Thailand Tailors Are they still VFM

Lancelot01

When I (eventually) return to Thailand,  I am hoping to replenish my wardrobe (closet) with bespoke clothing, suits, shirts, shorts etc..

Thanks to covid, I have managed to reduce my bulk by 17.5 kg (+/-40lb) and as a consequence none of my clothes fit me.

My question to members is "are Thailand tailors  good value for money". I have purchased clothes in the past and my view is you get what you pay for. I.e. if you buy a $99 suit, it'll look like a $99 suit.

Have things changed?

Above are probably  the best in Thailand . I don't agree with you about $99 suits, have seen some places that were in MBK Mall  in BKK and shops in  Pattaya that could make a very good looking suit for maybe $50 than $99 that looked much more expensive. Sometime you have to tell them to double stich or use premier thread  so as not to have problems later.

https://www.boutiquebangkok.com/rajawongse-tailors-bangkok-suit-shopping#:~:text=While many Bangkok tailors boast,many more visiting US statesmen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to note that it is only the labour that is cheap. The import duties on material make it more expensive than many other countries. If you are on a short trip best to tell them you are leaving a day or two before you really are so extra time for adjustments to be made. I always used to buy my suits in M&S as I was standard size but had shirts made in Bkk though the shop I used has now closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My take on this, is I usually go to the best hotel in the place and ask the concierge for a recommendation on tailors - if it's the best hotel they'll know you're looking for top quality material and workmanship.

Always have a few days to spare and have three fittings.

I don't find BKK to be great.

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Above are probably  the best in Thailand . I don't agree with you about $99 suits, have seen some places that were in MBK Mall  in BKK and shops in  Pattaya that could make a very good looking suit for maybe $50 than $99 that looked much more expensive. Sometime you have to tell them to double stich or use premier thread  so as not to have problems later.

https://www.boutiquebangkok.com/rajawongse-tailors-bangkok-suit-shopping#:~:text=While many Bangkok tailors boast,many more visiting US statesmen

I've used Victor and Jesse before. My son says you can even feel the quality in the thickness of their carpet. 

• Like 2

Jesse is indeed Indian and has even suited Da Roadrunner. But the actual tailor behind the scenes is Chinese and the best in Bangkok. Materials and workmanship excellent. Most tailors shops are fronted by Indians and it pays to bargain the price down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You want bespoke ... then Narin Couture can't be beaten. Paris trained. A couture house for discerning gentlemen.

Just up Sukhumvit Road (opposite side to Nana) just up from Soi 8. Older wooden styled front shop with a couple of single mannequin display windows.

No <deleted> farmed out factory suits (which is what every Indian and most other tailors in BKK sell you) from this Thai Master tailor, no rubbish stitching, real shell buttons on his shirts, no glued carcasses in suit jackets that twist, wrinkle, and warp in his clothing.

A best quality Italian woven fine Merino wool two piece suit will set you back over 1200 AUD but that's less than ⅓ the price for the same quality made and fabric suit in Australia. He can make anything. 

• Thanks 1

I think you will find that Jesse and Victors suits are bespoke and not 

10 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

farmed out factory suits (which is what every Indian and most other tailors in BKK sell you)

So be prepared for at least one visit for fitting prior to final stitching

On 5/2/2022 at 3:02 AM, Lancelot01 said:

My question to members is "are Thailand tailors  good value for money".

This is a contentious topic, not so much here where we buy our singlets pret-a-porter, in lots of 12 at Bo Bae.

I'd search the interwebs and other forums to get a feel for which might "suit" your needs, style and price range. Once you've narrowed it down to two or three certainly check back.

As it is your post is sort of like "I'm hungry, what should I eat now?"

The concierge tip sounds like something Don Draper might recommend? Circa 1965.

16 minutes ago, sead said:

Thailand tailors are not Thai lol

The people who do the actual cutting and sewing mostly are. "Chinese tailors" is mostly a salesman telling a customer what he wants to hear.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tony125 said:

I must say it is truly amazing that US Presidents with all the massive security requirements of a visit to a tailors shop insist on visiting a certain Thai tailor despite the fact that high end tailors like Oxxford and Brioni and Savile Row tailors visit them in the Whitehouse. What is even more amazing is all the Presidents and celebrities who manage to visit these tailors without setting foot in Thailand..

