Established Trees - Somewhere between Hua Hin and Bankgok or South of Hua Hin

33 RPM

i am in the Hua Hin area, and need some nice looking established trees specifically for shading an outdoor seating / eating area, Not Palms, have plenty already

i have been to a few local places that actually has established trees, even specimen trees including a quite big place on the bypass rd just south of Cha Am

anything established is either huge or so devoid of canopy, or both that they are more than ugly

Any suggestions as to where i might be able to find a decent range of trees in the areas mentioned
Thanks.

Possibly even something like this

DSC02508.JPG

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry i don't know.

But I do know that when planting mature trees you dig a square hole not a round hole.

Here is one example https://www.intelligentliving.co/planting-trees-in-square-holes/

Your link is not for mature trees but saplings. While it could be relevant, virtually all mature trees are transported with round root balls and planted in round holes. Of course these machines are probably not in Thailand but the principal is the same 

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes I know that, but I believe the theory still has merit. Here they come with a root ball on a truck with a HIAB or equiv.

It certainly could be worth thinking about or study, Singapore has used square mature tree transfer, it’s not clear that it is better than round root ball transplantation, it certainly makes orientation easier. The round root machines must work OK as if they killed the trees they would be out of business very quickly.

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

it’s not clear that it is better than round root ball transplantation

Round hole roots spread and touch the edge then taking the path of least resistance follow it around creating a ball. Square hole roots find their way into the corners and force they way out creating a larger root area.  

36 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Round hole roots spread and touch the edge then taking the path of least resistance follow it around creating a ball. Square hole roots find their way into the corners and force they way out creating a larger root area.  

I read the linked post, and while that is possibly true in some cases and then for particular soil conditions and for saplings, they haven’t made a case for mature trees or that there is any study on the subject.

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I read the linked post, and while that is possibly true in some cases and then for particular soil conditions and for saplings, they haven’t made a case for mature trees or that there is any study on the subject.

So you can dig a round hole for your next tree. I'll did a square one.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try showing them pictures of what they want? 

In the meantime, perhaps get a line fast growing trees ((something like (I think) Thakop/Tha Kobe)) in the event you don't find anything. 

If you have some now that you like, I think it's pretty cheap to have them moved. I would get rid of any palms unless you're married. 

Thanks, ive "asked  " at numerous places including plant nurseries that i now know quite well and come up with a blank, or a suggestion of somewhere close that ive already been

tried looking for the thakop / ta kobe tree with no joy.