Air Conditioner Recommendations

racyrick

I am looking to replace a very old wall A/C in my bedroom at the house I rent.

I can't spend a lot of money, but I want a good unit. Need 12,000BTU.

What brand or brands to you recommend to buy here in Thailand? A lot of people said to stay away from the Thai brands or cheap brands and stick with name brands only.

Thanks for your help in advance.

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i reckon you can get a cheap second hand one from a AC fitter, i saw one on Facebook marketplace Samsung inverter for 8k

Why would someone be selling it if it is any good?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why would someone be selling it if it is any good?

Think he installed it in a rental property and was moving out, i just noticed it on marketplace, surprised it was inverter and only a few years old. Not for me but might suit someone

• Like 2

I recently replaced two older Carrier units.  One failed and so the installer had an LG inverter in stock 12,000 BTU.  It is OK however it is prone to picking up mold.  For whatever reason it picks up condensation and you will even get sprinkled occasionally from the fan blades spitting it out.  

The other I did some extensive research on and got a Daikin Smart 20,000 BTU inverter.  Very Good.  quiet and it replaced a 33,000 BTU model in the same living room.  

Electric charge went from about 5,500 baht a month to about 2,800 bath per month. 

In talking to several installers they all said the same thing.  Mitsubishi or Daikin with Daikin having a bit more accessibility to spare parts and to avoid the Mitsubishi Heavy Duty.  The comment was they were great units but parts were expensive. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 11:57 AM, Longwood50 said:

I recently replaced two older Carrier units.  One failed and so the installer had an LG inverter in stock 12,000 BTU.  It is OK however it is prone to picking up mold.  For whatever reason it picks up condensation and you will even get sprinkled occasionally from the fan blades spitting it out.  

The other I did some extensive research on and got a Daikin Smart 20,000 BTU inverter.  Very Good.  quiet and it replaced a 33,000 BTU model in the same living room.  

Electric charge went from about 5,500 baht a month to about 2,800 bath per month. 

In talking to several installers they all said the same thing.  Mitsubishi or Daikin with Daikin having a bit more accessibility to spare parts and to avoid the Mitsubishi Heavy Duty.  The comment was they were great units but parts were expensive. 

Thank you for your reply, but Daikin and Mitsubishi are a little to expensive for me.

The LG model I saw has a dual inverter with extra stuff and 12,000 BTU is about 15,000 baht installed.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1889202840-s8561926189.html

The company is in Wang Saphung, just south of Loei. Ordered on Friday, delivered on Saturday COD, installed on Sunday.

Two day delivery to Udon Thani via KK. Self-installed.

Cool.

Just like to add that the same unit is available from Global house for 11,995 baht plus 2000 baht installation.

I paid 9,178 including shipping so even if I had a third party installer come and do the needful, it was still cheaper.

As I mentioned in another thread on aircon recommendations, we had maybe 3 dozen Midea units on remote campsites in Myanmar and we went through a couple of monsoon seasons (and the really hot bits in between) plus two camp moves with no failures. Their instant hot water shower units are also very good.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
Chinese brand HAIER Inverter 18,000 BTU. Clean Cool function for cleaning dust in the evaporator coil.
Very cheap compared with the Japanese brands. A third of the price of our Japanese air cond. that gave us so much trouble (leaks, very expensive parts replacement, etc).
I will never buy from the mall or a large store again. Guy (works with his wife) recommended by a neighbor. I'm handy, I can tell that he has done a good job compared with the other guys over the years (serious mistakes).
Set at 28; it's cold and very quiet (Turbo/Quiet mode). 3 years warranty for the inside part, 10 for the compressor.
Bang Khen, Bangkok

Haier-1.png

Haier-2.png

Haier-3.png

I have an LG inverter and a Mitsubishi Heavy Duty...

LG- Cons: gets moldy after a few months (So clean it often). Everything else seems good. 

Mitsu- Cons it's on it own program... meaning I set a temperature and sometimes decides to stop running the fan in the compressor (Usually in the hottest times of the day). If the batteries in the remote are running low the AC start acting weird and not respond. The same thing when you get a power surge... It drives me nuts.

If I were to make an analogy on their performance... the LG feels like a direct injected engine (Runs great until the carbon build up accumulates), the Mistu feels ancient like a carbureted V8 at elevation (Never runs great and lacks any features) but probably outlast me.