Atrocious workmanship

Will B Good

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We suffered for three months..............jack hammer, as the moron above ripped out brand new, perfectly good, white marble tiles. 

The noise started up again two weeks after completion........went to juristic......the builder had put the wrong coloured tiles in!!!!!!!!!!

I took them three months to remove wrong color tile? Must have been a big condo.

14 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Could you live in a house that looks like it was built by peasants and to their low standards?  

I wouldn't be able to even be in a relationship with someone who's standards were that low.

As it is free to me......(no more rent, which will rocket in BKK shortly).....happy to suck it up.

Retired, so can take it steady improving everything.

Just now, petermik said:

We had this house built 8 years ago in Trang province 3 beds/2 baths cost was 1.3 million baht....could not fault the builder his attention to detail was excellent....not all tradesmen here are cowboys.....

House.jpg

Sweet.

1 minute ago, petermik said:

We had this house built 8 years ago in Trang province 3 beds/2 baths cost was 1.3 million baht....could not fault the builder his attention to detail was excellent....not all tradesmen here are cowboys.....

House.jpg

Very nice indeed!

That's the problem when you go low bid, lol, 

Not saying that was the issue here, get a good contractor that does quality kitchen / bath remodeling, have them re-do,

anything will be an improvement, good luck.

Edited by cobra

2 minutes ago, cobra said:

That's the problem when you go low bid, lol, 

Not saying that was the issue here, get a good contractor that does quality kitchen / bath remodeling, have them re-do,k good luck.

The rest of the work 'appears' to be good to reasonable.....all done by bigger companies contracted in......the team that botched this trim also did all the floor tiles, which seem spot on???

57 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

As it is free to me......(no more rent, which will rocket in BKK shortly).....happy to suck it up.

Retired, so can take it steady improving everything.

Rent will rocket very soon???
Have you seen the hundreds of new projects being started in BKK?

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of my favorite Thai sentences is: "I can do that."

Like: I need someone to repair my car. Don't worry, I can do that.

Someone to build a house: Sure, I can do that.

It's wonderful that so many people can do so many things. ???? 

I have just installed electrics, aircon, door screens and window blinds in my simple 4 m x 4 m man cave built by largely unsupervised local artisans a few months ago while I was out of the country.

I can now safely attest that no spirit levels, plumb lines, straight edges or other animals were hurt in this basic construction.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

Sometimes it appears that they are just being lazy and wanting to get the job done irrespective of the outcome but often it’s the builder’s delegation of work that is at fault. They hire totally inexperienced workers/labourers, show them how to do something quickly then leave them to it and expect a decent job.

The following example is typical of what happens regularly here:

When we bought our home in a moobahn several items needed to be finished ,30 days time frame was given and we held back part payment until we were satisfied.

One such item was some decorative stone cladding underneath the windows, the builder proudly showed us how they would look on the first example:

2BD25940-853C-4EFC-BD69-701390DC3A71.thumb.jpeg.fd3a4aa256c2769a88950e92b4cc950d.jpeg

We okayed this and returning a couple of days later were confronted with a young female finishing the second panel :

AAF3277B-FEE8-4721-9A87-D2FD7DEA271E.thumb.jpeg.00170fe2e5a0404d8b1d08053c55cbfb.jpeg

She showed off her handiwork proudly, I ushered her round the corner of the house to the previous example. It took a couple of trips before she spotted the glaring differences.

I blame the builder/supervisor for giving the job to someone who didn’t have the necessary skills.

My gf was in agreement after the fact that it needed replacing but i am not sure if she would have complained if left to her own devices.

In your case i would probably be willing to fill the gap in the tile edging and sand it down as this is well within my capabilities and accept that cutting the edging strip in a 3 way plane is not an easy job but i would bring it to the attention of the builder, along with any other poor workmanship, despite the friendship of the Fil. If there is a lot more work to be done or many other examples then it needs to be highlighted. Your wife may be happy to conform but she always has the option to lay the blame on the “ picky farang “, which i think in my case happens frequently !!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have just installed electrics, aircon, door screens and window blinds in my simple 4 m x 4 m man cave built by largely unsupervised local artisans a few months ago while I was out of the country.

I can now safely attest that no spirit levels, plumb lines, straight edges or other animals were hurt in this basic construction.

Great. Now you should put a big poster outside: Experienced builder can build everything! ???? 

To be fair to the Thais, most of us grow up looking at quality stuff, they generally do not.

I managed a manufacturing facility here for twenty years. You can have a guy on a press-brake with a stack of L brackets that are two or three degrees out and ask them to look at them, they have no ideal what you are talking about. You have to get a square and show them. Most everything they see growing up is crooked. 

