Levi’s to open 100 stores in Thailand before summer

webfact

I brought a suitcase full of new and thrift store finds.   The price of Levi's in Thailand was higher than here in the US.   The quality or material have for sure changed.   I have worn Levi's for over 55 years.   I buy 2 at a time.  Shrink to fit 501s only.   The last batch didn't shrink for at least 15 laundry cycles. And they were to big in the waist which was a good thing with covid and new wife's cooking.  But I had to cut off 2.5" on the legs and learned how to do the magic hem on YouTube from some Asian guy.  I wear 34x36 which normally means they shrink to 33x34.  I thought to hot in Thailand unless on a bus ride or or plane and did have a worker at a  bus station ogling and commenting on  a newish pair I had on.  I watched my luggage more carefully as I waited for the bus to get full.  Current price here is about 40-44$. I priced some in Thailand and I seem to recall 1600-1800 baht in 2018. And they were like 35$ then

Edited by Elkski

8 hours ago, Deli said:

The Levi's made in Thailand aren't expensive and stores stock up to 40" waist but mainly only inseam 36".  However... they are made of local Denim and you cannot compare the quality with the product you buy in the Western world. They are ok and as imported brands ( like G-Star or Evisu ) have a hilarious price tag, it's not a bad choice.

Agreed. I have several pairs of Levi's purchased at Terminal 21 Pattaya and they are a quality above the other locally manufactured denim such as Wrangler, Lee, MC etc. imo.

I am not paying silly money for Boss or Calvin Klein's here.

I think they were about 1,000thb per pair but had a buy one get one sale on when last I was there. 

Lighter denim and suitable for the climate here. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Local Thai markets have these jeans for 200 b.  Good luck to Levi probably just another retailer with a bunch of empty stores.

Makes you wonder, whether these companies do their research right. "Oh, yes, Thailand, not many outlets yet, 70 million prospective customers..." - Sounds good, but besides looking at a world map and where the 'white spots' are, do they actually do research about people's buying power or spending habits, not to mention the cheap competition?

Perhaps 5 stores in the right locations in Thailand might work out for them, but 100? Or are they planning on a franchise model, having people pay to open their Levi's store next to another Levi's, similar to 7-Eleven?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Local Thai markets have these jeans for 200 b.  Good luck to Levi probably just another retailer with a bunch of empty stores.

Made the mistake of buying a fake pair of Levis at Pratunam some years ago. Complete waste of money and nothing like a genuine pair.

Edited by mstevens

17 hours ago, ronster said:

Have bought jeans about 3 times from Levi shop and few t-shirts. The jeans were not far off uk prices but the waist sizes were 2-3 sizes out every time and the material was very thin and soft but not in a high quality way.

Their stuff seems ok for women shopping there , but I now just get all my clothes brought out from uk as sizes and quality here are rarely any good for decent clothes.

from an original levi shop? really?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, RichardColeman said:

One thing I like about it here is the jeans. I'm only 5ft 6 and all the jeans I see seem catered for my height due to Asians on the whole being smaller. 

That said, could just be the wife buying me ladies jeans.

When you put em on, do you have a camel toe? If so, then they are indeed ladies jeans. ????

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:44 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Makes you wonder, whether these companies do their research right.

Does it? Really? Just you doing the "wondering"?

You do realize that they have twenty-five (25) years worth of sales and marketing data based on their relationship with DKSH?

I might be off here but I'd say they know a bit more about the market than you.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Does it? Really? Just you doing the "wondering"?

You do realize that they have twenty-five (25) years worth of sales and marketing data based on their relationship with DKSH?

I might be off here but I'd say they know a bit more about the market than you.

You seem to be the expert. So, do you think, 100 outlets in Thailand are a good idea? How about 500?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 5:58 AM, law ling said:

1. Will they sell anything other than a 28 inch waist? - I sure they won't have my size.

I think you can't be really sure until you go to a shop and check, maybe on your way to a food court. Be sure to ask about ordering if your size isn't in stock. Another point is that alterations are amazingly cheap in Thailand. The sewing lady near the market will fix you right up. 

2. Isn't denim really just too hot and heavy for around here?

No. Levis come in various weights, and the company really, really did take the Thai climate into consideration. Summers in many locations in the USA can be as hot and humid as in Thailand, BTW.

But a lot of tourists from more northern climes buy Levis while vacationing in Thailand, including SHOCK! Chinese and Russians. Noticed Russians in the T21 shop pre-COVID, in fact. Sorry if this revelation causes widespread knickers-soiling here on the forum.

3. I think most Thais will prefer cheaper brands and "copies".

The company never even conceived of that, of course. Can our Economists all agree now Levis are doomed to disappear from the Thai market soon after the 100 stores are opened and always empty? Another expensive disaster looming!

Copy jeans: tried 'em, often wore them when I first moved to Thailand. How wonderful: Levis for B200! No more. Zippers, pockets, buttonholes soon wear out, stiff, seams irregular, age poorly, never as comfortable as the real thing. I've still got an old pair or two rotting in the closet, but I just never reach for them in preference to my authentic Levis or Wranglers.

The best of the Thai brands like Mc Jeans aren't bad but don't seem to fit quite as well and, if not on sale, aren't that much less than Levis. 

Edited by BigStar

On 4/21/2022 at 4:09 AM, Tim207 said:

my recollection is a " levi's going out of buisness sale" sign at both terminal 21 and at robinsons in chantaburri as recent as a few months ago. I suppose these stores could just be resellers but i thought they were brand owned.

Bottom line, for many reasons, this company lost it's way in terms of developing and maintaining branding image and competitiveness, and goals and objectives using strong branding to gain big revenues and high margins many years ago. Hope they've got some very clever, innovative new people in the picture and also most of their 'old guard' gone because probably too hard to break away from their old operational/attitudional actions and processes.

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You seem to be the expert. So, do you think, 100 outlets in Thailand are a good idea? How about 500?

The figure of '500', needs to be tested well against total revenues expected / possible, and whether high margins are achieveable, and against stretch/achieveable market share goals. High revenues means nothing if margins are very poor. 

Also, can they come up with clever marketing to keep ahead of their clever competitors and do they have the tools and clever staff to watch/analsyse their competitots and identify up and coming clever competitors?

On 4/20/2022 at 4:53 PM, hotchilli said:

Seems strange that they would open up "Brand shops" at brand prices when so many cheaper copies of jeans  are available at every market stall.

As they don't seem to recognize the real marketplace. 

Bit of a waste spinning their wheels - image and brand name.