Motorcycle road tax

ktm jeff

My 250cc bike tax ran out in August 2020. What is the time limit for it being expired ( and not ridden ) before the reg plate number is cancelled , and i have to re-register the bike. The green book is in the name of the first owner , who has left Thailand years ago. Many thanks 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You just go get CTPL govt insurance then go get road tax you just pay back tax years and massive fine of about 1 baht per year. 

Cheers mate. I know about the back taxes. The problem is the bikes greenbook isnt in my name. If the tax isnt paid for over a certain period the greenbook and reg is cancelled. You cant get another greenbook issued , if your name wasnt in the first one. Which is the situation im in. If 3 years is 100% the time limit , im OK.

• Like 1

I know the fine is 1 Baht per month. Ive paid this before. Ive heard of a time limit of no tax , after which the rego/greenbook is cancelled. If its 100% 3 years , im OK. Many thanks.

Edited by ktm jeff
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

What is the time limit for it being expired ( and not ridden ) before the reg plate number is cancelled , and i have to re-register the bike.

After 3 years the registration is cancelled.

Recently I managed to do it three months before that for a granddaughters scooter.

They just don't care.

Compulsory insurance and tax has to be paid back for the missed time-span.

(plus some 1% per month in interest)

I paid some 1600 Baht for that scooter (incl inspection fee).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

Cheers mate. I know about the back taxes. The problem is the bikes greenbook isnt in my name. If the tax isnt paid for over a certain period the greenbook and reg is cancelled. You cant get another greenbook issued , if your name wasnt in the first one. Which is the situation im in. If 3 years is 100% the time limit , im OK.

When are you going renew it ?

I renewed road tax on a bike that wasn't taxed for 6.1/2 years using the green book in someone else name.

I paid for 7 years plus a big fine of about 100 baht or so.

Then I went about changing the name to my Mrs, changing number plate.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

Thank you for such a quick reply. People have told me 2 , 3 , even 5 years.

I believe it's up the DLT you go to I had no problem with a bike not being taxed for 6.1/2 years.

They just needed to inspect it but experts here will tell ya different.

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Recently I managed to do it three months before that for a granddaughters scooter.

They just don't care.

Thank you. It was the time limit i was after. 3 years seems to be the conclusion. Paying any back tax / insurance i know about.

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

When are you going renew it ?

I renewed road tax on a bike that wasn't taxed for 6.1/2 years using the green book in someone else name.

I paid for 7 years plus a big fine of about 100 baht or so.

Then I went about changing the name to my Mrs, changing number plate.

It can now be done after August this year. Im not a full time visa resident , so cant put bike in my name. Never a problem before when out for a month or so , but now the tax / ins has been out a year. Original owner returned to France , so greenbook frozen in his name.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 7:40 PM, KhunBENQ said:

They just don't care.

Taxes has to be paid for all missed period, plus a huge ???? fine of 1 baht per month for being late....

Not sure why they bother with that 1 baht /mth , I think it's in the law and they don't want to remove it, but don't want to put off people taxing if late...!

But I never heard of back paying the insurance, I'm usually late a few months and they start the tax from last expiry, but insurance always start from the day I go to DLT - are you sure ....!?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, ktm jeff said:

It can now be done after August this year. Im not a full time visa resident , so cant put bike in my name. Never a problem before when out for a month or so , but now the tax / ins has been out a year. Original owner returned to France , so greenbook frozen in his name.

Doesn't matter if the bikes not in your name as long as you have the green book or a copy of the green book you can tax & insure the scoot. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

are you sure ....!?

No :biggrin:

I didn't check the bill for the scooter of the granddaughter carefully.

Just from the sum it sounded too me like more than just the tax. Yearly tax is only 100 Baht. That would never make up for a 4 digit sum (something less than 2000, unfortunately not noted the details).

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:05 AM, Agusts said:

Taxes has to be paid for all missed period, plus a huge ???? fine of 1 baht per month for being late....

Not sure why they bother with that 1 baht /mth , I think it's in the law and they don't want to remove it, but don't want to put off people taxing if late...!

But I never heard of back paying the insurance, I'm usually late a few months and they start the tax from last expiry, but insurance always start from the day I go to DLT - are you sure ....!?

I dont believe the insurance is backdated , or any other fine , other than the 1 Baht per month for late tax. Tax is backdated at 100 per year. Insurance ( gov ) is 565 per year. Im probably not going to have to set up a crowd fund account to pay the total cost , whatever it comes to. I will post the outcome.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:25 AM, Kwasaki said:

Doesn't matter if the bikes not in your name as long as you have the green book or a copy of the green book you can tax & insure the scoot. 

I know that.  My origianal question was after how many years is the rego cancelled. 3 years seems to be the answer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

I know that.  My origianal question was after how many years is the rego cancelled. 3 years seems to be the answer.

And as I said I believe it's up to the province DLT office.

I paid for 7 years road tax because my bike had not been taxed for 6.1/2 years, so go fiqure.

This is Thailand as is said.

Edited by Kwasaki

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

And as I said I believe it's up to the province DLT office.

I paid for 7 years road tax because my bike had not been taxed for 6.1/2 years, so go fiqure.

This is Thailand as is said.

Didn't this come up in another thread and the conclusion was the number plate changed so it actually expired and was registered newly? I remember us argueing about that before ????

And yes Jeff, the limit is 3 years.

Section 35/3.39

In respect of the vehicle defaulting annual tax payment for three consecutive years, the registration shall cease

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Didn't this come up in another thread and the conclusion was the number plate changed so it actually expired and was registered newly? I remember us argueing about that before ????

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

I changed the number plate to a Sukhothai province plate because the bike had a Kho Samui one and they ask me if I wanted to change it. 

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I changed the number plate to a Sukhothai province plate because the bike had a Kho Samui one and they ask me if I wanted to change it. 

Sure but that's a different story. The main point here is how long can one backpay taxes and keep the same registration. 3 years. Jeff should be fine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Sure but that's a different story. The main point here is how long can one backpay taxes and keep the same registration. 3 years. Jeff should be fine.

Yeah agree looks as if 3 years is official from what you posted but it's no problem if the bike isn't road taxed for more years and that is why think some DLT's are different.

When I got my now bike and asked locally about non payment of road tax it was said 10 years and you have to pay for it to be re-registered.

If OP wants the bike in his name if he can contact the previous owner he only needs copy of passport picture page and a copy of the passport page showing the Thailand exit stamp. 

Owner to date sign both copies. 

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Thank you. Thats the official information i was after. Going over 3 years just means re-registering the bike , but without an affidavit from the long gone origional French owner , i cant re-reg. As i have always taxed/insured the bike for the last 7 years with another name in the green book , i see no need to change as i dont intend to sell the bike. Many thanks for your help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

And the added problem of the green book not being in my name. This is what could loose me the bike as i wont be able to get another reg without the origanal owner/ affidavit . Cheers.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you can still contact the original owner he can sign a transfer affidavit to transfer the bike into your name. 

Hes long gone. i dont mind the book being in another name. Taxed/insured previous years no problem. Dont intend to sell bike. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

some DLT's are different

If , maybe , you can contact the registered owner / can put the green book in your name. My GB is , whats called , "Frozen". All legal , but no longer changeable.