Risk of coming back to Thailand when divorcing

Lolothai

Hi, I already posted my story about my breakup, my wife decided suddenly to make her life with a rich Thai man. She accepted to let me go to France with our 2 daughters,

I suppose that once she feels rich enough or bored she will wants them back, I have video where she said she prefers fun than family and that she is a prostitute since 2 years. I suppose that with this if ever she wanted them back I could get the custody as long as we are here in France.

I need to go to Thailand to clear something with my bank, I was wondering what would be the risk for me to got there. Could she said that I kidnapped the kids, despite having a letter from her for the immigration to leave Thailand? and could they put me in jail if I go to Thailand?

A friend of mine told me it was a risk

If you were not legally married to your wife in Thailand then you have no rights under Thai law as far as the children. If you feel there is a risk that she may do something then do not bring the children back. Also I suggest that you sort out your legal guardinship for the children under French law. As for the bank in Thailand, do not let anyone know that you are coming back to sort, fly in and fly out. If there is a real possibilty that you could have a problem here then do not come back for now. Money vs freedom, what is more important? Oh an in my experince Thais stick together, us farangs come second or third

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

we are married under Thai law and French law, I would never come back with my kids. Just me to transfer my money back to France.

Sensible move. Don't bring the kids back. Leave them safe and secure with family in France. I doubt very much that you will have any issues with immigration or police on return to Thailand unless there is a warrant for your arrest or detention. Certainly don't tell anyone you are coming. Advise you to clear up all your divorce, separation and child custody matters with your ex before she changes her mind.

If you do not take your children to Thailand then there is little to no risk.

That being said, do not tell anyone involved that you are making the trip. Do not make any posts on social media, either before or after your visit.

If your children talk to their mother then unfortunately I would advise you to tell your children that you are going somewhere for work, etc.

If you have any problems transferring your money to France then remember that you can hand carry an unlimited amount of cash out of the country if you declare it correctly.

You can read about how to do that here:

• Like 2

You should be safe indeed. But I wouldn't say no risk regardless of if you have shared custody in both countries and have the "permission to take the children out" letter from the mother. 

if the mother decides she wants the kids back one day, there are 2 laws at play: habitual residence of the kids and latest court order date. She'll quite easily and cheaply get sole custody in Thailand but a French court will hardly enforce it if you have clear video evidence that the mother wanted the kids to stay with you in France, several videos better. That and habitual evidence

Then, unfortunately, don't take the kids to Thailand until they're 12 or so and can speak for themselves. They need contact with their mother so not easy. I'd pay for the mother to visit them in France if they want and you can. Beware of cutting the mother off from them, not unusual that the longing for the mother creates an opposite reaction later in life. No bad talking the mother ever. 

About going to Thailand? Only risk would be that there's an arrest warrant registered with immigration, highly unlikely. Don't tell anyone and no "old" places of course

Should be fine, you're lucky ????

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Thanks 1

thank you very much for your answers, only my family knows about my trip to Thailand in July. I don't speak to the mother. I told her that she can contact the kids by webcam if she wants. I think she is very busy with her new boyfriend/sponsor. I did speak bad about her but I understand that it's not a good thing to do, despite the fact that she is a pure piece of garbage and extremely selfish.

When I left with the kids I knew that I would never bring them back willingly to Thailand before a certain age.

I think the mother isn't enough angry and a bit lazy to declare me to the immigration but who knows,

Let see in the next 3 months. I told her how a bad person she is, I think that's a pity compare to what she did to me. I was madly in love even after the worst betrayal and the last blow but since few days I feel better and I ended our contact by I think she worth nothing, I will move on and she can contact the kids after school.

I stopped sending messages after this.

She was in her happiness, power and ego crazy bubble so she didn't care much about what I was saying, however once it will burst she will probably start to want more and be a bit bitter.

I will see an advisor or lawyer and I will start to look to other destination for relaxing. I still have to make a trip to send back the money. I tried many ways but it looks difficult.

If you have to go to Thailand, tell nobody in Thailand your coming in.

As suggested, fly in do your business fly out.

How much money are you talking about?

When I left Last October in went to the bank and transferred out my retirement visa funds except 100,000 baht.

I've since drawn that down using my SCB debit card which works just fine in Canada.

No way I'm going back to Thailand after my ex got out of prison, after being inside for 9 years. She was a handful before but even her family says she is crazy now.

Good luck to you and your kids.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lolothai said:

thank you very much for your answers, only my family knows about my trip to Thailand in July. I don't speak to the mother. I told her that she can contact the kids by webcam if she wants. I think she is very busy with her new boyfriend/sponsor. I did speak bad about her but I understand that it's not a good thing to do, despite the fact that she is a pure piece of garbage and extremely selfish.

When I left with the kids I knew that I would never bring them back willingly to Thailand before a certain age.

I think the mother isn't enough angry and a bit lazy to declare me to the immigration but who knows,

Let see in the next 3 months. I told her how a bad person she is, I think that's a pity compare to what she did to me. I was madly in love even after the worst betrayal and the last blow but since few days I feel better and I ended our contact by I think she worth nothing, I will move on and she can contact the kids after school.

I stopped sending messages after this.

She was in her happiness, power and ego crazy bubble so she didn't care much about what I was saying, however once it will burst she will probably start to want more and be a bit bitter.

I will see an advisor or lawyer and I will start to look to other destination for relaxing. I still have to make a trip to send back the money. I tried many ways but it looks difficult.

We all know about  your trip in July!!!!

• Haha 1

You all know that a guy who lived in Thailand is coming in Thailand but nobody knows even the name of this guy... I could have made up the whole story it would be the same so I'm not too worried about what people know here or should I?

