Car Reviews (personal 'Thai' experience)

KhunLA

3 minutes ago, JOCKANESE said:

Cheers Yellowtail. The Commander is a newer variant (poor guys Legender / Fortuner) made in Indonesia i think.

I just looked at the Commander, it has what looks like the same red/black interior as my Fortuner. I still love the colors...

Fortuner Commander (toyota.co.th)

Edited by Yellowtail
link

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I just looked at the Commander, it has what looks like the same red/black interior as my Fortuner. I still love the colors...

Fortuner Commander (toyota.co.th)

Yes, it looks good. It has a few of the things i prefer for out in the sticks (like the shocks) but cuts back on some of the other stuff i can do without. Maybe available in 2-3 months from the info i had recently.

5 minutes ago, JOCKANESE said:

Yes, it looks good. It has a few of the things i prefer for out in the sticks (like the shocks) but cuts back on some of the other stuff i can do without. Maybe available in 2-3 months from the info i had recently.

Yes it looks good, just wish they made a 4Runner here. I like it as it's a little bigger and I have one in the US I have given my oldest daughter 

Edited by ThailandRyan

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes it looks good, just wish they made a 4Runner here. I like it as it's a little bigger and I have one in the US I have given my oldest daughter 

Edited by JOCKANESE

On 4/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, ThailandRyan said:

The 4Runner used to be on the same platform as the Tacoma but it is now on the same Hilux platform as the Fortuner. 

My older sister has a 4Runner and it seemed to have more legroom, but it's about ten years old. 

no photo

2018 Toyota Ativ poverty spec - can't fault it at all. Bought it as the cheapest and safest car at the time with 7 airbags - 430k at the time, couldn't justify 200k more for fake leather, backup camera and no satnav.

Put in a large display unit and speaker, viper alarm and when I ripped the tire open, replaced the steal wheels with unused Toyota alloys with tires for 10k. When I ruined two of those tires, bought another set of wheels, replaced them and sold the others, cost 5k to swap full set of rubber.

Bit slow off the mark with four people in it, but will cruise at 140 quite happily.

Downside - no remote mirror adjuster, only thing I've missed 

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Just had to replace the Battery in my MG HS, 11 months old and it was starting to have problems staying above 12 V.  Drove it on Saturday parked  it on Sunday, and Monday AM battery down to 8.6 V.  Had the MG Service folks come out and jump start it.  Drove it to MG and after testing the entire system and checking the battery the meter and the test strip indicated the battery needed to be replaced.  Thankfully the Battery was still under warranty for another 14 days.  As it is an I-Smart vehicle and push button start the batteries needed are a little more money.  Had I had to pay for it it would have cost me around 13k Thb.  Checked the car today after driving it the past two days and the battery is sitting at 13.4V.  The Technician blames it on the heat and the i-smart app if your using it to check on your vehicle.  Only time i open up the app is to start the car to cool it before driving it.  Apparently the app will wake the car and it runs through the system thus using battery power.

Most I've had here is just over two years, but that required a few water top ups. Heat kills batteries here.

• 9 months later...

Bump up for this thread, in case unseen, or you'd like to add to it.

"Review cars you've bought & owned in TH"

We actually upgraded to the EV version of the OP .. MG ZS

2020 MG EV ICE - 2022 MG ZS EV

If interested it that, or just those sharing experiences of the EVs in TH, especially if in the market, the this thread may interest:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276247-ev-owners-…-real-life-experience-help-thread/#comments

Short version ... Lovin' ours, and highly recommend folks take a peek at EVs, if shopping for something new.  More availability and better pricing since 2020.

• 3 months later...

Bump up, and honorable mention to our previously owned 2012 Mazda 2 sedan, which the daughter got, when we picked up the MG ZS ICE in 2020.  Now have the EV 2022 version, and loving it.

Anyway, she's decided to keep, as going strong, and hoping to squeeze 10 more years out of it.   Limited driving since living at Krung Thep, with a weekly run up to Rangsit, her main driving.   Aside from picking up materials locally for her business, but well < 10k a year.  Knocking on 200kms now I think.  So 300kms shouldn't be a problem, with minimal upkeep. 

Kudos to the M2 as already got our moneys worth out of it, since depreciated down to ฿100k+ range.   Not really worth selling or upgrading, for new 'payments', instead putting those toward a mortgage. ????

M2, great knock around town car, so so for highway driving, comfort & road noise level, our only issue, and tolerable, especially if not out & about much.

Same with most Japanese branded entry level 'made in TH' cars.

Our experience with Toyota (Vios (2)) & Mazda 2.

HAPPY MOTORING

Edited by KhunLA

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, Lacessit said:

There's been some horror stories about Nissan CVT's.

Having said that, IIRC the fluid change is specified at 70,000 km, so 30,000 km is a fairly large safety margin. The horror stories most likely come from poor maintenance, or the wrong fluid being used.

Do you find the CVT is rather gutless on the mountain roads?

Th swift we had also had a cvt. No problems but we sold the car at 115k kms. This was the cheapest to maintain car we have ever owned and used to average 18km/l. CVT's on this car can exceed 300K kms with proper maintenance (according to an independent suzuki garage I know of).  Shocks and bushes fail well before the cvt will. 

• Like 1