Why can’t the Thai Govt speed up opening the doors to tourism?

webfact

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL.UEM.TOTL.ZS?locations=TH

International Labour Organization database, which I believe are the guidelines most countries go by when figuring out employment numbers.

I think my real point is that when compared to many many other countries, Thailand has always had a lower unemployment rate. Covid has definitely been a massive hit to jobs but thus far from looking at various data, it has sustained a low unemployment rate. 'Millions unemployed', as some suggest, is a total fabrication born of nothing other than some sort of innate desire for everything in Thailand to go belly up.

Thailand's labour force is around 40million. 1% unemployment is 400 000, 2% is 800 000 3% you do the maths, hardly millions is it.

I am showing you data; you guys are showing me hearsay and relative said this relative said that. Come on.

I highly doubt an international credit ratings agency like Moody's would accept and publish dodgy data, even if it did come from the Thai gov.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Hmmmm again, you call them 'fools'. Seriously mate you do not have even the foggiest idea of what is going on this country or the larger ramifications of regime change would have to SE Asia and the world at large. I see you keep on having a go at Prayut but if you really actually knew anything about Thailand, which you do not, then you would know in reality the country is run by the privy council and Prayut is merely a figure head who, like many ex generals, politicians, businessmen and semi-royalty, will one day join the privy council. Lets just give you the benefit of the doubt and say you vaguely knew this, how dare you call these people fools, who are you? you are no one in Thailand compared to them my friend and you could not have ever been or will ever be part of a successful progression of a country to save your life. These men, and in some cases women, have successful transformed Thailand, avoiding such pitfalls as colonialism, communism, total authoritarianism and most recently the march of the dragon. They have transformed it into the most amazing country to travel, life in and for all of us to enjoy and love. Of course there are negatives but which country on this planet does not have any negatives. This is their country, they know what is best for the Thai people and they know the minds and ways of Thai people, NOT YOU!

I can remember the last time I spoke to a Thai, many Thai's in fact, and they all believe the best thing for Thailand is keeping the status quo because it has been so successful in avoiding said pitfalls in the past.

I have not encountered a SINGLE THAI in the past two or three years that approves of this regime. I seriously wonder who you are speaking with. Government employees? The status quo right now is a dangerously backward movement of the nation.

Seriously, encouraging the youth of this country to rise up against the status quo is like sending lambs to the slaughter and I very much doubt you will be there with them will you? Didn't think so.

Absolutely. Only the youth can bring change, which is drastically needed. 

Enough said to you, honestly I am probably wasting my time and I rarely come on this forum because it just seems to be full to the brim with people like you.

Thanks for your support of this forum, and it's members. I am of the opposite opinion. I think there are alot of smart, well informed, well intentioned folks on here, who love the nation as much as I do, but see some issues that are not being addressed, on any level.

I have just had enough of your ridiculous rhetoric. Read what I said and educate yourself, stop listening to idiots and reading junk mate, try and think outside of the box once in a while, try and understand the deeper fabric of Thai society. If you cannot or do not want to do this, then maybe you have alternative motives which require further investigation by the appropriate authorities.

Thinking outside the box is my specialty. I am not on a retainer from the leadership here. Perhaps you should inquire about one? They need the PR now, more than ever. 

18 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

try and understand the deeper fabric of Thai society. If you cannot or do not want to do this, then maybe you have alternative motives which require further investigation by the appropriate authorities.

That does sound suspiciously like a threat! Well positioned, for passing names to the "appropriate authorities" are you?

Edited by herfiehandbag

Why?

Because some Thai people in positions of authority are no doubt making good money on the testing regime, the quarantine hotels etc.

That plus their largest tourist market and 'controlling' interest over the region is in lockdown and controlling the masses through 'covid fear' over in China.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

It is published by Moody's analytics....look at the top corner of the screen. Jesus the people on this forum. Anyway, Thailand is renowned for always having had a very very low unemployment rate. Please show me graphs otherwise. Thailand has been covered by various media sources through the pandemic, praising how well they have done. Admittedly Q2 2021 onwards was tough but that is because Vax take up was slow due to delayed deliveries by sources OUTSIDE of Thailand.

how do you think Moody's got it's numbers? could it be from the Thai government?

Jesus, some people. think what you want from the propaganda. most here know to take some salt with it. Vax uptake was slow because the gov't decided not to join the world program, so they had to wait until the member countries got theirs.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have not encountered a SINGLE THAI in the past two or three years that approves of this regime. I seriously wonder who you are speaking with. Government employees? The status quo right now is a dangerously backward movement of the nation.