• Like 1

I would need to know how easily she could ask the immigration to arrest me if I enter in Thailand. I doubt she thought about it but it's quite stressful. Would be good if I could ask a thai lawyer.

Also interesting to know if this often happen, if there is many farang in jail after coming back to Thailand with the same situation than me.

Not sure about the meaning of seeling her bits, I suppose it's about prostitution. I suppose she is not selling anymore, she stays full time with this guy, he pays her daily and very well. I think she just found an opportunity to be the big boss of my or her house, have her independance, safety, etc.

He made her believe that she is a business woman, very clever etc etc

If tomorrow he leaves her she will probably try to find another sucker/sponsor instead of prostitution, if she can and has the money she will make her own business, prostitution is just one easy way to get what she wants.

22 hours ago, blackcab said:

If you do not take your children to Thailand then there is little to no risk.

That being said, do not tell anyone involved that you are making the trip. Do not make any posts on social media, either before or after your visit.

If your children talk to their mother then unfortunately I would advise you to tell your children that you are going somewhere for work, etc.

If you have any problems transferring your money to France then remember that you can hand carry an unlimited amount of cash out of the country if you declare it correctly.

You can read about how to do that here:

Thank you for your answer, I have only around 350 000 bahts to transfer, I have an application to do it but unfortunately I added the wrong account and I need a OTP code to add the account where the money is.

I also very much want to be able to come back to Thailand for vacation.

Do you know how easy it would be for her to ask the immigration to arrest me, does she just have to go to the immigration and ask? or does she needs a lawyer? if she needs a lawyer then I'm pretty sure she won't bother.

13 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

Not sure about the meaning of seeling her bits, I suppose it's about prostitution. I suppose she is not selling anymore, she stays full time with this guy, he pays her daily and very well. I think she just found an opportunity to be the big boss of my or her house, have her independance, safety, etc.

He made her believe that she is a business woman, very clever etc etc

If tomorrow he leaves her she will probably try to find another sucker/sponsor instead of prostitution, if she can and has the money she will make her own business, prostitution is just one easy way to get what she wants.

Ahhh ok, so she was a prostitute when she was with you, not this new fella.

Depend how you define prostitution if it's to pay to get sex then she is still a prostitute but to one guy only. She told me that as soon as he stops to pay her she will get another one. So everyday he pays her, bring her everywhere and <deleted> her. He let her do some fake job in his company, where she just wait in the car or outside and she believes that she could take over his business or make the same business once she got all the information. If necessary she will betray him too.

She is pretty proud of it, it's only 1 month and I won't get the update from now on.

2 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Do you know how easy it would be for her to ask the immigration to arrest me, does she just have to go to the immigration and ask? or does she needs a lawyer?

She needs to file a criminal complaint with the police to do this.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how long ago you got shafted, but I had a Thai woman (my first) do the same thing. Hurt a lot but its best to just forget it and not dwell on it. You are only driving yourself mad by thinking about how wrong she was what ill happen and so on. 

Its unproductive and will only make you feel worse. Just forget about it and go on with your life. In the future you might have to be in contact again because of the kids. So if you bottle up all that hate it will not good for you or your kids.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lolothai said:

That one line tells me that--For sure she is going to know you are here.  I am sure there are ways to get that money transferred across. Even if you had to pay a lawyer.

9,000 Euro's your going to spend most of that on your holiday/air/hotels.

You just want to come back to Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't know how long ago you got shafted, but I had a Thai woman (my first) do the same thing. Hurt a lot but its best to just forget it and not dwell on it. You are only driving yourself mad by thinking about how wrong she was what ill happen and so on. 

Its unproductive and will only make you feel worse. Just forget about it and go on with your life. In the future you might have to be in contact again because of the kids. So if you bottle up all that hate it will not good for you or your kids.

You are right but that's just a step, it's only one month, slowly I focus on more important things.

5 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

That one line tells me that--For sure she is going to know you are here.  I am sure there are ways to get that money transferred across. Even if you had to pay a lawyer.

9,000 Euro's your going to spend most of that on your holiday/air/hotels.

You just want to come back to Thailand.

I have 3 months to think and find a solution, maybe there is other destinations where I can get the same relaxing time.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, Lolothai said:

we are married under Thai law and French law, I would never come back with my kids. Just me to transfer my money back to France.

Get them French Passports since EU citizens cannot be forcefully removed from the EU

2 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Yes they have both thai and french passport, they have french citizenship and they are at school already.

France does not allow its citizens to be extradited to Thailand. Inside EU your children are safe from her.

11 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Thank you for your answer, I have only around 350 000 bahts to transfer, I have an application to do it but unfortunately I added the wrong account and I need a OTP code to add the account where the money is.

Do you know how easy it would be for her to ask the immigration to arrest me, does she just have to go to the immigration and ask? or does she needs a lawyer? if she needs a lawyer then I'm pretty sure she won't bother.

Arrest you on what offence ?

• Thanks 1

I will say straight off that I have never used it, andI don't know if it will be any good to you for returning money to France, but have a look at DeeMoney here in Thailand.

It might be another option if you have problems.

12 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Arrest you on what offence ?

She could change her mind and says that I kidnapped my kids, despite the fact that I had a letter from her to take them and she video call the immigration to tell them there is no problem. Also I can even try to make her say on facebook that she wants them with me here to get a better education.

3 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I have 3 months to think and find a solution, maybe there is other destinations where I can get the same relaxing time.

Yes of course,take your kids on holiday some where in France!

Don't be looking for trouble! Be smart.