Thailand to Implement 300-Baht Fee for Foreign Arrivals

snoop1130

2 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Do you have a link?  I am hoping to go on a trip later this year.  Although I'm sure everything will have changed 4-5 times by then.????

... it should have worked as a link but try this one:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257898-thai-pass-health-insurance-duration/

As for you needing it having PR I would think the criterion is more like if you have national health care coverage or not, if so you would be exempt from this requirement, that's quoted from here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1258303-thailand’s-latest-entry-requirements-from-1-may-2022/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Letseng said:

When I get to Austria next week I get charged 3€/day tourist tax. I get nothing in return, no insurance or assistance in an emergency. I need insurance to be able to get a Schengen visa.

Why is TH not entitled to do the same?

do you really think you will get insurance and any extra assistance here when are Forced to pay this charge 

Ps on your next trip think about visiting planet earth 

• Haha 2

It is not the 300 THB most will not care about it... but it is again extra money that tourists has to pay and they are getting sick of it....double pricing on attractions and parks, taxis who are unreliable, the manipulation of the THB which makes a holiday very expensive, the Thailand Pass and the obligated insurance,. in Thailand xenphobic rules, about alcohol, e cigarettes, and even places to make pictures, chased by the police and always threatened to pay high fines. Add it with the negative reactions of the Government to foreigners in the past years, the unnecessary quarantines on own costs, an the latest maybe a city tax in Bangkok.... No wonder people don't want to come anymore... Tourists should be treated a guests and be welcomed.. and yes, they will make mistakes, as Thai people do too, but warnings, clear information and communication could solve a lot... Wearing a mask in Thailand is even not known .... There is no law it is requested, they use as a law because there is a fine of  max 20.000 THB, so you are obliged to do it, but is nowhere communicated for tourists, and as they come from country where the mask wearing is abolished, they don't know and here they are in trouble...and so on ...

Apart from being more expensive than some European destinations already, this is yet another nail into the tourism coffin of Thailand. 

It is not the 300 Baht, it is the attitude to skin the dirty farang and alien ..... while the skinning is good. 
Yet it needs to be seen, if these clowns have to be shown back into their circuses.

Taking the (self-proclaimed) figure of 40 million tourists; they left trillions of Baht in dual pricing, cheating and short changing already, Take 15% of said figure for 2023 (if at all) would result in 1.2 billion Thai Baht - will buy quite a few insurances for the alien and, for argument's sake, 36 million American dollars, is not to be sneezed at either. Wondering whose pockets are being lined this time ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Puccini said:

I have  a feeling that Thailand's Tourism Fee (TTF) is the first time that a passenger fee is to be included in the ticket price based on the traveller's nationality, with a list of exemptions, and it will be interesting to see how ticketing agents can implement this and how check-in staff at airports can transmit the corresponding list of fee-paying passengers within 15 minutes after each flight departure. I can't see this happen.

The implementation of this will be a nightmare - one that will actually impact me directly as I'll be tasked with handling the development work for this on the airline side. The Thai authorities just pushed all the costs associated with levying this tax onto travel companies and airlines. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:
3 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Do you have a link?  I am hoping to go on a trip later this year.  Although I'm sure everything will have changed 4-5 times by then.????

... it should have worked as a link but try this one:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257898-thai-pass-health-insurance-duration/

Thanks.  I'm sure if Ubon Joe says it's a 30 day insurance policy it's probably 99.9% correct.  ???? I was told by an insurance company a few months back it was for the duration of my visa, which didn't make sense. I'd only be able to travel Feb/March to make it cost efficient. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

ok so to supply insurance....So lets stop there  .

So Why do i need other insurance you have just stated 300 baht covers insurance ?

The 300 baht insurance is meant to cover the government, not the individual. This money is to cover the costs for the country of Thailand whenever an uninsured tourist is injured while visiting. If you think it is meant to cover the tourist as a replacement for other insurance, then the premium will be around 4000 baht per 30 days. 

As described to date, this 300 baht will not result in a personalized health insurance policy for travelers.

It will go into a massive pool of cash, from which some small portions may be distributed to hospitals having to care to foreigners without insurance, and/or providing a health flight back home.

That some authorities position it as insurance is a HUGE error, IMO.

But it's from "Keep them guessing" thai playbook.

Many countries charge some sort of fee/tax etc..of tourists.  Most often it is hidden in the ticket price.  It would nice (transparent; who Am I kidding) if the vaunted Thai authorities listed these benefits, so we"re all on the same page so to speak.

18 hours ago, DezLez said:

So

So does that mean travellers do not need the other Thai Insurance requirements  p(i)ass and go) or can you now claim on this new Thai "Insurance Policy" if you require it?

Really, what you think you get for 300 Baht ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Its only a 300 baht arrival tax as so many people have mentioned but its in addition to the 700 baht exit tax. So the figure is now 1000 baht per person.  

If you fly in and out of Thailand regular its 1000 baht on every trip

Family of four its 4000 baht total per visit.

Its not great for news frequent travelers or local airlines like Air Asia offering cheap tickets KL, Penang, Saigon etc. If plan to travel around SE asia and use Thailand as your hub and its adding 1000 baht for every visit. You can minimize that by only visiting Thailand once rather than multiple visits but thats a negative for Thailand. 

Raising the tax from 700 to 1000 baht is not a smart move in my opinion. A temporary reduction to 500 baht would have been better. Any kind of reduction even a small 100 baht would have been good way to create some news and use the media exposure to promote Thailand travel post covid. 

All airlines have additional taxes. Take a look at the last ones you took. Everything, including fuel, different insurances, lack of staff, will force prices to rise. Just look at filling your car now at 2 € a liter !  They’ve just said there’s a 5% rise in prices over the last year in Europe. It’s going to rise.  I remember paying over 1000 € for a return ticket to Thailand over 30 tears ago. They way, where , and how we travel changes over the years. 

18 hours ago, DezLez said:

So

So does that mean travellers do not need the other Thai Insurance requirements  p(i)ass and go) or can you now claim on this new Thai "Insurance Policy" if you require it?

What makes you think that the current mandated insurance requirements will still be in force in September?

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's not the 300 baht that worries me, it's all these other taxes on tourist that they are dreaming about that does. Please, don't  make it hard on the backpackers as they may be the only ones coming.

TH flits between loving and hating backpackers so I’m a bit unsure of what todays opinion is. I guess it depends on TATs predictions for high spending arrivals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Every airline ticket I have bought for years on end has required passport details, it is known as API(Advance Passenger Information).

My wife's ticket always states she cannot self check in and must go to the counter.

Currently passport info not needed with Thai Airways when buying a ticket. Only when checking in.

It says money will go towards insurance and helping tourists ….not a chance, this is a cash grab for corrupt civil servants???????????? If it was for insurance to help tourists they would explain exactly how that would work because they would have put a budget together based on projected income vs what it would cover????another political scam to fill the wrong pockets???????????? They could at least try and help the poor Thais who were hurt so badly by the pandemic????But no, it’s typical Thailand where the rich get richer????

• Like 1