Thailand to Implement 300-Baht Fee for Foreign Arrivals

snoop1130

11 hours ago, Letseng said:

When I get to Austria next week I get charged 3€/day tourist tax. I get nothing in return, no insurance or assistance in an emergency. I need insurance to be able to get a Schengen visa.

Why is TH not entitled to do the same?

No you don't.....You get charged when you arrive at a hotel...not when you arrive in Austria .....and this tax is applied to everyone...It pretty works the same in France Italy and Spain

Hence you do not get anything in return as it is to maintain the touristic sites

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

I have  a feeling that Thailand's Tourism Fee (TTF) is the first time that a passenger fee is to be included in the ticket price based on the traveller's nationality, with a list of exemptions, and it will be interesting to see how ticketing agents can implement this and how check-in staff at airports can transmit the corresponding list of fee-paying passengers within 15 minutes after each flight departure. I can't see this happen.

I bought a ticket with Thai Airways a few days ago for London/Bangkok/London in Aug/Sep. Nowhere on the booking were passport/nationality details asked or even possible to be entered. The IT upgrade and integration with Thailand Tourism Fee will need to be paid for. The airlines will surely pass on those costs in even higher ticket prices too. Lose, lose for us travellers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tingtong said:

What?

Used for insurance.....while a mandatory insurance policy is in place?

3 hours ago, Jotho said:

Ooooh insurance, so you gotta purchase insurance for Thailand pass (because there is no way they are taking that off) and then another 300 baht for more insurance.. Yes yes, sounds very good and organised ????

Personally, I am working on the assumption that Thailand Pass and the related mandatory insurance will be phased out in the coming months before this becomes effective in Q3. Having said that, they are related to two separate issues. TP insurance is primarily a response to the risk of COVID medical expenses and the THB300 is a long mooted response to decades of Thailand sucking up general health costs for un-insured tourists. As the tourism industry grew rapidly from 10m pax in 2000 to 40m pax in 2019, I can imagine it's possible that the latter was starting to get 'painful'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, vinci said:

didn't they use to charge 500-Baht Fee back then, i remember paying 500 baht at the airport but don't remember what for.

It's still collected. Just hidden now (included) in the ticket price. So so soon it'll be B800 roundtrip simply snatched from every traveler, yet providing nothing...except more for the band if thieves in charge.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Letseng said:

When I get to Austria next week I get charged 3€/day tourist tax. I get nothing in return, no insurance or assistance in an emergency. I need insurance to be able to get a Schengen visa.

Is there an entrance fee for a Schengen visa? Indeed you need an insurance... but don't need to pay for another one..as THailand claim gthe money will be used for insurance....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Letseng said:

sure, if you are happy to have tourism as 5% of your economy...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Is Chote related to Pinocchio?

No. To clarify. Chote is a real person with a job to do in Thailand. Pinocchio is a fantasy figure made as a wooden doll.

Edited by Gottfrid

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand will begin charging international arrivals a 300-baht tourism fee in the third quarter of this year. The fee will be used to provide benefits such as insurance and emergency assistance to foreign travelers.

Will wait to see if that ever happens...

When the hospital hand you the bill and you say "paid in full" ask Anutin.

• Like 2

Thai Tourism; Death by a thousand cuts. This 300 baht gouge would be okay if it were the only one. If Suvarnabhumi is in Bangkok city limits perhaps the new mayor can add an additional few hundred to help the city cope.

BTW, this tax will be included in the ticket so as to be invisible; like the exit tax is now days ?

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jotho said:

Ooooh insurance, so you gotta purchase insurance for Thailand pass (because there is no way they are taking that off) and then another 300 baht for more insurance.. Yes yes, sounds very good and organised ????

thailand pass which requires insurance will be gone june `1st

300 baht is nothing compared to airfare, accommodations, food etc etc

although i do not agree with forced extras its not going to bother 95% of travelers one way or the other

12 hours ago, poohy said:

So are we free to assume as this fee is used for insurance the later will not be required....thought not

Whilst i have No problem in paying a fee, but after living here for 20 odd years you know it will never be used for any such purpose

Like National Insurance contributions in the UK. Same same. 

• Like 1