The "What I DIY'd over the holidays" thread.

Crossy

Meanwhile, I didn't recognise some of the container plants, not unusual Madam has a LOT of plants.

But it turns out that they actually belong to a friend, "k. Anne" who only has a small moo-bahn garden, so on occasion she swaps out the plants with ones which are "boarding" at our place.

Clever arrangement except that as soon as something looks like it might flower it vanishes in k. Anne's pickup to be replaced by something that's just, well, green.

Madam enjoys looking after anything green and we have loads of space so it's win-win really.

We also take in any plants which have become too big for their owner's space, hence us having well over 100 trees of assorted shapes and sizes.

Our home is named "29 Palms" after a Robert Plant track - a name which is becoming increasingly inaccurate.

The return of the gardener (Madam's youngest) plus his assistants (2 grandkids) all now recovered from covid (+ve test, minimal symptoms) prompted :-

• Grass cutting - Had to fix the mower, ran for a bit then stopped - gummed up carb. The second time it stopped it was out of gas - grandson hadn't got that far in his education, he knows now. Mower is more than 10 years old, cheapo Agastec gradually falling apart, plastic cover is no more so the engine is now exposed.
  • Only one brush-cutter is functional, might have a look at the other tomorrow.
  • Pruning of two big mango trees - Of course both were home to those big, bitey ants!
  • Lots of action with Madam's new petrol powered mulcher converted mango prunings into a pile of compost.

May be an image of outdoors

I'm sure something else will break tomorrow.

They are here all weekend.

Korean barbecue pig tonight ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Encid said:

Nice mulcher @Crossy

What sized branches can it handle?

How much was it?

Where did you buy it?

It works pretty well, certainly compared with the "3hp" electric one we got first (which introduced Madam to mulching/composting). If you feed it sensibly and don't let the outlet get clogged it swallows pretty well anything. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it came with a handy oil filling thing, ear muffs, gloves and safety glasses as well as the usual engine tools. ???? 

• Like 1

Renewed all the mosquito nets around the house ,the cat

likes climbing up on them to catch Geckos and shredding

them, easy to do ,and lot cheaper than having shop do them..

regards Worgeordie  

• Like 2

Not a lot done today, I've run out of the little jobs, for now at least.

Took down a medium sized jack-fruit tree that wasn't happy, no fruit and the leaves were falling off. It's even less happy now having been converted into some useful sized logs and a pile of handy mulch.

Stll learning with the mulcher. It really doesn't like dry palm fronds, there's no nutrition left anyway so they can go in the "burn" pile and always put some woody stuff through last so that leafy bits don't clog the outlet for next time.

Blades look perfect at present.

Back to work tomorrow, for a well earned rest :whistling:

• Like 1