Are airless tyres legal?

9 hours ago, rwill said:

I don't like them.  I can't figure out how much air pressure to put in them....

About 14.7 pounds per square inch at sea level. At higher elevations, it should be less, but I understand that they will automatically adjust. High tech indeed.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:
23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn’t feel comfortable going round gentle expressway bend at 120kmh with them. 

Are we to take it you would be quite comfortable driving like that on a space saver tyre?

Are we to take you think this ‘airless’ tyre is a replacement for a ‘space saver’ tyre... effectively making it no space saver at all ???? !!!!

I may have needed to a little more specific to avoid your obtuseness....   here....

'I wouldn’t feel comfortable going round gentle expressway bend at 120kmh driving with four of them instead of conventional tyres’.... 

There you, better ?

10 hours ago, wombat said:

having driven on dirt roads and bush tracks for most of my adult life i would be concerned with rocks entering inbetween the baffle things, not clearing and destroying the tyre from the inside out every time the wheel went round and did not conform like its supposed to

The roads in Bangkok aren't dirt.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are we to take you think this ‘airless’ tyre is a replacement for a ‘space saver’ tyre... effectively making it no space saver at all ???? !!!!

You would have to show me where I said that.

Every tyre has a specification which should be observed and your comment was aimed at discrediting the reliability of that specification.

Your mental  comfort has little to to with the validity of the product in question. Time will tell, it usually does.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:
22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You would have to show me where I said that.

Every tyre has a specification which should be observed and your comment was aimed at discrediting the reliability of that specification.

Your mental  comfort has little to to with the validity of the product in question. Time will tell, it usually does.

Obviously my mistake... You didn’t mention space saver at all... :whistling:

On 4/12/2022 at 10:10 AM, sandyf said:

Are we to take it you would be quite comfortable driving like that on a space saver tyre?

Nearly correct, my comment was suspicious of that specification of tyre (Airless). 

I would not want to drive around an expressway corner at 120kmh with those on my car.

Would you ?...

You’d want testing first right?, real world testing before you put your family in a car with those tires, right ?.....   Or can’t you state such, because you’d be a hypocrite after accusing me of ‘discrediting the reliability of that specification [of airless tyre]’....

On 4/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, AustinRacing said:

A civic pulled up next to me today. I wonder whether their legal?  I hear mixed feedback about them. I wouldn’t use them. Would you?

They're not commercially available for consumers' cars and won't be for years, when they are, they will be legal, obviously. 

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would one not try them? 

I remember when no one trusted radials....

Like the concept, hope they develop them successfully the next year or so.   Flat tires just suck, period.  No blow outs in the front, will surely save lives.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Like the concept, hope they develop them successfully the next year or so.   Flat tires just suck, period.  No blow outs in the front, will surely save lives.

Have not had a flat in over ten years. Everything's a tradeoff. 

Semi-pneumatics on fork-trucks were sure a game-changer.

• Like 1