• Like 2

I’ve had 3 Tailored suits in my time here.... (Raja / Narry) - not terrible, not greatly impressed either, somewhat underwhelmed really.

I’ve had 3 off the rack-suits slightly adjusted (length and cuff) which were excellent (Paul Smith, Hugo Boss, Givenchy).

The former (tailored) do not come close to the latter in terms of quality.

The Latter cost at least 3x more than the former but have lasted a lot longer. 

So, Tailored suits... IMO they are not better than a good off the rack suit, but they may be better than a cheaper off-the-rack suit for the first 6 months. 

The additional facet is your shape: IF you are of a standard physique there are plenty of good ‘off the rack suits’ which will fit you.... However, if you more portly, shorter legs, or if your limbs are stretched and you’re dragging your knuckles it may be more difficult to find a good off-the-rack fit.

But...... don’t think you are getting a great suit from a tailor in Bangkok... you are not, you are getting an OK suit which fits and thats about it. The rest is just ‘feel good factor’ that you have ‘arrived’ and had your own tailored suit and can now throw around the word ‘bespoke’ as if you’ve strolled down Savile Row and had your pick  !!! ????... 

That said: Tailors in Bangkok are good for making <deleted>s - completely forgetting about the actual suits for a moment - the Tailors here do make decent shirts and that is something worth looking at. 

I’d just shop around a lot first to find a good ‘off the rack suit’ if getting an excellent suit rather than an OK suit is your thing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My husband recently looked around for a new tailor to get pants made and shirts. His trusted Thai tailors had died of old age. 

Nothing has changed on the tailor scene. He found a shop on the cnr. Sukhumvit Soi 26. Pants worked out fine, shirt not great. Work done on premises, Thai owned. 

I don't have suits/shirts/shoes made in Bangkok, but like many tried it when I came here 25 years ago. if you want a Savile Row suit you actually have to go to Savile Row, which is what I did.

Everybody thinks they are going to find some old Chinese guy in a sub soi off Sukhumvit who will make them a Savile Row standard suit at a fraction of the cost. Despite all the talk of "fine tailoring" your suit will be cut from a standard pattern despite all the talk of bespoke and individual patterns - maybe with the top few they do. When you find piece of paper in the pocket with 42L written on it you can't fool yourself otherwise.

Bangkok is good for:

15 Lime Green team jackets in different sizes.

Trying out an idea like Orange and Blue Plaid cheaply to see if you like it.

If you have to wear suits and can't buy OTR and cost is a consideration more than quality/cut/ finish.

Even with the high end tailors it seems you pay 75% of the cost and get 60% of the quality - maybe better pay 100% elsewhere and get 100%. Sad to say, Bangkok has suitmakers, but few Tailors.

Sukhumvit "Tailors".
Best overview here: http://bkkbusiness.com/?page_id=329 I am not the author.

People's experience with the high end here - old but still relevant.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/bangkok-tailors.527/

If you want a recommendation I would say Tailor on Ten. They have yet to make a suit or jacket for me but would be my choice if I did. I have used them for alterations and was impressed with their knowledge of what was causing e.g. shoulder divots - the interaction between shoulder, arm scye and sleeve tightness.

I have trusted them with alterations to Savile Row and high end Italian - the latter was literally a remodeling taking it down one whole size  and they did it very well.

They claim they will make you a decent half canvassed suit in a good fabric and at a reasonable price and I would say that is a fair claim and this is Bangkok's niche IMO.

I have no relationship with them other than as a customer who has been impressed by their knowledge and workmanship.

19 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I've used Victor and Jesse before. My son says you can even feel the quality in the thickness of their carpet. 

Carpet is to distract you from material quality. ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I don't have suits/shirts/shoes made in Bangkok, but like many tried it when I came here 25 years ago. if you want a Savile Row suit you actually have to go to Savile Row, which is what I did.

Everybody thinks they are going to find some old Chinese guy in a sub soi off Sukhumvit who will make them a Savile Row standard suit at a fraction of the cost. Despite all the talk of "fine tailoring" your suit will be cut from a standard pattern despite all the talk of bespoke and individual patterns - maybe with the top few they do. When you find piece of paper in the pocket with 42L written on it you can't fool yourself otherwise.

