water purification options

kekalot

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Then show me how the cost of RO or activated carbon compares with a 500 baht kettle from Lazada,

A kettle does not remove the dirt and heavy metals or provide the taste that RO gives - there is a reason people buy water - and most of the water they buy is RO treated.  I was boiling water in India 50 years ago and then filtering - but times have changed - and I am very glad they have.  As for the costs - that 500 baht in not the final cost - fire/time/cleaning/storage all have to be factored in as well as the taste (which you may like but I found less than good by itself or as base for anything else - boiled water is not my cup of tea).  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The point is that you did say 

Filtration, as has been pointed out, in fact does remove virtually every contaminant. The fact that the Filtration gets more and more expensive as you get les and less stuff in the water doesn’t make it less Filtration. RO is filtration multi stage is still Filtration.

if you intended Filtration to be limited you should have said so, but you didn’t 

It is absolute rubbish to state:

"Filtration, as has been pointed out, in fact does remove virtually every contaminant."

It depends on what kind of filter it is. Activated carbon will remove organics, it does diddly squat in terms of removing soluble ions such as fluoride. RO does a good job on most soluble ions, organics foul it up pretty quickly. If one really wants to get rid of all ionic species, ion exchange columns are the ticket.

For your statement to be true, you would need a grand combination of basic filter, activated carbon, reverse osmosis and a final polish of ion exchange to get rid of everything, but you didn't say that either.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A kettle does not remove the dirt and heavy metals or provide the taste that RO gives - there is a reason people buy water - and most of the water they buy is RO treated.  I was boiling water in India 50 years ago and then filtering - but times have changed - and I am very glad they have.  As for the costs - that 500 baht in not the final cost - fire/time/cleaning/storage all have to be factored in as well as the taste (which you may like but I found less than good by itself or as base for anything else - boiled water is not my cup of tea).  

I would agree if we are talking about bore water, which has not been treated to the health standards applied by water authorities in almost every country.

That was India, this is now.

BTW, when you buy RO treated water, you are not buying it for its taste, but for the absence of taste.

Water treatment usually consists of sand bed filtration to remove solids, followed by flocculation with either aluminium chloride or ferric chloride, and lime or magnesium oxide. That process knocks out virtually all heavy metals present. Polyelectrolyte is added to polish the floc, the final stage of treatment is the addition of chlorine and chloramines to kill off any bacteria or viruses that have survived the journey. That's what comes out of a domestic tap.

I don't like the taste of chlorine, which is why I boil tap water. Perhaps your palate is more refined than mine, but I can't pick the difference between boiled water here, and RO water.

The US derives nearly all its water for cities from groundwater and recycling. It's no accident giardia is rife there, 1 million cases a year. Personally, I found the taste of US water disgusting, but that may have been a psychological inhibition stemming from the knowledge I was tasting someone else's recycled pee and poo.

Yes, I do pay for the electricity to boil the water. That's picking nits.

Edited by Lacessit

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

For your statement to be true, you would need a grand combination of basic filter, activated carbon, reverse osmosis and a final polish of ion exchange to get rid of everything, but you didn't say that either.

It is still filtration and yes I did say it’s filtration, you are the one trying to put a limit on filtration. You did not limit it therefore the above qualifies as filtration and as I said that will eliminate a lot of nasty stuff.

to be clear you are missing the word filter so

chunchy bits filter 

activated carbon filter

reverse osmosis filter

ion exchange filter

= multistage filter QED

though there could be a few more .

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

It is still filtration and yes I did say it’s filtration, you are the one trying to put a limit on filtration. You did not limit it therefore the above qualifies as filtration and as I said that will eliminate a lot of nasty stuff.

to be clear you are missing the word filter so

chunchy bits filter 

activated carbon filter

reverse osmosis filter

ion exchange filter

= multistage filter QED

Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide a capital cost of this combination, as well as the ongoing maintenance cost.

Also read my post on water treatment processes for the production of drinking water.

Are you getting commissions to promote all these unnecessary treatments?

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

BTW, when you buy RO treated water, you are not buying it for its taste, but for the absence of taste.

Agree - so coffee tastes like it should for me.  But not having a bad taste is as important as having no taste.  Boiled water always seemed to have a bad taste for me.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree - so coffee tastes like it should for me.  But not having a bad taste is as important as having no taste.  Boiled water always seemed to have a bad taste for me.

As I said before, perhaps your palate is more refined than mine.

As I like a ploughman's sandwich of sharp cheese, rosemary ham and hot English mustard, washed down with a beer, it's more than likely.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As I said before, perhaps your palate is more refined than mine.

As I like a ploughman's sandwich of sharp cheese, rosemary ham and hot English mustard, washed down with a beer, it's more than likely.

Don't believe palate is refined but Cheddar is strong for me, Itohham ham sandwich good, no mustard of any kind and not enjoyed the beer since Bending when living in FFM in the late 60's.  Getting old.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Don't believe palate is refined but Cheddar is strong for me, Itohham ham sandwich good, no mustard of any kind and not enjoyed the beer since Bending when living in FFM in the late 60's.  Getting old.

Welcome to my world. Gave up beer recently going on to a low carb diet, stuff is packed with carbs. Oddly enough, whisky is OK.

Sorry, getting off topic.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide a capital cost of this combination, as well as the ongoing maintenance cost.

Also read my post on water treatment processes for the production of drinking water.

Are you getting commissions to promote all these unnecessary treatments?

Did you actually read this thread? Do look at the top post on page 2. It is currently at the top of this page.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I built my own.  Those 10inch three stage jobs are no good because they use flimsy 6mm connectors.

I sourced and bought on shopee 3 10 inch filter containser that have silicone orings and pet outer housings.  They also have 1/2 inch brass screw connections that will take standard half inch pvc water pipe fittings.

I have the 3 stages set up as follows:

1. Solid ceramic.  About 110 baht.  Filters out all PM and also any cysts like cryptosporidium (spelling), giardia and the like.

2. Block Carbon. About 60 baht.

3. GAC Activated carbon. About 80 baht.

Solid ceramic cartridge has indefinite life span as can be scrubbed clean is scotch pad.  Block Carbon and GAC filters good for about 6-8 months.  Just two people.

I filter the town water supply and it is perfectly palatable when done.

I also bought a cheap chlorine detection kit to initially test filtered water and all is ok.

I also ditched the white plastic 20l bottles and bough several of the 18l blue PET ones.

Saving a fortune but also the biggest thing is not having to lug the white plastic bottles.

I am currently renovating out kitchen.  Once the new bench goes in I will mount the filter under the bench and then fill directly from a tap (and ditch the PET bottles also).

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I built my own.  Those 10inch three stage jobs are no good because they use flimsy 6mm connectors.

if it's not too much to ask I'd love to see it and get some links (if you have them)

I was thinking of doing the same thing and maybe put that spinner thing just in front, especially after I noticed that some of those filter kits seemed to have their own pump/tank and needed to be plugged in (there's no plug anywhere near my sink)

I don't worry about how jank it looks, i just want it to work and not cost me 1500 baht per 2 months for single filters.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:39 PM, lopburi3 said:

Multi stage RO filter systems are very cheap and work very well - you have several gallons in storage tank - it may not look the best but it does the job.  First filter removes dirt and can be changed as needed (cheap) - can be had for about 3k-4k on Lazada or Shopee (although you can spend many times that for same item from some sellers so be careful).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/colandas-ro-5-50-gpd-00001-water-filter-1-i2319029740-s13942552018.html?search=1&freeshipping=1

image.jpeg.d7f14c512792f70f6530181cdbf942eb.jpeg

Thank you.  I have just ordered such a system.