If Thailand is getting tougher for expats, how about Vietnam?

webfact

On 4/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jingthing said:

No retirement visa and likely never will be. 

True, but what makes you think Thailand will leave its retirement visa / extension, in its current form, forever?  

They could change the requirement from 800k to 1.5 million, or, stop issuing them altogether, at any time, and probably will.  Such change/s would see many unable to continue residing in Thailand. 

On 4/22/2022 at 1:29 AM, brianthainess said:

one year extension costs about $60 1,900 baht + 3000 baht for multi re-entry.

The true cost of the visa / extension here is the 800k one has to have in a Thai bank that pays no interest.  Add that to your 1900 + 3000 baht and you have an expensive visa, which also has the risk of having 800k baht in the banking system of a 3rd World Country. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 4:38 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Didnt Vietnam open up a few years ago and tried to encourage retired ex-pats to relocate to Vietnam ?

Seems like Vietnam were expecting millionaires to sail their yachts from Phuket to Danang about build million dollar houses and the only people to relocate were broke ex-pats who couldnt afford to live in Thailand 

Every country in S-E Asia has been trying to attract the high rollers for many years without a lot of success. 

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

True, but what makes you think Thailand will leave its retirement visa / extension, in its current form, forever?  

They could change the requirement from 800k to 1.5 million, or, stop issuing them altogether, at any time, and probably will.  Such change/s would see many unable to continue residing in Thailand. 

I agree. Which is why I like to have backup options. Vietnam is NOT one of them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Agree 100%...   some topics first reply are complaints... if people are so miserable move on

until you find happiness...   I reckon it may be a long journey... 

Many have invested financially, and emotionally, in Thailand, probably before they even had a look at other countries.  For many, their only option is to remain in Thailand now, even though they may be unhappy here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree. Which is why I like to have backup options. Vietnam is NOT one of them.

Sure.  For me, Vietnam is my Plan B.  Temporary Resident Cards can be "bought" there, in the same way I pay an agent here, and before anyone starts, yes, I have 800k, but will not move it into Thailand where it earns nothing, so I can make the claim my extension only costs 1900 baht.  ????

That money is earning around 6%, which more than covers the cost of the agent, and is in the safety of my home country. It's not so much for the 6%, more for the safety of not having in the banking system of a 3rd World Country. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:22 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

There's too many foreigners in my home Country

How do they call you in your home "country"?
Farang, gringo, white face??

When I went back to my home country for 2 years, just before moving to Thailand, I did not recognise my own place.
People from everywhere and languages spoken I didn't understand.
Goodbye and astala vista.

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Sure.  For me, Vietnam is my Plan B.  Temporary Resident Cards can be "bought" there, in the same way I pay an agent here, and before anyone starts, yes, I have 800k, but will not move it into Thailand where it earns nothing, so I can make the claim my extension only costs 1900 baht.  ????

That money is earning around 6%, which more than covers the cost of the agent, and is in the safety of my home country. It's not so much for the 6%, more for the safety of not having in the banking system of a 3rd World Country. 

How much for that dodgy card?

If expensive I'd say very risky as VN has a record of massive crackdowns on large categories of expats.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The true cost of the visa / extension here is the 800k one has to have in a Thai bank that pays no interest.  Add that to your 1900 + 3000 baht and you have an expensive visa, which also has the risk of having 800k baht in the banking system of a 3rd World Country. 

I get more interest from thai bank account 0.9% than i would in the UK. 1900 baht is a cheap visa in my opinion. Only 1000 baht a visit if you want to leave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

When I went back to my home country for 2 years, just before moving to Thailand, I did not recognise my own place.

That's one of the few things that I love about the areas that I lived in the USA.

Can't get a decent bowl of Pho in Pattaya but in the US pho for days.

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I sincerely hope I don't have to leave Thailand in my lifetime.

Vietnam would not be my choice either, Phillipines would be and always has been my plan 'B'. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I guess his from England and if you say anything but the correct thing you can be prosecuted.

I don't think you can put what UK people call the many immigrants types in UK even on here. 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:45 AM, Flink said:

Yes, but that's only a recent change. Up until 2019 you had to notify immigration when you'd been away from your place of residence for 24 hours (TM30) and all the hassle that entailed. Lived in China for 7 years and never had to do that. Never had to report to immigration every 90 days. Only time I ever saw the immigration guys (when not renewing my visa/FEC or travelling in/out of the country) was when one arrived at my front door because the estate warden of the community where I lived thought I was an illegal alien.

That's for sure.
You don't need to notify the Chineses. They know every single step you do.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I sincerely hope I don't have to leave Thailand in my lifetime.

Vietnam would not be my choice either, Phillipines would be and always has been my plan 'B'. 

Yes.

