Received a lovely photo of my Toyota in the mail

ramrod711

55 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

My wife gets 2/3 tickets everytime she drives from Pattaya to Kamphaengpet. I keep telling her she is driving a truck not a car but she insists she has to drive at 120+ to stay alert! Me -I always drive at 90 if I go as tailgating at 120+  causes me to bend the hand grips but she says it's good exercise for my heart

We use to have the same problem in Southern Wyoming driving to Rock Springs. Good ol' Jimmy dropped the limits to 55 mph, which was a sure fire road sleeper speed. If you didn't drive 70-80 mph you'd be holding up the traffic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

...Cue the sanctimonious to$$ers  who are going to accuse you of dangerous driving, recklessly above the speed limit and being the reason for the high-death tolls on Thailands roads !!! :whistling:

Just ignore the ticket - everyone else does.

There is no repercussion come tax renewal time etc... the systems are not linked. 

Expand  

You tell 'em, Richard!! 

I’ll have to wait a little... I’m drying the pee off my shoes !!!  ????

21 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Speed limit is 90 kph on superhighway.

That's the general rule.

Few highways fulfilling certain conditions (e.g. no U-turns, concrete divider ...) have been lifted to 120.

I one has not seen an explicit 120 sign, the limit is 90 for divided highways.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

The new limit applies only to highways with 4 lanes or more (at least 2 lanes travelling in each direction, divided by barriers). In the case of roads with traffic signs that indicate minimum and maximum speeds, drivers must adhere to those limits when traffic conditions and other circumstances allow. The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns

Which contradicts your general statement.

Good luck finding highways that look like motorways.

A few!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

You can pay for these tickets online.  No need to go to the station.  

Tickets from highway police (which the OP seems to be about) can not be paid a communal police stations.

I didn't find out how I can pay online for highway tickets as a foreigner.

How does it work?

Could not even pay at the ATM. Would only work if you have an account at Krungthai Bank (through which the highway police tickets are handled).

Went to Krungthai Bank, cash with added 20 Baht fee.

55 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Tickets from highway police (which the OP seems to be about) can not be paid a communal police stations.

How does it work?

Could not even pay at the ATM. Would only work if you have an account at Krungthai Bank (through which the highway police tickets are handled).

I pay mine at the post office...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, digger70 said:

Speed limit on Thailand's highways increased to 120 kilometres an hour. It's official – the maximum speed limit on 4-lane highways in Thailand has been increased to 120 kilometres per hour, with the new regulation published in the Royal Gazette yesterday.Mar 11, 2564 BE

It’s official – the maximum speed limit on 4-lane highways in Thailand has been increased to 120 kilometres per hour, with the new regulation published in the Royal Gazette yesterday. Previously 90 kilometres per hour, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob says the increase in the maximum speed limit is aimed at improving the flow of traffic in line with conditions, while keeping road users safe.

The new limit applies only to highways with 4 lanes or more (at least 2 lanes travelling in each direction, divided by barriers). In the case of roads with traffic signs that indicate minimum and maximum speeds, drivers must adhere to those limits when traffic conditions and other circumstances allow. The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. Nation Thailand has summarised the speed limit regulations based on vehicle type and taking the new speed limit into account:

• Vehicles with fewer than 7 seats: maximum 120 kilometres per hour
  • Vehicles in the rightmost lane: minimum 100 kilometres per hour
  • Passenger vehicles of over 7 seats but fewer than 15 seats: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
  • Vehicles with more than 15 seats or weighing over 2,200 kilograms: maximum 90 kilometres per hour
  • Tricycles and tow trucks: maximum 65 kilometres per hour
  • Motorcycles: maximum 80 kilometres per hour
  • Motorcycles with engines of 400cc or more: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
  • School buses: maximum 80 kilometres per hour

Thank you for that Digger, I must say that I would not drive faster than 100 kmph between Huay Kaew road and Don Chan intersection. There are to many cars entering and exiting, but South of Don Chan it's like a race track for some.

5 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I am totally aware of it. My bet. I made the mistake by driving too fast on an empty road for a short moment and was caught. I'm aware that I don't respect all the rules, but then at least when I'm caught, I'm ok with paying the fine and not asking others wether I should pay or not.

II did not suggest that anyone not pay a fine, I get very few tickets, and pay them all. My wife said that the ticket was not right and called the authorities, who agreed with her. I was simply telling people that was the case. If people want to pay a ticket that was issued in error, they should do so, or donate the money to an orphanage.

• Thanks 1

It’s official – the maximum speed limit on 4-lane highways in Thailand has been increased to 120 kilometres per hour, with the new regulation published in the Royal Gazette yesterday. Previously 90 kilometres per hour, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob says the increase in the maximum speed limit is aimed at improving the flow of traffic in line with conditions, while keeping road users safe.

