Two covid insurance questions....

skillboy88

My family and I are going overseas for a month or so leaving Bangkok end of April this month. 

My wife and two kids have a Thai passport, I have a UK passport.

When returning back to Thailand one of the requirements is to have covid insurance minimum $20,000.

My first question is:

1. I seem to remember that the minimum $20,000 covid insurance definitely applies to foreigners (me) but do my wife and kids (who have Thai nationality) also need to have this insurance?

Second question is:
2. It says on various websites that "your covid insurance must be valid for the entire length of stay". I live in Bangkok permanently so does this mean I have to get covid insurance indefinitely? 

1) Thai’s do not need the insurance as they have access to social health care within Thailand. 

2) Coverage for length of stay - 30 days insurance cover will (should) do it. 

This issue has popped up a lot. You don’t submit a visa or visa status with your Thailand Pass application, so they don’t know that you live here etc.... in similar circumstances it has been reported that guys are getting approved with 30 days insurance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Thai’s do not need the insurance as they have access to social health care within Thailand. 

2) Coverage for length of stay - 30 days insurance cover will (should) do it. 

This issue has popped up a lot. You don’t submit a visa or visa status with your Thailand Pass application, so they don’t know that you live here etc.... in similar circumstances it has been reported that guys are getting approved with 30 days insurance. 

I've also seen it said a number of times that the insurance has to run until the end of the validity of your visa. Does the Thai Pass system really not ask what visa you're on and when it will expire? If so, then I guess 30 days may well be fine, but it seems unusually loose of the bureaucracy-loving Thais not to ask for copies of all and sundry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I've also seen it said a number of times that the insurance has to run until the end of the validity of your visa. Does the Thai Pass system really not ask what visa you're on and when it will expire? If so, then I guess 30 days may well be fine, but it seems unusually loose of the bureaucracy-loving Thais not to ask for copies of all and sundry.

The Thailand Pass process has nothing to do with your visa.

You are not asked what visa you are on, you are not asked to submit proof of any visa for the Thailand Pass.

30 days insurance is fine to get the Thailand pass. If you are on a long term visa or an extension of stay you do not need longer insurance. You are not asked to produce your Covid insurance when you pass through imigration.