If Thailand is getting tougher for expats, how about Vietnam?

webfact

I lived in Vietnam for a year once 1970 to 1971 living the high life in Da Nang. It was a s--- hole then and probably hasn't changed much since then. Did not need a visa or any of that stuff. I always love it when they do these things the ever changing immigration rules. The only change of a recent nature has been for the monthly income method I believe all the guys who were cheating have left.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No retirement visa and likely never will be.

@Jingthing, I was also under the impression that was true as of a year or so ago. I thought I read that the immigration law had changed so that only expats married to a national could get one year visas.

So, either you and I are wrong, or this is a pointless thread at least for most on this forum. Certainly of no import to me personally.

I did visit VN with a viet national for three weeks in 2012, most of that time in Dalat. It was everything the OP said it is, and the university there is vibrant. I had an invitation to teach engineering as well. I was somewhat put off by the strong presence of the catholic church but that's just me; I'm a religiphobe.

When I left USA in late 2016 shortly after the darkness fell over my homeland I had obtained a one year visa, still in my passport, for $200 through their consulate.

Long story short I landed in Bangkok for a week here before a flight to Saigon.

I never made that flight and find myself years later still entranced by a Thai woman and solidly embedded in the pineapple fields outside Huahin.

My only plans to leave are to sell my house in America in a couple of years.

So unless you can find or have a Vietnamese national to marry, a short visit is all you'll get.

• Like 1

I think there may be options for needed skills working people and perhaps legitimate businesses although there may still be pandemic restrictions. But I don't really know the current details except that there is still no retirement visa and unlike another poster I don't believe there ever will be..

Most nations in the world don't have retirement visas. I consider VN more of a prideful "serious" country culturally so to me this makes sense. They won't be begging for such people like the Philippines. Thailand is more feline like we're not really inviting you but if you insist and like hoop jumping, we won't stop you.

As far as more insecure dodgy options involving constant visa runs or virtual internal ones, fake businesses, etc  I am also not up on current realistic options if any.

Obviously for people that love VN they should do their own research.

I will note that the youtube channel Vagabond Awake mainly about budget expat retirement which was previously very high on VN has pronounced VN as forget about it for now.

Ironically and surprisingly they have elevated Bangkok of all places to the top of their list!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Vietnam many times and it is a pleasant holiday destination .As for Da Lat as a retirement destination forget it you would die of boredom . Retirees should check out the medical facilities nowhere near as good as Thailand.Health cover is three times as series cases have to be airlifted out .

Thailand has its problems for sure but i stay for one year for 1900 baht and visit immigration on average two times per year .No  country in Asia could beat that .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gt162 said:

Vietnam has very limited Visa options. Not good to single expats. More for short-term tourists.

They want to avoid all the problems Thailand gets. 

The soldiers running Thailand are the main cause of these problems.

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

If a person planned their retirement future properly.  They wouldn’t have to worry about moving to another country for financial reasons. 
It’s amazing how people blame their own country for the financial situation they are in.  I can see this if you are a citizen of a poor third world country. 
And some people don’t like the “control” of their own country.  Of course you have to abide by the laws and pay taxes in your country.  

Really!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Yip - one of my Plan B alternate bases....which may be soon...

I tag Viet Nam as a country near Thailand that is going to beat them on economic growth and other metrics...

Going to hose them next 20 years.

Totally agree. I said that to my wife years ago after working in Vietnam

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

From my experience, nice country Vietnam, but for reference in Cambodia, a one year retirement visa is $300! (must be over 55).

Yep, I couldn't understand what the point was with reference to $450 for Viet one year visa either. My multi entry, one year visa from Thai Embassy in Canberra was $A300 with little effort.

Besides, Thailand might have some governance issues, but I would always feel very uncomfortable settling down in a Communist country - just an aversion I have, especially these days.

Edited by Donga
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

You could not afford a Taxi? ????

If I'm on vacation I always walk if possible. What's the beauty to take a taxi from home to shopping mall, and then taxi to market and another taxi home back???

• Like 1

I haven’t found it any harder to obtain my retirement extension than I did when I started about twelve years ago, in fact it is easier, using the income method I only require a letter from the bank rather than a document from the Consulate which often tied up two days an overnight stay and six hours driving,

The ninety day reporting now takes about four minutes as only the passport is required.

I have visited Vietnam many times but would not want to live there, just as wouldn’t want to live in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Myanamar.

I am happy to live in Thailand with all the perceived faults.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Flink said:

I think you misunderstand the OP's point. It's not that he doesn't like foreigners. What, I believe, the OP is getting at is how foreigners arriving in their home country are changing it in ways that are not necessarily for the better.

While not the person you are responding to,  if that is the case then I understand their point perfectly, its repugnant and seems an odd thing to even state on a forum for ...' immigrants..  That aside I am a big believer in people having the freedom to go where they want. I expect that for myself, so I would grant the right to other people to enjoy the same privileges I expect.  If I find a place I am at is no longer to mu liking, and I don't want to be there, then I can move. I have .. for most of my life.

• Like 2