Transferring Non-O Visa to new Passport options?

I'd like to renew my passport fairly soon, my Non-O spousal Visa was assisted by an agent, but they are saying they don't think they can transfer the Visa to a new passport for me. Anyone have experience in the situation on what my options are? Agent just says they don't think it's possible but it leaves me in a situation where I can't really exit the country and come back on my current passport.

Edited by Mikeheo

3 minutes ago, Mikeheo said:

Thanks for the correction, better to get the terminology correct, question still stands though.

a letter from your embassy is normally required to allow the transfer, ( but surely an agent can sort that) you will need a re-entry permit for the trip out of Thailand to allow re-entry, carry both passports with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

visas are not transferred to a new passport only any extension of stay stamps, 

Visas are not transferred however the information about the visa is written into new pp.

OP, the reason the agent is saying the stamps cannot be transfered is they most likely were obtained up country. My guess KK..That is where the stamps would need to be transfered.

I suggest that you travel with both passports. 

Steve & Dr Jack - my passport is currently submitted for renewal [via an agent in Pattaya] and I expect to get the new one in a couple of months as the waiting time is currently 10 - 12 weeks.

What is the 'Embassy letter'?  My local Immigration is very friendly and although I do not foresee problems I always like to be prepared. 

Also - a quick question - what happens when I have to do my 90 days before my new passport arrives.  My current one is obviously in the UK 'system' having been sent for renewal so I don't have a passport to take to Immigration with me.  I took photocopies of it [including extension which is 'Marriage'].  Can you see any problems?

2 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

What is the 'Embassy letter'?  My local Immigration is very friendly and although I do not foresee problems I always like to be prepared.

Not all embassies provide "letter".

Oz embassy being one eg.

There is a form available for request transfer.

As for your 90 report, you could do online using old pp details or via mail..

16 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Thanks Dr Jack - my Embassy [UK] doesn't provide letters either so I have been told.  Makes me wonder why I pay all those taxes in the UK!

Actually believe the UK does provide such but has to be asked for (at least that was the old system from reports).  90 day reports can normally be done online for many people.  As you used an agent check where the extension of stay was issued - it may not be from your local office making transfer tricky for the agent.  I would seriously consider starting over using a new passport entry without agent if you can qualify for extension, they are not hard to do if you meet the financials.  A bit concerned about the second reference to agent having passport - are you talking official UK facility or another JoeBlow?  Although it may only be a gray rather than black option highly advise against using someone that can disappear in the dark of night.    

31 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Thanks Dr Jack - my Embassy [UK] doesn't provide letters either so I have been told.  Makes me wonder why I pay all those taxes in the UK!

Yes they do issue one. If you apply for your passport here the letter will be given to you when you pick up your passport at the VFS office.

image.png.ca7c245d3d86e87d86e88960d6122008.png

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#services-we-provide-in-thailand

I just talked to my golfing buddy as I know he  renewed his UK passport. He went in person to Trendy, submitted his paperwork and had his  passport returned.

Three weeks later went to collect new passport. Was asked if he needed any of the submitted paperwork returned or destroyed. Was given new passport, old passport returned with corner cut off and letter to transfer stamps. Went to Rayong immigration was told that they do not transfer visas only entry stamp. Told to keep both passports together at all times. First exit, immigration wrote visa details in new passport and he had to do the bio-metrics. Leaves and returns to Thailand showing both passports. He has a non o multi entry.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Visas are not transferred however the information about the visa is written into new pp.

OP, the reason the agent is saying the stamps cannot be transfered is they most likely were obtained up country. My guess KK..That is where the stamps would need to be transfered.

I suggest that you travel with both passports. 

From Tak in this instance, if I was to travel with old and new passport, with a reentry permit on the old passport, would I completely lose the extension of stay I had and have to return visa exempt or with whatever new type of Visa I got before returning, or you think the immigration at airport would make a note in new passport?

5 minutes ago, Mikeheo said:

From Tak in this instance, if I was to travel with old and new passport, with a reentry permit on the old passport, would I completely lose the extension of stay I had and have to return visa exempt or with whatever new type of Visa I got before returning, or you think the immigration at airport would make a note in new passport?

Everyone has a current permission of stay (unless on overstay). It has "admitted till" date.

A reentry permit also has a an "until date". That date matching your POS.

You can exit and return. 

When you hand your old and new pp to the immigration officer have the page clearly displayed with reentry permit.

The officer will stamp you in to that date.

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

My current one is obviously in the UK 'system' having been sent for renewal

Your passport isn't in "the UK system", it is with the agent to whom you sent it. Only copies of your passport get sent with the application to the UK. If you surrender your passport to an agent who keeps it until the new one is issued, it shows what a nonsense the procedure for obtaining a UK passport is, which is presumably to slavishly observe the Thai requirement to have your passport with you at all times - which nobody bothers about.

9 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Steve & Dr Jack - my passport is currently submitted for renewal [via an agent in Pattaya] and I expect to get the new one in a couple of months as the waiting time is currently 10 - 12 weeks.

Also - a quick question - what happens when I have to do my 90 days before my new passport arrives.  My current one is obviously in the UK 'system' having been sent for renewal so I don't have a passport to take to Immigration with me.  I took photocopies of it [including extension which is 'Marriage'].  Can you see any problems?

a friend is in the same boat, but he collected his passport from the agent for his 90 day report, if you gave your passport to an agent then the agent still has your passport, they are not submitted with the paperwork for a renewal,

you will need a letter to move your Thai visa from your old passport into your new one at the Immigration Bureau.

If you renewed your passport at VFS Bangkok, you will be given a blank letter when you receive your new passport.

If you have not been given a copy of this letter, you may send your name and Thai address via web form and the embassy will post a copy to you.