I would prefer to stay but may be pushed out sooner or later.

In VN I have only been to Hanoi and Halong Bay and while a great trip I wasn't feeling it as a place to live.

But I realize there are other areas that I might like better but probably not.

My current plan B list includes the Phillipines and also Mexico, Colombia  and Panama.

I want to check out Siem Reap.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess his from England and if you say anything but the correct thing you can be prosecuted.

I don't think you can put what UK people call the many immigrants types in UK even on here. 

I'm not a UK citizen but lived in Scotland for 10 years.
Very good memories and financially brilliant.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, teelac777 said:

Every country in S-E Asia has been trying to attract the high rollers for many years without a lot of success. 

Probably but what I don't get is what's this thread all about Thailand getting tough on expats. 

If Thailand are tough it has only be brought about because of corrupt people and scumbags staying here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

I would prefer to stay but may be pushed out sooner or later.

In VN I have only been to Hanoi and Halong Bay and while a great trip I wasn't feeling it as a place to live.

But I realize there are other areas that I might like better but probably not.

My current plan B list includes the Phillipines and also Mexico, Colombia  and Panama.

I want to check out Siem Reap.

Well all the best my bucket list is full now I would say I have no desire to go elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I get more interest from thai bank account 0.9% than i would in the UK. 1900 baht is a cheap visa in my opinion. Only 1000 baht a visit if you want to leave.

Which bank and what kind of account?

I have a friend of many years that moved to Da Nang roughly 5 years ago. If you are not married to a national, have a work permit or business in Vietnam it is very difficult to reside there. Currently the only option is a monthly visa which costs $125US each and every month. He is currently in Cambodia to see if that would suit him as an expat. I will still keep it as a holiday destination but happy in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely rubbish write up, I stayed in Vietnam for a couple of months before covid, most places where over run by Chinese and Russians especially Na Trang  and Da Nang, and visas are a nightmare, the Thailand Expat 90 day report moaners have seen nothing yet.

Also forget all your home comforts expat shops and bars and the language barrier is more difficult.

The smoking culture was a big turn off for myself.

Glad I did not make the move muk muk 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

We don't know the future.

For sure but I don't let it worry me or even think about it until threads like this and the thought will soon be gone. 

July my marriage extension is due must remember to take in the bottle black label Johny Walker. ????

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Absolutely rubbish write up, I stayed in Vietnam for a couple of months before covid, most places where over run by Chinese and Russians especially Na Trang  and Da Nang, and visas are a nightmare, the Thailand Expat 90 day report moaners have seen nothing yet.

Also forget all your home comforts expat shops and bars and the language barrier is more difficult.

I got 2 weeks on arrival every time I went, no VISA required.

Didn't see any Russians in 7 visits.

Never had a problems ordering food or beer, and the ladies I encountered all spoke English.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If Thailand are tough it has only be brought about because of corrupt people and scumbags staying here. 

Disagree.

Loads of Chinese criminals doing all sorts of naughty stuff over here, and the Thai government loves them.

Edited by BritManToo

On 4/22/2022 at 5:14 AM, Fairynuff said:

Vietnam is a country I love to visit, but a couple of weeks and I’m ready to leave. I know I could never live there. Nha Trang, pre Covid was an absolute nightmare with 3 major tourist groups, Chinese, Russian and Korean. The noise  levels were off the scale and the general standard of behaviour was appalling. It didn’t stop me going because I have a favourite hotel and some good food.

Thailand has been getting more difficult as long as I’ve visiting and mow living, but for me it’s still home for the foreseeable future.

How many years since you were there F.?

I think it is 8 years for me and I don't remember any of that, obviously I was there before the foreigner invasion. 

14 minutes ago, rott said:

How many years since you were there F.?

I think it is 8 years for me and I don't remember any of that, obviously I was there before the foreigner invasion. 

My last visit was a couple of months before Covid hit but it’s been like that a good few years now 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jiggo said:

The smoking culture was a big turn off for myself.

Glad I did not make the move muk muk 

Recently left Da Nang after 2 years, lived in 5 different lodgings in 2 Districts/3 or 4 Wards.

Never heard anyone speaking Russian, never noticed a strong Chinese presence.

I don't recall ever being aware of someone being specifically Chinese.

(Strong Korean presence in some of Son Tra District - at least pre-Covid - so what?

Only a positive effect - provided some very good convenience store markets).

Tourist Visas for up to 1 year available pre-Covid - no trouble at all to obtain.

Language barrier solved by Translate app, the same as everywhere else in the world.

And if someone wanted to really have it a lot like an English speaking home, simply live in "Crackertown" aka My An Ward.

I have detested tobacco smoke for my adult life, had no problem there.

Lodgings all No Smoking.

Edited by JimmyJ