I see this kind of stuff improving in Thailand while at the same time it's deteriorating in the US. 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I would consider teaching yourself how to do the electrical work. I do all the electrical work at my house. Finding solid workers here is like trying to find the Arc of the Covenant. It takes time to learn, but there are many instructional videos of how to online. I find it rewarding just knowing it will be done right.

I enjoy living a bit too much. One wrong move and zap!

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I took them three months to remove wrong color tile? Must have been a big condo.

It went on and on and on 0900-1700 Monday to Friday..........it shouldn't have been allowed....totally unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sometimes it appears that they are just being lazy and wanting to get the job done irrespective of the outcome but often it’s the builder’s delegation of work that is at fault. They hire totally inexperienced workers/labourers, show them how to do something quickly then leave them to it and expect a decent job.

The following example is typical of what happens regularly here:

When we bought our home in a moobahn several items needed to be finished ,30 days time frame was given and we held back part payment until we were satisfied.

One such item was some decorative stone cladding underneath the windows, the builder proudly showed us how they would look on the first example:

2BD25940-853C-4EFC-BD69-701390DC3A71.thumb.jpeg.fd3a4aa256c2769a88950e92b4cc950d.jpeg

We okayed this and returning a couple of days later were confronted with a young female finishing the second panel :

AAF3277B-FEE8-4721-9A87-D2FD7DEA271E.thumb.jpeg.00170fe2e5a0404d8b1d08053c55cbfb.jpeg

She showed off her handiwork proudly, I ushered her round the corner of the house to the previous example. It took a couple of trips before she spotted the glaring differences.

I blame the builder/supervisor for giving the job to someone who didn’t have the necessary skills.

My gf was in agreement after the fact that it needed replacing but i am not sure if she would have complained if left to her own devices.

In your case i would probably be willing to fill the gap in the tile edging and sand it down as this is well within my capabilities and accept that cutting the edging strip in a 3 way plane is not an easy job but i would bring it to the attention of the builder, along with any other poor workmanship, despite the friendship of the Fil. If there is a lot more work to be done or many other examples then it needs to be highlighted. Your wife may be happy to conform but she always has the option to lay the blame on the “ picky farang “, which i think in my case happens frequently !!

OMG.....amazing!! Love the tiny little sections of stone down either side....555

Edited by Will B Good

Personally I'd have had the 'tiler' mitre the tiles on a diamond cutter and not had the trim but if the trim is preferred, then a darker steel trim but obviously mitred correctly. It seems to be on some boxed in pipes so assuming the tiles are fixed very solidly. it wouldn't be too much trouble to cloak the messy tiles with correctly but and mitred tiles. This is only advisable if it is boxing and if the tiles are rigidly fixed with the correct adhesive.

There are squared off steel finish trims that are much easier to cut into mitred exterior angles. If the lengths are cut longer initially, then the mitres cut and once a tight joint is achieved they can be cut down to fit into the wall or end point.

Hopefully you haven't paid yet and I wish you luck as that finish is extremely poor. 

13 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Sorry for that, Will. But it's not an isolated case. I've had poor tiling done, nearly as bad as yours, done in my wife's 2 houses.  I also had to gradually get nearly all windows replaced, as most of them were not well set and did not close well. A lot of water coming inside with heavy rains....

And to your last question, using levelling tools, yes, they do use them.... sometimes. My local handyman always uses that thin water hose to get a horizontal line, which he then marks on the walls with the scratch of a nail. My "more sophisticated" builder uses levels with the bubbles to fix horizontal and vertical lines. That did not stop him and his workers to get a few posts in the house extensions inclined by a few degrees......

It boils down to three simple facts:

- Thais tend to be a bit too casual about most things in life.

- Thailand is after all a third world country, with most people not having the standards western people are used to.

I forgot the "third fact" : workers are sometimes drunk even in the morning! Happened to us, the guy who was building our indoors kitchen could not see the lines straight and even dropped one of our expensive tiles - which broke of course. The end of it was a kitchen work space that was poorly finished and looked so ugly that my wife had it entirely rebuilt a few months later.

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

My right foot was severed as a result of riding in the back-seat with my feet sticking out the window of a crew-cab, what's wrong with you? 

Wowee, that’s pretty intense! 

I had a disagreement with an SUV on my motorcycle at a traffic light a few years back, it turned in front of me on a green light. 
Fractured skull, brain injury, fractured neck, 2 fractured vertebrae lumbar, punctured lung, ruptured spleen, bruised heart, traumatic hernia, brachial plexus injury and a few other small fractures and lacerations. 4 months in hospital and around 4 years of rehab. 
I lost the use of my left arm, hand and finger function only and I now live with all the associated pain and loss of balance etc

After 29hrs of nerve transfer surgery on my arm and close to 2 years of intense rehab I got some use back, but it’s still a work in progress 

I actually broke the same arm a couple of months ago falling off of a ladder chasing birds out of my carport ceiling haha FML ????

• Sad 1