Windows 11 - why?

toast1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Only one poster mentioned support. Support for Win10 will run out in 2023 and with support I mean mostly security updates. Or who wants to work with a vulnerable OS ?

I actually do not know the exact date when Win10 support runs out. By that time I consider upgrading a must. Not for functional purposes at all, though.

Support will continue until the 14th of October 2025. Get your facts straight before posting.

Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.

Windows 10 Home and Pro   Oct 14, 2025

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Support will continue until the 14th of October 2025. Get your facts straight before posting.

Windows 10 Home and Pro   Oct 14, 2025

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

What I posted was based on a publication I read some time ago, not pure guessing. Obviously policies have changed since then. So thank you for proving me wrong and providing the updated schedule - 2025 suits me much better.

• Like 1

Reddit has an extensive discussion w/ over 400 comments here, covers it pretty well.

Is windows 11 worth upgrading to? What’s have you all decided to do with regards to upgrading?

Started by a redditor who confessed:

I updated it as curiosity got the better of me and I thought how bad could it be…

It lasted two hours before I reverted back to windows 10!

Seems the Start menu has been improved somewhat over Win 10's, which has been compared to a colostomy bag. I'd still use third-party apps to get it and the taskbar (major source of complaints) really useable again. 

Not seeing any reasons for me to "upgrade" yet. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Reddit has an extensive discussion w/ over 400 comments here, covers it pretty well.

Is windows 11 worth upgrading to? What’s have you all decided to do with regards to upgrading?

Started by a redditor who confessed:

I updated it as curiosity got the better of me and I thought how bad could it be…

It lasted two hours before I reverted back to windows 10!

Seems the Start menu has been improved somewhat over Win 10's, which has been compared to a colostomy bag. I'd still use third-party apps to get it and the taskbar (major source of complaints) really useable again. 

Not seeing any reasons for me to "upgrade" yet. 

Link to the colostomy bag reference please. And who was the Redditor who went back to W10 after 2 hours. I have had W11 since last October on two PCs and have had no problems whatsoever, as have many millions of Users.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Link to the colostomy bag reference please. And who was the Redditor who went back to W10 after 2 hours. I have had W11 since last October on two PCs and have had no problems whatsoever, as have many millions of Users.

Colostomy bag was in a discussion on Ars Technica, if you want to find it. Funny and appropriate. M'soft finally got some of the message. Onward and upward! 

The redditor is the OP in the thread I gave the link to. Wedding_Worth is his username, if that helps. Just left-click on the title of the reddit thread, and you'll be taken right there. ????

Funny, the OP himself described a problem w/ the taskbar. In fact the taskbar has other problems of which you're blissfully unaware, IF one wants the full functionality available in the Win 10 taskbar--which I'd want. We might call it a downgrade. But hardly the only problems users have w/ Win 11. The uptake for Win 11 has been surprisingly slow, but part of that is of course the TPM. Which I suppose can still be worked around, but why bother. ????

Go read some experiences.

I tried Win 11 for a couple of days until it crushed itself to become literally unusable (minor windows update resulted in all USB ports not working anymore). I had removed the Bing part oft the search via Winaero Tweaker and that made it a lot more usable than on Win 10.

Now I'm back on 10, waiting for 12.

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Colostomy bag was in a discussion on Ars Technica, if you want to find it. Funny and appropriate. M'soft finally got some of the message. Onward and upward! 

The redditor is the OP in the thread I gave the link to. Wedding_Worth is his username, if that helps. Just left-click on the title of the reddit thread, and you'll be taken right there. ????

Funny, the OP himself described a problem w/ the taskbar. In fact the taskbar has other problems of which you're blissfully unaware, IF one wants the full functionality available in the Win 10 taskbar--which I'd want. We might call it a downgrade. But hardly the only problems users have w/ Win 11. The uptake for Win 11 has been surprisingly slow, but part of that is of course the TPM. Which I suppose can still be worked around, but why bother. ????

Go read some experiences.

I tried Win 11 for a couple of days until it crushed itself to become literally unusable (minor windows update resulted in all USB ports not working anymore). I had removed the Bing part oft the search via Winaero Tweaker and that made it a lot more usable than on Win 10.

Now I'm back on 10, waiting for 12.

Well that is ONE experience. Let's have a poll........how many members are happy with W11.

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Well that is ONE experience. Let's have a poll........how many members are happy with W11.

We in primary school now? Show of hands? Yeah, that'll help. ???? Let's try to think for ourselves, shall we?

So you didn't look at all the other experiences in the reddit discussion. Here's the reddit support forum w/ 86k readers and maybe 150 online at any time.

Windows 11

Where you'll find (cough) more than one experience.

