Best area to stay with a dog in Bangkok

Ido22

Hey everyone,
Relocating in 2 months to Bangkok from Singapore, and looking for best areas to stay with a dog in Bangkok, preferably near a park which can be used for walks and such,

Any suggestions, will be greatly appreciated.

Side question, is it for real that dogs wont be allowed into Lumpini Park & Benchakitti Park ?

How big is your dog? It's easier with a small dog because you can carry them when the street dogs are a problem. 

Dogs aren't allowed in most parks, and it's strictly enforced. There has been talk of them making a section of Lumpini or Benjakitti forest park dog friendly, but nothing seems to be coming of it. You can walk along the green mile between them, but not in the parks themselves.

The main park that allows dogs is Nong Bon, and it's not exactly central, but it's worth the effort. There are several paid dog parks (e.g., Dogpark 49, Trail and Tail, Dogvibes). Some malls have dog areas too.

• Like 1

Thailand and especially Bangkok is not pet friendly.  Assuming you want long rental, so no recommendation, though in short term, mentioned, Ibis hotels accept dogs / 10kg max.

Mentioned, no pets in parks, and very little green areas.  It's a challenge, as we travel with our dog.  Once here you'll have to personal check any areas your interested in.  'Downtown', land is simply too expensive not to build, hence, no green areas, yard, unless private house having, and very expensive.

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

How big is your dog? It's easier with a small dog because you can carry them when the street dogs are a problem. 

Dogs aren't allowed in most parks, and it's strictly enforced. There has been talk of them making a section of Lumpini or Benjakitti forest park dog friendly, but nothing seems to be coming of it. You can walk along the green mile between them, but not in the parks themselves.

The main park that allows dogs is Nong Bon, and it's not exactly central, but it's worth the effort. There are several paid dog parks (e.g., Dogpark 49, Trail and Tail, Dogvibes). Some malls have dog areas too.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it

My dog is medium size about 20kg or so, and usually needs quite a bit of walks everyday to keep her calm,

Would you suggest maybe to stay around Nong Bon park?

I was considering to stay around Ekkamai, but not so sure how pet friendly this area would be

Do you know what's the main reason behind not allowing dogs inside most parks? cuz of strays?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

private house with garden, somewhere in suburbs.

Probably close to canal, to walk along.

Planning to rent a landed with garden,

Do you have any suggestion for area at the suburbs to look at?

39 minutes ago, internationalism said:

yes, west of river. Less people, less cars, more trees, orchards and canals.

talling chan. That's where I chosen to live with my dogs 

Thanks a ton for the suggestion, I'll for sure take a look around this area and generally west of the river.

Is there specific part of talling chan which is better to stay at? as from a quick search it seems pretty big area

Is it generally okay to walk next to the canals? Is snakes big thing to be worry of?

• Like 1

usually there are paths along canals, local roads. Or even possible to walk on the wall of canal itself.

The furthest you go west, or any other direction from the town centre, skyscrapers, the cheaper rent becomes - you you are able to get a larger own house.

I can look for budget house some 10km west of khaosan. You can get it just by monthly. And move anytime anywhere more suitable, once you get bored or find more suitable. But it's completely different from you wanted at ekkamai.

15 hours ago, Ido22 said:

Do you know what's the main reason behind not allowing dogs inside most parks?

The reason is dog c_rap.  The only exercise most dog owners want their mutts to partake in is bowel exercise...well away from their own homes.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The reason is dog c_rap.  The only exercise most dog owners want their mutts to partake in is bowel exercise...well away from their own homes.

Then it's a good job all the street dogs that roam the parks don't <deleted> there! 

18 hours ago, Ido22 said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it

My dog is medium size about 20kg or so, and usually needs quite a bit of walks everyday to keep her calm,

Would you suggest maybe to stay around Nong Bon park?

I was considering to stay around Ekkamai, but not so sure how pet friendly this area would be

Do you know what's the main reason behind not allowing dogs inside most parks? cuz of strays?

