20 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Hopea odorata (Takhian)

Our neighbor has several in his yard that border ours.  Huge trees.  I like to watch the helicopter seeds flutter down

Close, but no cigar. ????   I'm no taxonomist, but I've got the book and the fascination, and that one looks to me like Dipterocarpus alatus. (another species in the Dipterocarp family).  I'll forward the pic to my friend for confirmation, who is an expert in native trees of northern Thailand. Photos of entire tree and close up of leaves would help. 

D. alatus is the species of large trees planted along the 106, CM - Lamphun Rd.  

Forest Trees of Northern Thailand  (Gardener)  pg 64  (Key to seed ID for the family Dipterocarpaceae, includes Dipterocarpus, Hopea, Shorea, all with winged seeds).  

5 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Close, but no cigar. ????   I'm no taxonomist, but I've got the book and the fascination, and that one looks to me like Dipterocarpus alatus. (another species in the Dipterocarp family).  I'll forward the pic to my friend for confirmation, who is an expert in native trees of northern Thailand. Photos of entire tree and close up of leaves would help. 

D. alatus is the species of large trees planted along the 106, CM - Lamphun Rd.  

Forest Trees of Northern Thailand  (Gardener)  pg 64  (Key to seed ID for the family Dipterocarpaceae, includes Dipterocarpus, Hopea, Shorea, all with winged seeds).  

Well, I'm wrong. My friend IDs it as a seed from Dipterocarpus tuberculatus  'Phluang'.

"Listed by the RFD as the most abundant forest tree in Chiang Mai Province".