Windows 11 - why?

toast1

Depends on usage, for most things probably not much difference. You can run android apps, teams chat, better performance/multitasking. Mostly a different look/feel (closer to the apple world).

• Haha 1

i decided to upgrade, cant say that im noticing much difference. Sure it takes a bit of getting used to some stuff but that is always the same. Other then that cant say it bothers me. ALso can't say im impressed. Though the new desktop options for multiple screens are better.

• Like 1

I am om Windows 11 for 3 months now, coming from a previous computer on Windows 8.1. Lots of differences you have to get used to but performance and the multiple screen stuff are a plus. Also are the widgets you can install.

2 weaknesses I have noticed;

Bing is not the best search system and there is no way to have another one

Every update of Windows changes something in my printing software configuration and every task remains working except the scan function. So I have to repair it and it works again. Don t ask me why, every single expert I have consulted has no clue about the reason....

Globally happy with it so far. No bug at all.

24 minutes ago, decca60 said:

Bing is not the best search system

Indeed Bing is a bad search system, you have to change to a privacy minded search engine like DuckDuckGo, Quant, there are some more.

and there is no way to have another one

I am working with Firefox as default browser and DuckDuckGo as default search engine. The new versions of Firefox, allow you to change the Bing search with one click only to the desired one.

• Like 1

Hi , i am using W 11  from last year from w 10 and I noticed quite a few differences. As I am using MS SQL Server and Visual Studio 19 and 22, w 11 is unavoidable. Visual Studio 22 is now 64 bit ( I had problem running it on w10 for some reason and since W11 no problems at all). Also the new Office is runing better on W11. I agree with multi screen performance. Big trouble for me with w10 for running multi monitors with different resolutions despite having a good graphic card.

Edited by erymax
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

My idea is this.

If you have a W10 laptop/PC now, then just leave it as is.

But if you will be buying a new laptop/PC, then suggest W11 from this moment on, as once W11 becomes more prevalent, Microsoft will gradually phase out W10 upgrades anyway.

Yes, as they already announced extending their previous announcement of ending support for W10.

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I only went to win10 when I bought a laptop that had it pre-installed. I want to ditch it for 7 or Linux.

I've disabled updates for the last two years and found a way to delete Edge so it doesn't continually hijack my file app associations and unloaded most of the bloatware. Now it's marginally tolerable. Bing is a sad data vacuum for Microsoft profit. 

No way I'd walk into the new and even more invasive minefield called Win11. I want to use a computer, not be forever at war with it.

My next computer will be wiped and start clean with a Linux distro. Windows never again, and most certainly not Apple.

If you go to Linux, try Linux Mint. I have it on another machine of mine and it is very good

My laptop came with Win10 and upgraded to Win11 itself when auto updates had been enabled.

Overall I prefer Win11 look and feel after getting used to the changes, some of which I don't like such as two layers of right click context menus of file explorer. I never use Edge or Bing that have been mentioned above. Always Firefox and other search engines for me. Office 2021 integrates well included the cracked version of Office. I only have issues with the screen snipping tool using multiple monitors (flashes all screens on/off during use), an issue that I had with Win10 that was sorted out but until now with Win11 hasn't been, probably related to my own hardware. I turned off Teams, Widgets as I never use them.

I have occasionally had BSOD screens with the same error of what failed stornvme.sys - but it hasn't happened for a few weeks, and never happened with Win10. It takes about 5 minutes to save the data and reboot normally. This is the only annoying Win11 feature if there was one for me.

I run Linux on other PCs and would stick with Linux if I didn't need so many Windows based applications.

Windows 11 can be considered a technical update.

Except for some details, Windows 11 brings no improvements for the user over Windows 10.

Windows 11 comes with harsh hardware requirements though.

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you go to Linux, try Linux Mint. I have it on another machine of mine and it is very good

I believe @RocketDog probably knows all about Linux.

After looking at what Win 11 offers, I can't see I'd have any need to "upgrade." My lean & mean Win 10 does everything I'll need for the foreseeable future. I'll do just fine after it reaches end-of-life. For that matter, I could even use 7 w/ some good third-party utils. And another thing: Win 8.1 was pretty d_amn good. For the record. ????

And I could switch to Linux for most things these days. I'd do so if M'soft tries to force Win 11 on me--which it won't, of course.

Reminds me of an old discussion wherein our techies were all jumping on the advanced Windows Vista bandwagon. I waited, correctly figuring it'd be another Windows Me. Skipped it entirely.????

I keep a Mint installation updated and use it esp. when traveling. Like it a lot; I'm not going to fool around w/ Arch, btw. However, I'll probably move to a rolling release model and avoid the version upgrades. They aren't that bad w/ Mint's upgrade facility but nonetheless time-consuming and sometimes offer a bit of drama. Thought about Manjaro, but I'm currently trying out OpenSUSE Tumbleweed in a VM, and it's looking mighty fine.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Though the new desktop options for multiple screens are better.

There has always been the multiple SCREEN options since long ago.

I think you are referring to the multiple DESKTOP options

28 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I believe @RocketDog probably knows all about Linux.

After looking at what Win 11 offers, I can't see I'd have any need to "upgrade." My lean & mean Win 10 does everything I'll need for the foreseeable future. I'll do just fine after it reaches end-of-life. For that matter, I could even use 7 w/ some good third-party utils. And another thing: Win 8.1 was pretty d_amn good. For the record. ????

And I could switch to Linux for most things these days. I'd do so if M'soft tries to force Win 11 on me--which it won't, of course.

Reminds me of an old discussion wherein our techies were all jumping on the advanced Windows Vista bandwagon. I waited, correctly figuring it'd be another Windows Me. Skipped it entirely.????

I keep a Mint installation updated and use it esp. when traveling. Like it a lot; I'm not going to fool around w/ Arch, btw. However, I'll probably move to a rolling release model and avoid the version upgrades. They aren't that bad w/ Mint's upgrade facility but nonetheless time-consuming and sometimes offer a bit of drama. Thought about Manjaro, but I'm currently trying out OpenSUSE Tumbleweed in a VM, and it's looking mighty fine.

I have no problems with win 11, just upgraded as i thought it could possibly help with an unsolved error. Unfortunately, it did not help. Now I have win 11 and to be honest I don't really think its all that different. Sure I have to look were some stuff is hidden away but that is not a problem. Having 5TB for m2 ssd (a 2 and 3 tm) plugged on the motherboard with the I9 from intel that is made for windows i don't really see why not.

But if your machine is a bit limited then I also don't see why anyone would have upgrade. Besides the multi monitor and multi desktop things (both great for my work) i don't really see much of a difference.