Just so you know, 20kg is considered large here. My 13kg dog is usually considered medium, but sometimes even he gets classed as large. It makes a difference because the condos that do allow dogs usually have a weight limit. A lot of the condos we looked initially had weight limits of 8-10kg.

My nearest BTS is On Nut. We rent a house with a decent sized yard. This was as far along the BTS line as we could come and still have a semi-reasonable commute. The yard isn't a substitute for walks, and my dog needs to get out for a proper walk every couple of days at least. We live on a long quiet street so we can walk locally a few times a day, but he gets bored with that, so we are leasing a car to get to Nong Bon. It's a PITA but I haven't found a better alternative yet. 

I've only been here a year, and I don't know if it's the same everywhere in the city, but around here there's a big difference between the soi dogs that live on side streets and the ones that live on waste ground or along the canals. The ones on side streets usually live alone or in a pair, and they are generally community dogs who are being fed and somewhat cared for by people along that stretch of the road. They aren't keen on new dogs in their area, but they get used to them after a few weeks and won't bother you or your dog after that. The other ones usually live in a small pack, and they are a lot more aggressive, especially with dogs. I can't walk along any of the canals round here, and there's only one patch of waste ground we can go on. That's because a community dog controls it and will allow my dog in there. She won't allow the pack from across the street in. 

Knowing what I do now, I probably would have gone for a condo in Downtown49 instead. It's the only truly dog-friendly condo I've found here, and there is a roof terrace where dogs can be off lead and play. (They are supposed to be on lead at Nong Bon though some people let them off at the end of the spur or when doing the loop). The ubiquitous condo shuttle goes to the two local paid dog parks as well.

If I had the flexibility to move out as far as Nong Bon, I'd probably opt to move right out of the city instead.

Be aware that if you walk your dog in a public area there's a very real risk that it will be attacked by feral dogs.

Even in my (upmarket) moobaan, my first dog (recently deceased, and pretty large by Thai standards) was attacked four times, first when he was a puppy by a dog owned by a builder, then three times by a female Siberian husky owned by a senior policeman who couldn't be bothered to secure his property properly.  In all cases this was when I was walking him (my dog, not the senior policeman) on a lead.

Incidentally, I suggest you learn the technique of taking off your footwear and throwing it at an attacking dog repeatedly.  Very helpful in extremis.

22 hours ago, Ido22 said:

I live in Ekkamai and it's not great. We are lucky in that we live in a private community and there is little traffic so we walk our gals, but to go anywhere else is a pain. Grab now do Pet taxis and there are various places you can go. Dog Park 49 is expensive and Tail & Trail is both more so (and they are also unfriendly as part of the price). We bought a stroller to take our dogs places locally but rarely use it as there's nowhere to walk to. The klong here has obstacles on the pathway and motorbikes roar up and down it. Not great for dogs.

I

9 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I live about 2.5km from Nong Bon and love that park.  It also has a lot of trees so there is some shade.  BTS a little far away but very doable.  MRT line coming in at Sri Nahkrin which will really help.  

Don't know how BTS / MRT helps with a dog, unless a pocketbook dog you can hide.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

We live on a long quiet street so we can walk locally a few times a day, but he gets bored with that,

Depends which side of Sukumvit you live. Ie. There is a small klong at the bottom of Soi 54 if you live on that side.

If you live on the other side there are a few small klongs with paths. Soi 85 crosses one. There is one at the bottom of On Nut 28. 

Etc, etc.

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I live about 2.5km from Nong Bon and love that park.  It also has a lot of trees so there is some shade.  BTS a little far away but very doable.  MRT line coming in at Sri Nahkrin which will really help.  

No pets allowed?

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know how BTS / MRT helps with a dog, unless a pocketbook dog you can hide.

I was assuming that people would have to go to work and would need a viable means to do so.  Was not actually suggesting that one take their dog on either.  Sorry for the confusion.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I was assuming that people would have to go to work and would need a viable means to do so.  Was not actually suggesting that one take their dog on either.  Sorry for the confusion.  

Hmm ... OK, makes sense.  My brain is always in tourist or retirement mode.  

I guess they'd be handy then also ... 1 + 1 does equal 2

Edited by KhunLA