Besides things that often don't work well for many people (Bluetooth), and the myriad annoyances (right-click), calendar, one overarching complaint relates to the further general dumbing down of Windows, such as with the taskbar, requiring more clicking and bother to get at a setting. For example, the swallowing of the Control Panel into the Settings app that started in Win 10 is worse in Win 11. 'Course if M'soft didn't continue, then fans of the dumbing down and critics alike will complain of an inconsistent UX. Which it still is in 11, just not as much as in 10. 

Not to say that Win 11 doesn't improve some things. There's an older review in The Verge, summarized here, that lists out a good selection, but Win 11 ends up with 10 Pros vs 13 Cons, even counting the improvements in Start menu.

Unfortunately, I don't see any Pro I'd find particularly useful and didn't think some Pros are really Pros for me. For one, being herded to the App store and, if not now, eventually needing to login to get an app as part of M'soft's new business model.

Edited by BigStar

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

We in primary school now? Show of hands? Yeah, that'll help. ???? Let's try to think for ourselves, shall we?

So you didn't look at all the other experiences in the reddit discussion. Here's the reddit support forum w/ 86k readers and maybe 150 online at any time.

Windows 11

Where you'll find (cough) more than one experience.

Besides things that often don't work well for many people (Bluetooth), and the myriad annoyances (right-click), calendar, one overarching complaint relates to the further general dumbing down of Windows, such as with the taskbar, requiring more clicking and bother to get at a setting. For example, the swallowing of the Control Panel into the Settings app that started in Win 10 is worse in Win 11. 'Course if M'soft didn't continue, then fans of the dumbing down and critics alike will complain of an inconsistent UX. Which it still is in 11, just not as much as in 10. 

Not to say that Win 11 doesn't improve some things. There's an older review in The Verge, summarized here, that lists out a good selection, but Win 11 ends up with 10 Pros vs 13 Cons, even counting the improvements in Start menu.

Unfortunately, I don't see any Pro I'd find particularly useful and didn't think some Pros are really Pros for me. For one, being herded to the App store and, if not now, eventually needing to login to get an app as part of M'soft's new business model.

I take your points, but all I know is that I personally have had NO problems with W11 on two (unsupported) PCs. There are a few things one has to re-learn, as you do if you bought a new car, but I managed and like it.

Downloaded my upgrade from 10 to 11 last night and now fully running. Can someone plse advise where do I now find the task bar to shutdown the computor or do a restart. Thanks from a 75 yr old computor illiterate !!!!

On 4/13/2022 at 3:20 AM, decca60 said:

I am om Windows 11 for 3 months now, coming from a previous computer on Windows 8.1. Lots of differences you have to get used to but performance and the multiple screen stuff are a plus. Also are the widgets you can install.

2 weaknesses I have noticed;

Bing is not the best search system and there is no way to have another one

Every update of Windows changes something in my printing software configuration and every task remains working except the scan function. So I have to repair it and it works again. Don t ask me why, every single expert I have consulted has no clue about the reason....

Globally happy with it so far. No bug at all.

I agree with you that Bing is very bad so why not remove it and all other MS Bloatware. I don't understand what you mean "..no way to have another one".  Download the program ThisIsWin11 from GitHub. Very simple to use and you can configure and remove everything you want in an easy way.

I've had Win 11 for about a month now and I think it's pretty good after I removed all the <deleted> and turned of all the spying, advertising and telemetry.

Don't use older versions of Windows especially Win 7 that no longer is supported. You are going to have security issues.

5 hours ago, milys said:

Don't use older versions of Windows especially Win 7 that no longer is supported. You are going to have security issues.

You sound like you sell software for a living....

10 is older than 11 but you are saying not to use that.......

Surprised you didn't mention XP as well whilst you were at it.......????

On 4/19/2022 at 4:40 PM, topt said:

You sound like you sell software for a living....

10 is older than 11 but you are saying not to use that.......

Surprised you didn't mention XP as well whilst you were at it.......????

I never said don't use Win11 but I said because of security issues that makes Win7 much more vulnerable you shouldn't use it anymore.

And no I don't sell software.

TL;dr - If you are on Win 10, no rush to upgrade. Microsoft will provide support until 2025. There's nothing that's a must-have in Win 11 you need right now.

I use Win 10 (work) and Win 11 (home) not too much of a difference from either day-to-day tasks. Gaming sees a slight improvement, but won't be noticeable for most. If you have an HDR monitor, Win 11's auto HDR feature and general HDR tweaks makes games look better. If you don't game, or you game and don't are about those features, there's no real difference.

What was going to be Win 11-only gaming enhancements are now coming to Win 10 (direct storage, HDR and other gaming-related tweaks). These features are in the current Win 10 Insider's Program.

Running Android apps on Win 11 is okay, but if you don't use Android you most likely won't care.

Win 11 does have some UI inconsistencies and a few hiccups, so user beware.