Bangkok is good for:

15 Lime Green team jackets in different sizes.

Trying out an idea like Orange and Blue Plaid cheaply to see if you like it.

If you have to wear suits and can't buy OTR and cost is a consideration more than quality/cut/ finish.

Even with the high end tailors it seems you pay 75% of the cost and get 60% of the quality - maybe better pay 100% elsewhere and get 100%. Sad to say, Bangkok has suitmakers, but few Tailors.

Sukhumvit "Tailors".
Best overview here: http://bkkbusiness.com/?page_id=329 I am not the author.

People's experience with the high end here - old but still relevant.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/bangkok-tailors.527/

If you want a recommendation I would say Tailor on Ten. They have yet to make a suit or jacket for me but would be my choice if I did. I have used them for alterations and was impressed with their knowledge of what was causing e.g. shoulder divots - the interaction between shoulder, arm scye and sleeve tightness.

I have trusted them with alterations to Savile Row and high end Italian - the latter was literally a remodeling taking it down one whole size  and they did it very well.

They claim they will make you a decent half canvassed suit in a good fabric and at a reasonable price and I would say that is a fair claim and this is Bangkok's niche IMO.

I have no relationship with them other than as a customer who has been impressed by their knowledge and workmanship.

Not sure if staff changed at T@Ten. Husband went to have shirts/pants made. Indian guy couldn't stop looking at his phone while showing the one & only roll of cotton twill material they had. Shirt material was just sample books. How would they get a Thomas Mason material within 2 days I wonder? We are not tourists.

3 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Not sure if staff changed at T@Ten. Husband went to have shirts/pants made. Indian guy couldn't stop looking at his phone while showing the one & only roll of cotton twill material they had. Shirt material was just sample books. How would they get a Thomas Mason material within 2 days I wonder? We are not tourists.

I dealt with K Joakim and K Cha and was impressed with their knowledge. This was a few months ago and if they are no longer there then my review is no longer current, obviously.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve had 3 Tailored suits in my time here.... (Raja / Narry) - not terrible, not greatly impressed either, somewhat underwhelmed really.

I’ve had 3 off the rack-suits slightly adjusted (length and cuff) which were excellent (Paul Smith, Hugo Boss, Givenchy).

The former (tailored) do not come close to the latter in terms of quality.

The Latter cost at least 3x more than the former but have lasted a lot longer. 

So, Tailored suits... IMO they are not better than a good off the rack suit, but they may be better than a cheaper off-the-rack suit for the first 6 months. 

The additional facet is your shape: IF you are of a standard physique there are plenty of good ‘off the rack suits’ which will fit you.... However, if you more portly, shorter legs, or if your limbs are stretched and you’re dragging your knuckles it may be more difficult to find a good off-the-rack fit.

But...... don’t think you are getting a great suit from a tailor in Bangkok... you are not, you are getting an OK suit which fits and thats about it. The rest is just ‘feel good factor’ that you have ‘arrived’ and had your own tailored suit and can now throw around the word ‘bespoke’ as if you’ve strolled down Savile Row and had your pick  !!! ????... 

That said: Tailors in Bangkok are good for making <deleted>s - completely forgetting about the actual suits for a moment - the Tailors here do make decent shirts and that is something worth looking at. 

I’d just shop around a lot first to find a good ‘off the rack suit’ if getting an excellent suit rather than an OK suit is your thing. 

I don't think a lot of Thai Visa readers bothered to view the vid I posted. Not only have various US Presidents had their suits done at that shop  but their security detail aka Secret Service men have their suits made there as well. Reason, as in the movie John Wick the suits are designed  to hide the fact that the wearer is carrrying weapons.

Most guys I've seen in Thailand don't have a perfect body so buying/wearing a suit made for them looks better, feels better than an off the rack suit .

Edited by Tony125
spelling

7 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Not only have various US Presidents had their suits done at that shop

Which ones were there at the same time you were? The shop is so small i am surprised the President could get in there with his security people who it seems were also being fitted out.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Letseng said:

IMHO the work is not probably done in that shop but at a second location where the materials are kept. That's is why second /third fittings are sometime done. Tailor at the shops takes your measurements other shop/factory uses the material and makes suit. Then you come back to have the prime tailor make any adjustments needed.

