Purpose in life

TLDR (or watch) -what's he got to say for himself?

I prefer the uplifting cynicism of Howard Stern. 

Think of how many great comedians cam out of 2nd rate suburb Long Island: Lenny Bruce, Sam Kineson, Andrew Dice Clay, Seinfeld, Howard.

• Like 1

He did say the N-word a lot, even if "out of context."

maybe that is being a loser.   

rich, sure.   has fans, sure.   

is he properly educated?  I'm not sure.

a good father?  not sure.

you can call him a god, I don't care.....I don't know the guy, but some of his podcasts are decent.  

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Think of how many great comedians cam out of 2nd rate suburb Long Island: Lenny Bruce, Sam Kineson, Andrew Dice Clay, Seinfeld, Howard.

Watch it. Great speech. I can see why he is popular. He talks real stuff. Not hype stuff like Anthony Robbins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

you can call him a god, I don't care.....I don't know the guy, but some of his podcasts are decent.  

He is clearly a flawed guy. Thats why I like him. Many faults yet battled thru it.

Not pompous.

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Stern is very rude. Fires questioms every 5 secs. Cuts people off. Up himself. Offers nothing to listeners. Looks like an old woman.

Cant understand why he rates.

Good interviewers let people speak and only jump in when they have finished.

I'm sort of post-hero/role model these days. Even reliable fist-pumper Bruce doesn't ring the old bell any more.

In New York, you can say the N word, even to black people, pretty freely -assuming you've read the room right. It would be more of a working class thing. "Wigguh, Please" is a popular indignation response across all color lines there.

You're more thinking of old Howard. He got therapy and a divorce. He's mellower now.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

I'm sort of post-hero/role model these days. Even reliable fist-pumper Bruce doesn't ring the old bell any more.

In New York, you can say the N word, even to black people, pretty freely -assuming you've read the room right. It would be more of a working class thing. "Wigguh, Please" is a popular indignation response across all color lines there.

Not really about him. More the advice he gives.

(Joe is good mates with Mike Tyson. People who say he's racist as just morons with an agenda)

I mostly know of him for his vax-scepticism. So I am biased against him from the get-go.

The home we rent out is deep in the Bible Belt. Old Baptists are dropping like flies from this nonsense (not that I mind). They're still losing a few every day (more would be better).

But he's now at the cultural level of Lizzo, so I will likewise have what will surely be a quick peek in. Slate made some pretty amusing fun of him, if you're interested.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I mostly know of him for his vax-scepticism. So I am biased against him from the get-go.

The home we rent out is deep in the Bible Belt. Old Baptists are dropping like flies from this nonsense (not that I mind). They're still losing a few every day (more would be better).

But he's now at the cultural level of Lizzo, so I will likewise have what will surely be a quick peek in. Slate made some pretty amusing fun of him, if you're interested.

Slate? Dont know him.

Rogan says lots of crazy stuff. So what. He also says stuff that is spot on.

Elon Musk as smart as he is says dumb stuff in tweets.

If you only listen to pc people who never say radical stuff all you get is rather bland boring run of the mill info.

Many people don't benefit from the Just Do It-message. They have a lot of shame or bad habits. They don't Just Do It and then they feel worse.

I am the underachieving slacker that Joe Rogan would like to shake hard by the shoulders. I'm more like, Just do something, or just do 3 out of 5 things on the list. You don't need to build up a dramatic storyline where you are becoming a martial arts champion or climbing terrifying cliffs to feel justified in your life. 

If you like yourself and you broadly like what you're doing, you're good. 

A lot of today's self-help people are channeling the old Roman Stoics (forge on through adversity, don't be a crybaby). This book summarized them well:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Like-Roman-Emperor/dp/1250196620/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1650288050&sr=8-1

You could just read the comments and the wiki to get the drift -but would you be living life to the fullest?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Many people don't benefit from the Just Do It-message. They have a lot of shame or bad habits. They don't Just Do It and then they feel worse.

I am the underachieving slacker that Joe Rogan would like to shake hard by the shoulders. I'm more like, Just do something, or just do 3 out of 5 things on the list. You don't need to build up a dramatic storyline where you are becoming a martial arts champion or climbing terrifying cliffs to feel justified in your life. 