Thinking outside the box is my specialty. I am not on a retainer from the leadership here. Perhaps you should inquire about one? They need the PR now, more than ever. 

Ignore the government troll. Not a clue 

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

how do you think Moody's got it's numbers? could it be from the Thai government?

Jesus, some people. think what you want from the propaganda. most here know to take some salt with it. Vax uptake was slow because the gov't decided not to join the world program, so they had to wait until the member countries got theirs.

If they thought the numbers were dodgy, they wouldn't publish them. Read further down the article and you will see the numbers were observed by international officials as well.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How about you put your name and address behind some of these brave assertions of yours? 100% you won't because you are a massive charlatan, probably use a VPN to sign in.

• Sad 1

On 4/25/2022 at 1:58 AM, spidermike007 said:

The decimation and sabotage of a once dynamic industry is nearly complete. They still cannot demonstrate enough courage and wisdom to scrap the pass system. It is a bit like being monitored by big brother. Not a feeling most tourists are comfortable with. Most will simply decide on another destination. Thailand has learned nothing from two years of the shutdown. It is almost as if the current crop of so called leaders are incapable of learning. They still do not seem to understand that Thailand needs tourism 100X more than tourists need Thailand.

The economy here is anemic, at best. Skyrocketing unemployment, homelessness and suicide seems to be Prayuth's version of bringing happiness to the people. The only reasonable conclusion to come to, is that all of this was deliberate, and was a way of cleaning up the place, getting rid of the nightlife, and attempting to get rid of the "industry". Not gonna happen, despite all the foolishness. 

n3Homeless-1.jpg

airport-coronavirus-gty-ps-200305_hpEmbed_23x15_992.jpg

20210519_205816.jpg

Total manipulation of stock images. As if there were never homeless people and abandoned buildings before in Thailand. Next you will be showing us the Ghost Tower of Saphan Thaksin!

46 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

If they thought the numbers were dodgy, they wouldn't publish them. Read further down the article and you will see the numbers were observed by international officials as well.

you have more faith in the rhetoric than I. all I can tell you is a doctor in the family explained how the hospital was selectively recording covid deaths and the reality didn't match up with the official dialogue. take that as you will, I don't feel a need to convince anyone, just to pass along relevant information for others.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 2:53 AM, spidermike007 said:

I was at one in Bangkok near Pratunam

It is truly hilarious and coincidental that you used a picture of a 'mall corridor' in Pratunam. A place, as I mentioned, I know very well. These corridors have pretty much been like this for about two decades ever since MBK opened. Pratunam used to be the centre until MBK opened and then platinum mall took even more shops and businesses away. Usually those upper floors only have a few shops selling fancy dress costumes and university clothing.

5555 so funny you tried to pull this one in a place I know like the back of my hand and used to go to daily to pick up stock for my shops in MBK. Soi 19, great bamee-kiew, corner by Pratunam river taxi stop best khao mun gai, I lived/ owned a place in Soi 15 Pratunam Prestige condo for like 10years.

3 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

you have more faith in the rhetoric than I. all I can tell you is a doctor in the family explained how the hospital was selectively recording covid deaths and the reality didn't match up with the official dialogue. take that as you will, I don't feel a need to convince anyone, just to pass along relevant information for others.

Sure I can understand that but with so much disinformation, with questionable aims, on this forum right now, I think it is just best for everyone to post links of data to back up their comments.

11 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

How about you put your name and address behind some of these brave assertions of yours? 100% you won't because you are a massive charlatan, probably use a VPN to sign in.

Thanks. No reason to reply to such small minded insults. The size of your heart knows no bounds. 

In regard to your former point, while companies like Moodys might be relevant with a economy like Germany or the US, they mean nothing with regard to Thailand. No doubt they are measuring factory output, shipping, and other irrelevant factors. Since more than half of the Thai economy is off the books, done in cash, and non tax paying, and they were the ones worst hit, how do you get an official measurement of the devastation of the economy, or real unemployment? 

I know you will disagree. You always do. That is your M.O.

Part of the problem is the Embassies and Consulates. I was stuck for a while in Italy. Tried contacting the Embassy and Consulate neither responded with anything useful. Just got "Requirements are on the web site" which had nothing related to the Covid requirements. Fortunately the Thai Embassy in the UK was brilliant.

The big problem is though, and this seems to have changed since I entered the country, is that you had to book your quarantine hotel and pay for it at least 1 week before arrival but you didnt know the PCR test results until 1 day before departure. Had the result been positive I could not have flown but I would not get my hotel payment reimbursed either.

This is not really the way to go and needs to be looked at very seriously