• Like 1

I knew someone who set up and ran a Bangkok tailor shop. The vast majority of them aren't tailors at all - they just take your measurements and send them to vast sweatshop factories to get the suits made up by itinerant workers.

None of the fabric comes from where they say it comes from either. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

I knew someone who set up and ran a Bangkok tailor shop. The vast majority of them aren't tailors at all - they just take your measurements and send them to vast sweatshop factories to get the suits made up by itinerant workers.

None of the fabric comes from where they say it comes from either. 

Yep, the guy who turns up on the scooter. Also i wonder how much money you would make selling cheap wool fabric as Loro Piana - that said, I know that Holland and Sherry for example do have a rep in SG who covers Thailand, so some are using the real thing.

I forget that I actually did have a jacket made up fairly recently in BKK by one of the people who claimed to be a Tailor with 40 years experience but the actual cutting and sewing and fitting was done by a Thai worker. The reason I forgot was because it is in the back of the wardrobe and never worn because what I have is basically a silk Donkey Jacket. I needed someone who would do cut/make/trim. The CMT cost me Bt9,000 and the cheap Chinese silk Bt6,000. For that I could have bought a new Italian high end off ebay or I could have arranged it myself for less.

I am not using suits anymore but before they were my usual attire at work and I have ordered more than a dozen when I was in Thailand, but I believe the following statements still apply:

1. Forget a US$ 99.- suit

2. There are decent tailors here, explore the net and get recommendations and then visit. Some have in fact pictures with them together with known personalities on their walls, not presidents but maybe some ambassadors. From some I know that airlines order costumes there for their inflight personnel. I personally avoid the shops with someone sitting outside and calling you to come inside

3. 2 fittings are standard but demand 3 fittings

4. In fact they will do as they are told by the customer, so be creative with additional pockets etc. You may as well demand a flexible but nearly invisible part that stretches around the waist if you sit down or are dining

5. I am not sure if you may take all this gibberish and tests (burning the fabric) of the fabrics for real. The materials are like you perceive them (soft, hard, strong) and thats it. Original cashmere costs a real fortune. Every tailor wanting to sell me his fabric as real cashmere looses 80% of my trust on the spot. He may still be able to produce a very good suit with the materials he has and sells as real, "imported from Italy" etc. I have some really decent suits (but unfortunately am not able to wear them anymore)

6. It is always a good idea to order a jacket with two pants instead of one once you have the prefect fit

7. I actually forgot prices - some time has passed since then as well - but should I guess I would say if it is above THB 10K (with one pants) you should not be surprized.

By the way all my clothes are custom made but not suits. A question of body size and the frequency of its change. And availability. And actually price performance. I find prices for custom made casual wear cheap here. Only disadvantage I experience: If you look for a shirt with a design, you will not get something modern, like the newest Arrow collection etc. In the distant past I used to buy these nice shirts ready made ????

Edited by moogradod

7 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Yep, the guy who turns up on the scooter. Also i wonder how much money you would make selling cheap wool fabric as Loro Piana - that said, I know that Holland and Sherry for example do have a rep in SG who covers Thailand, so some are using the real thing.

I forget that I actually did have a jacket made up fairly recently in BKK by one of the people who claimed to be a Tailor with 40 years experience but the actual cutting and sewing and fitting was done by a Thai worker. The reason I forgot was because it is in the back of the wardrobe and never worn because what I have is basically a silk Donkey Jacket. I needed someone who would do cut/make/trim. The CMT cost me Bt9,000 and the cheap Chinese silk Bt6,000. For that I could have bought a new Italian high end off ebay or I could have arranged it myself for less.

True. A suit bought here in Australia is better quality and looks the part.

• Like 2

Many years ago an Indian tailor on Sukhumvit told me very honestly that he didn't want to copy anything from Italy, France or London because the customer would always be disappointed because no matter how accurately they copied the measurements they just could not duplicate anything from Italy France or London because "it has a certain something and we don't know what it is and therefore can't duplicate it". The real skill in tailoring is not just cutting but also structure and "forming". A Bangkok lapel is flat and razor edged while a Savile Row lapel rolls - part of the reason is that they use a stiff liner at the bottom and press THAT not the rest of the lapel so the rest of the lapel rolls. If you look at a Canali or Belvest you can see it is literally stitched/tensioned into shape.