Why can’t the Thai Govt speed up opening the doors to tourism?

webfact

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

As the title says. Stupidity, ignorance, lack of worldly understanding, blatant sabotage, organised disruption, strategic pilfering.

I could go on.

You could look up Hanlon’s Razor and the Dunning Kruger effect which largely sums up your assessment. ???? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Why not do it a month ahead along with your flight ticket?

Is there some requirement the pass needs to be done right before you leave?

Many travellers fly at short notice for various reasons and the embassy quote 7 days to address your application but if there is a rejection and you are notified with only a day or 2 before your trip , that is when your problems begin .

If you plan further ahead your application is put to the back and I have heard that in a few cases people have been kept waiting for weeks for approval . Not the norm I know but it has happened . Booking ahead also means you are relying on your airline to not change or cancel your flight , as has happened recently also if there are new covid travel regulations made , they may impact on your travel plans . Even now I would be hesitant in making a booking a long way ahead .

• Like 2

So many questions arise. What about Thais? My kids are Thai, unvaccinated, and are clearly not tourists. I am ready to book, but if I wish take my family with me, the whole things becomrs very confusing. Friends and family back home will also give Thailand a miss this year because of the dreaded Thaipass. First book a ticket, get insurance and then apply at the Embassy not knowing how long tbe aporoval time will be. This doesnt provide that relaxed holiday feeling one is after. Thailands tourist market grew for years because of the easy entry rules. Good luck Thailand, to get that 20% of your GDP back

We went Siam Serpentarium yesterday (world class snake zoo/museum), and the place is in state of decay. Reason: no foteign tourists. They will close their doors soon according to the staff. Such a shame.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

What can I do?  I've lived here for 18 years; have annual retirement 'visa'; 800K in bank; double jabbed.  If I visited family in UK how would I get insurance cover aged 80 to return?

If your 80 they should be visiting you ????‍♂️

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If I visited family in UK how would I get insurance cover aged 80 to return?

Many international insurance companies will sell over 80s travel insurance that will satisfy the TP system. You will just spend more than is reasonably necessary. I've done it.

4 hours ago, Sambotte said:

No need of tests for vaccinated.

Insurance is requested for both.

The tricky thing is now to anticipate the DELAY of Thai Pass approval.

Because you first have to buy the air ticket i guess.

Could be a LOT of registrations the first weeks starting 29.4

What you guys do you think ? 2-3 days for approval ? 1 week ? More ?

The days of just buying travel and going, have gone, IMO....pre-planning is likely going to be the norm for a long while yet.

Buy the travel...get your dates right etc..and send for the Thailand Pass....it takes 3 minutes to complete.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

The Thai Pass needs to be scrapped from 1st May.

Australia is now open to vaccinated people..however..they have a Border Force digital form to be completed....this make the Thailand Pass seem simple!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Nice summary. I could not find anything like this before now.

The embassy website for the visa is just a mass of confusion with links all over and confusing info.

Follow Richard Barrows on twitter or fb. Best authentic information minus the moaning and rants found here

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, samui99 said:

They forgot to mention Opening the Bars and Clubs. A lot of Tourists go on holidays to have FUN.

Bars and clubs(restaurants wink wink) are open until midnight. Plenty of time to have FUN 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

You're talking as if Thailand is squeaky clean and no internal infections...

Arrivals have more to fear from locals than vice-versa.

Thailand is not squeaky clean but neither are the tourist coming here. Do you think the Chinese are Squeaky clean? This long covid is all around me in my area so lets not add to the problem lets try to solve it. Slowly slowly is the only way right now.

3 hours ago, davemos said:

I have 4 groups of friends who have decided to go to V N ,or Cambodia .... Great work gov you have destroyed the tourist sector .

You have a lot of friends! I don't have even 4, so much as 4 groups! ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

Thailand is not squeaky clean but neither are the tourist coming here. Do you think the Chinese are Squeaky clean? This long covid is all around me in my area so lets not add to the problem lets try to solve it. Slowly slowly is the only way right now.

No need to fear China, Xi's keeping them at home to boost the domestic economy, he doesn't want them going away spending much needed cash.

But your point slowly is best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

As the title says. Stupidity, ignorance, lack of worldly understanding, blatant sabotage, organised disruption, strategic pilfering.

I could go on.

I would second every word of that.

• Thanks 1