Thailand to Implement 300-Baht Fee for Foreign Arrivals

snoop1130

Some here may remember when we had to pay B500 at a special wicket before checking in when leaving. This scheme puts a lot of extra work on the airlines.

IF it's real medical & accident coverage & the need for separate cover goes away, then it's sure worth it to add ten bucks to the price of an int'l ticket.

This is my recent fare breakdown, but it does not show which country gets what, and is very unclear about these fees totalling $145.76.

An extra 300 baht hardly makes a difference to an international trip.

Cost breakdown
Ticket fare: 1290
New Border Clearance Levy 43.74
Passenger Security Charge (international)16.32
Passenger Service Charge (International) 15.99
Passenger Service Charge (International) 14.71
Airport Development Levy 6.60
Passenger Service and Security Fee 13.00
Advance Passenger Processing User Charge 1.60
Advance Passenger Processing User Charge 1.60
International Arrival and Departure Fees 0.70
International Arrival and Departure Fees 0.70
Passenger Service Charge(Domestic/International) 30.80
Grand total: NZD 1,435.76

Chote said the fund will be used to develop tourist sites, provide 30-day insurance coverage, and assist tourists in emergency situations such as sickness, accidents, or other incidents while in Thailand.

Wonder if other incidents include being victim of scams.
Nah, just kidding. None of above will actually be covered. Just another scam to compensate for declining income. Considering the amount TAT expect to get from the tourists they should instead introduce a 1000 Baht on-arrival gift.

• Like 1

just on the surface it sounds like that “insurance” is really more of an indemnity versus traditional contact/policy-based insurance.

My guess here - again, my guess only- is that the underlying goal is to make sure that if/when a foreigner is hurt while here - and (for whatever reason) they don’t have either an applicable insurance policy or access to funds to pay for their care, this “insurance” will act as a kind of last resort backstop so that hospitals aren’t really left with unpaid care. 

again, my guess … 

On 4/29/2022 at 1:29 PM, Letseng said:

When I get to Austria next week I get charged 3€/day tourist tax...

How is this Austrian tourist tax collected? Is it a national tax, ie the same throughout the country?

17 hours ago, issan101 said:

Many countries charge some sort of fee/tax etc..of tourists.  Most often it is hidden in the ticket price.  It would nice (transparent; who Am I kidding) if the vaunted Thai authorities listed these benefits, so we"re all on the same page so to speak.

We are all familiar with an airport charge or tax, usually added to the outward costs.... is it commonplace to have an arrivals charge? Been to a few places myself and don't recall ever  being hit up except for overpriced Visas in neighboring countries here.  It is close to US$100, not really insignificant if it is a short visit or poorer people ... the types they secretly covet... simply numbers. 

9 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

An extra 300 baht hardly makes a difference to an international trip.

No clue why people keep raising this point?

Very few here are complaining about the 300 baht. 

300 baht on a 120,000 baht air ticket isn't even couch change.

What many of us are asking is

why now

who will pay

how will it be collected

which ministry will manage the funds

how will the funds be spent

who will embezzle the funds

And if 300 baht is insignificant, why not raise it to 1,000? 2,000?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

But both were liars…and very wooden in their delivery when lying.

Yeah, that´s no doubt about that. However, to do such bad against Pinocchio. He was a wooden doll that became a real man by turning to good. Comparing a person that have no possibilities to achieve that with such a pleasant story is not very nice. ????

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DezLez said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes you think that the current mandated insurance requirements will still be in force in September?

What makes you think that they won't still be in force?  T.I.T.

You're the one who suggested that they may be running concurrently, that's why I commented on your post.  

• Haha 1

This topic has been beaten to death for the past couple of years. When the fee was first proposed, I think the vast majority on then TVF agreed that it was appropriate. In fact, most people were ready to agree to somewhere between 1000 and 2000 baht. That was on the condition if no mandatory Thai insurance was required of foreigners getting retirement extensions and the like.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, that´s no doubt about that. However, to do such bad against Pinocchio. He was a wooden doll that became a real man by turning to good. Comparing a person that have no possibilities to achieve that with such a pleasant story is not very nice. ????

The truth seldom is. 

On 4/30/2022 at 4:20 PM, soi3eddie said:

Currently passport info not needed with Thai Airways when buying a ticket. Only when checking in.

Have never used Thai Airways and have only ever been to countries on the list.

When travelling to or from certain countries, passengers are required to provide advance passenger information (API) before they check in or they will be unable to fly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Passenger_Information_System

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It was all your post warranted. 

Then you didn´t understand what you read. I was referring to you, comparing two things that were to different at the end. So, the focus was on your choice, and not how nice the truth was. Better read again.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Then you didn´t understand what you read. I was referring to you, comparing two things that were to different at the end. So, the focus was on your choice, and not how nice the truth was. Better read again.

As I said true truth often isn’t nice. 

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, island coconut said:

Exactly! Anyone who bitches about a lousy 300 Baht entry fee can just stay home <deleted>. MANY countries require some form of fee from foreign visitors, in most cases a lot more than 300 Baht.

What you are failing to take into account is that those of us who live here will be treated as tourists, so what benefit do we get? There is no indication that those on non immigrant visas etc will be excluded from this, so what's your response to that?

On 4/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, greeneking said:

'Chote said the fund will be used to develop tourist sites........'

Why can't the Thais who benefit from tourism do this from their own self interest? I don't believe it. 

And Bangkok is also after another tax from tourists  to maintain the wonders of this beautiful and fascinating city.  Unwise to make a failing business model more expensive for the remaining users.

No need to shout!

• Confused 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:12 PM, poohy said:

So are we free to assume as this fee is used for insurance the later will not be required....thought not

Whilst i have No problem in paying a fee, but after living here for 20 odd years you know it will never be used for any such purpose

Dream on ????????