If you like yourself and you broadly like what you're doing, you're good. 

A lot of today's self-help people are channeling the old Roman Stoics (forge on through adversity, don't be a crybaby). This book summarized them well:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Like-Roman-Emperor/dp/1250196620/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1650288050&sr=8-1

You could just read the comments and the wiki to get the drift -but would you be living life to the fullest?

I think the just do something is right. Do 1 thing then another thing comes along. Yes dont need to be too difficult either. Just move, do. Move and do.

That chick in video is good too.

Before I knew a thing about Joe Rogan, I read this pretty sympathetic (but ultimately a take down) article about him (warning: long):

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/08/my-joe-rogan-experience/594802/

tldr: Joe Rogan is the same old Lift and Get The Hottie-snake oil, and his emphasis on self-improvement follows that familiar template. He's light on psychological insight and that's good (keeps it real) and bad (tends towards shallow thinking).

My viewing of that clip confirms all of that. He's a good guy, but he would never be my guy.

His Mike Tyson bona fides are undeniable tho. As a child, I saw Muhammed Ali screw with a fan's head who called him Champ on the street: "Tramp?" said Ali, "You callin' me a Tramp?".

• Like 1

A British comedy, Red Dwarf has two main characters. One the ultimate striver, the other a corresponding slacker. Rogan speaks well to the strivers, those who relax only in order to work again.

Most of us though are slackers, we work in order to rest again. 90% plus of people could never write the book, climb that rock or make that magazine cover. why not take it easy? Take responsibility for your own life sure. Be a good person or at least do no harm, of course. But enjoy the sofa and accept coffee time is often the highlight of the day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grecian said:

A British comedy, Red Dwarf has two main characters. One the ultimate striver, the other a corresponding slacker. Rogan speaks well to the strivers, those who relax only in order to work again.

Most of us though are slackers, we work in order to rest again. 90% plus of people could never write the book, climb that rock or make that magazine cover. why not take it easy? Take responsibility for your own life sure. Be a good person or at least do no harm, of course. But enjoy the sofa and accept coffee time is often the highlight of the day.

Yet thats boring.

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Also a Nikola Tesla fan boy, more nonsense about that failure on the internet than anyone!

12 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Did somebody mention Red Dwarf

• Like 1

Some, or maybe even many of Joe Rogan's videos are pretty good. He listens and he knows when to ask which questions.

And then there are some people who take his videos and other famous peoples' videos and add lots of pictures and text and then they try to sell those videos from other people as their own creations. Sad.

I like both, Joe Rogan and Showers Stern, but I do not need to agree with them on everything. Still decent entertainment and also som good podcasts/radio/Utube.

Joe Rogan is not stupid, but he is impulsive and speaks his mind, sometimes he comes out a bit wrong, but he is quick to be sorry when he understand he did go over the line.

I guess that's why he have a quite broad audience from all over the world.

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Personally, wouldn't call any of them great comedians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

It has nothing to do with Rogan.  When you listen to something like this, you should only be focused on yourself.  Take away what you think might help you be a better person, ignore the rest.

Rogan was probably a good athlete.  I don't think he's funny at all as a stand-up.  He is a good presenter and conversationalist.  Maybe he's made it simply because he looks and sounds right.  Maybe he had the guts to try.

He is obviously successful in multiple areas.  Made himself do things that are hard.  Could mostly be natural talent, just his personality.  Or he might have a work ethic or a sense of discipline that helped.

Maybe he has something of value to say. ????‍♂️

It's only 11 minutes.

The needle has moved and everything is more polarized now. When I was young, you could have actual nazi's on TV. Now all you can have is Alex Jones. Good thing or bad? I def don't miss the nazi's.

I hope Alex Jones get sued into oblivion. Joe was way too soft on him. He's playing to an aggrieved Red Pill, faux-independent demo and is as bound up by that as a liberal host on MSNBC. 

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

tldr: Joe Rogan is the same old Lift and Get The Hottie-snake oil, and his emphasis on self-improvement follows that familiar template. He's light on psychological insight and that's good (keeps it real) and bad (tends towards shallow thinking).

Having watched many of his podcasts, I can assure you this is incorrect.