The new limit applies only to highways with 4 lanes or more (at least 2 lanes travelling in each direction, divided by barriers). In the case of roads with traffic signs that indicate minimum and maximum speeds, drivers must adhere to those limits when traffic conditions and other circumstances allow. The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. Nation Thailand has summarised the speed limit regulations based on vehicle type and taking the new speed limit into account:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

Yes thank you, most of us have already seen it. Now, what are you implying, that all highways across the country now have a speed limit of 120kph?

Because if you are, you're wrong and it says so in your own post. 'The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns'.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, digger70 said:
  • Passenger vehicles of over 7 seats but fewer than 15 seats: maximum 100 kilometres per hour

Hahahahaha SUV's are typically 7 seat vehicles if you include the rear most jump seats.

Police gunna make bank if they start handing out fines..... assuming people actually pay them !

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 6:40 AM, Thaijack2014 said:

Why wouldn't you pay? Maximum is 500 Baht. You drove too fast, you were caught, so just pay. Just because others don't, doesn't mean you have to be the same like them. Last year I was caught speeding and paid my fine. I try to respect the rules, also after making a mistake.

Except if the vast majority aren’t paying what are you actually achieving if you effectively volunteer? The idea is it’s supposed to be a deterrent to aid road safety,but that is completely abrogated when the vast majority aren’t. You’re simply wasting money which isn’t aiding road safety. 

On 4/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, KhunBENQ said:

How does it work?

Yes, Krungthai seems to be one of the only banks that allow direct payment.  Fortunately, I have a KT account.  Sorry for any misunderstanding

On 4/14/2022 at 5:07 AM, flare said:

It's absolutely 90kph on sections between Huay Kaew and 121- it even says it on the electronic billboard (just after the Middle Ring Road entrance as you head toward town) that displays your speed and flashes the camera graphic if you pass it over the limit.  There's also a 5kph buffer that won't activate the camera but gives a 'frowny face' graphic, which I saw the other say when I passed it at 92kph.????

If your speedo said 92 you'd have been doing less than 90, they're made that way. ????

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Except if the vast majority aren’t paying what are you actually achieving if you effectively volunteer? The idea is it’s supposed to be a deterrent to aid road safety,but that is completely abrogated when the vast majority aren’t. You’re simply wasting money which isn’t aiding road safety. 

I couldn't care less what is done with that money. I was speeding, got caught and had to pay. So I pay. Simple.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

On Highway 7 from Banchang up to Bangkok it's quite common to see fixed 120Kph and lighted 90Kph signs within a few hundred metres of each other. I've often wondered whether the 90Kph lights are just advisory,  or whether anyone's been fined for exceeding that speed. I mostly ignore them.

It is ridiculous to put the lighted 90 km/h signs that are often followed immediately by a fixed 120 km/h sign.

I am also not sure if they are just advisory or not, and nobody has been able to clarify it. In any case, so far I have only been fined on motorway 7 if I went over 120 km/h.

There are many new camera locations on that motorway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

If your speedo said 92 you'd have been doing less than 90, they're made that way. ????

I wasn't going off my speedometer- the electronic camera sign said 92kph, and instead of the camera graphic (which I've seen before...) I got the disapproving smiley (which was pretty funny).;)

Edited by flare
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, KhunBENQ said:

How does it work?

I could pay from my Bangkok Bank account but not from my SCB account.

1 hour ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I couldn't care less what is done with that money. I was speeding, got caught and had to pay. So I pay. Simple.

So you practice no discrimination on where money you really didn’t have to pay ends up?… a corrupt official’s pocket ,say ..?

Their are some emails from Nigeria that might interest you… ???? 

8 hours ago, nchuckle said:

So you practice no discrimination on where money you really didn’t have to pay ends up?… a corrupt official’s pocket ,say ..?

Their are some emails from Nigeria that might interest you… ???? 

Send those mails to the police then, they ended up with my 500 baht! LOL

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

However, it does not apply to all roads unless they meet the following, and/or those with actual posted lower speed limits.

"The new limit applies only to highways with 4 lanes or more (at least 2 lanes travelling in each direction, divided by barriers). In the case of roads with traffic signs that indicate minimum and maximum speeds, drivers must adhere to those limits when traffic conditions and other circumstances allow"

On 4/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, mrbojangles said:
On 4/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, digger70 said:
  • Vehicles with fewer than 7 seats: maximum 120 kilometres per hour

What if you actually have 7 seats like mine ????

I assumed tea money for the BiB, by deliberately making the laws vague and unintelligible.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I assumed tea money for the BiB, by deliberately making the laws vague and unintelligible.

I assume that the law as written would be clear and easy to understand for others as it was for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at the highway police station not far from Promenada. According to the officer, 90 km is the speed limit on Every highway in Thailand. That is obviously incorrect, but I went to the government bank and paid the 500 baht because it may really be 90kmh on the section where I was photographed, near Central Festival.

• Like 1