Interpreting the Royal Thai Consulate Saigon website about non-O visa..

I know, I know, just what you were all waiting for, more Non-O visa based on marriage questions!

I haven't been closely following travel rules between Thailand and Vietnam (Saigon) but I do believe things are opening up without too many hoops to jump through, yes?

If that is the case, and please correct me if I am misinformed, I have just read up on getting the aforementioned visa in Saigon on the Royal Thai Consulate Saigon website. It seems pretty much as it was a few years ago except now health insurance is required for the length of the visa (that would be 3 months) and one needs to present a financial statement showing "adequate" finances. I don't think that was necessary before. I'm curious what is adequate? Are they asking for the 400k or 20,000 baht?

Also, it says the visa is for 3 months and can be extended up to one year. This is normal visa-speak, yes? I can't recall as it's been a while.

I'm due this month to see immigration as the 90 day Non-O visa based on marriage that I got online when back in the US is ending. I don't believe these are extendable but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure I can easily get the 400k into a bank here and I'm assuming my Wise transfers over the past year are going to prove useless, based on reports of so many folks. This leads me to thinking a trip to Saigon might prove simpler, if it is indeed on the table.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

Thanks as always!

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 10.50.39 PM.png

6 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I'm due this month to see immigration as the 90 day Non-O visa based on marriage that I got online when back in the US is ending

I rarely have read such a confused OP.

So you are currently in Thailand having entered on a non O?

If so that would have given you a 90 day stamp on entry.

In last 30 days of that permission of stay you would apply for 12 month extension.

Based on marriage would require 400k in Thai bank for 2 months.

Have you done that?

Come on, I'm SURE you have read more confused OPs... My apologies, it was mostly a case of too many questions in too short a post and visa questions are often complicated like a calculus equation.

Yes, I'm currently in Thailand having entered with a Non-O marriage obtained online. Length of stay is 90 days and will expire this May 19. I was unclear if this could be extended and if so what would be required. I do not have 400k in the bank but have been dutifully transferring at least 40,000 per month. But since this was with Wise, I'm not sure it will pass muster. My hope was to avoid having to do all the paperwork and rigamarole associated with a new visa. When normally going for the 90 day extension, none of this is required. But I don't think that's the case with the online visa I have. I hope I'm explaining myself. 

So you are suggesting that I will have to show the financial support (400k or 40k/month) and also all the documents/photographs/etc...and have my wife accompany me...just like applying for a new O-visa, yes?

I know I can get the 60 day extension to visit wife (to season the money) if my Wise transfers are not accepted. But I'm not sure my wife will be up to the task of going to immigration and helping in any way in this process (photos of us in front of house, for example). We are still together but she is mentally unfit, at the moment.

That brings me to the title of the OP where I wondered if Saigon was once again an option. If so, it might be worth considering.

Thank you, Dr. Jack!

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife to get more time to apply for a one year extension.

Do you have a 12 months of transfers that are at least 40k baht. You can get credit advises from you bank to to prove your Wise transfers came from aboard. 

The insurance requirement you mentioned is only needed for entry to the country and to get a Thailand Pass and since the 1st of this month has been reduced to $10,000.  

8 hours ago, bamboozled said:

But I'm not sure my wife will be up to the task of going to immigration and helping in any way in this process (photos of us in front of house, for example). We are still together but she is mentally unfit, at the moment.

Your wife would need to accompany you to immigration for either extension, 60 days or 1 year. How old are you? If 50+, you have other options (retirement extension) that wouldn't involve your wife. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife to get more time to apply for a one year extension.

Do you have a 12 months of transfers that are at least 40k baht. You can get credit advises from you bank to to prove your Wise transfers came from aboard. 

The insurance requirement you mentioned is only needed for entry to the country and to get a Thailand Pass and since the 1st of this month has been reduced to $10,000 .  

Joe, I do have the transfers but they were made with Wise so I'm not sure they will cut the mustard. Going to the bank to get my printout is on my to-do list. My understanding is that if Wise sent them with the wrong code, there is nothing the bank can do to show that they indeed came from abroad. Am I mistaken? It seems you might be suggesting that the bank, if prodded/advised, can prove that they were international.

Above and beyond the financials, I still need to fulfill the rest of the obligations such as photos in front of the house, witnesses, immigration visit, map to the house, etc....correct? Or since this is not my first Non-O, I don't need to do that again?

Insurance...you mean $10,000 USD of coverage....for 90 days, correct? And is the financial obligation in Saigon just 20,000 baht and not 400k? As far as you know, is getting the Non-O in Saigon now an option again? It sounds like it might be. As mentioned, my wife is not in a good way mentally and I'm not sure she will be able to go to immigration or be stable enough to host officers in the house. Is her presence required for the 60 day extension, as well, as Caldera mentioned?

Many thanks, Joe!

28 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Your wife would need to accompany you to immigration for either extension, 60 days or 1 year. How old are you? If 50+, you have other options (retirement extension) that wouldn't involve your wife. 

Hi Caldera,

Thank you for your reply. I'm 53. Are you sure she needs to be present for the 60 day? The retirement extension would require double the money. I would have to dig into my investments to put together that cash which would be unfortunate. I think I would look for other options before doing that such as Covid extension, tourist visa, or another online O visa though I'm unclear if I have to be in the US to do that. None of these options would last very long but they might buy enough time for my wife to recover her wits. I think I would give Saigon a shot, too, though I'm still sifting through that info to know if it is indeed an option.

Thank you again, Bamboozled (still).

22 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I'm 53. Are you sure she needs to be present for the 60 day? The retirement extension would require double the money. I would have to dig into my investments to put together that cash which would be unfortunate.

For any extension based on being married to a Thai, the Thai spouse needs to be present at immigration with you.

You could consider using an agent for a retirement extension without the required funds.

You've mentioned obtaining a Covid extension and that might also be a short-term option, depending on your immigration office. Some give Covid extensions to those on non-immigrant visas, others don't. 

25 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thank you for your reply. I'm 53.

Given a few difficulties that you have mentioned....

Wife's situation...

Not adequate funds in bank (you would require funds in bank method)..

I suggest that you use an agent for extension based on marriage.

You most likely also need a 60 day extension to visit wife to buy some time. 

Do you have a Thai bank in your name. 

• Like 1

totally confusing, so basically he wants an extension of stay (marriage) in Thailand but don't have the 400k, he wants to try and go to hcmc to get an (single non-o?) or (multiple non-o?), hcmc does not require you to have the 400k fund for non-o, the insurance is for you to enter Thailand because of covid they required you to have insurance

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

For any extension based on being married to a Thai, the Thai spouse needs to be present at immigration with you.

You could consider using an agent for a retirement extension without the required funds.

You've mentioned obtaining a Covid extension and that might also be a short-term option, depending on your immigration office. Some give Covid extensions to those on non-immigrant visas, others don't. 

If I were to use an agent, why would I not use one to obtain the marriage visa instead of retirement visa? I'm not sure of the cost of something like that, any input?

The Covid extension....I just saw posts about that yesterday while looking for info on Saigon consulate so it was in my head. I'm don't recall how long a stay is granted and yes, it would seem strange to have that after an O-visa but perhaps explaining the situation with my wife would help.

...and thank you!

Edited by bamboozled

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

If I were to use an agent, why would I not use one to obtain the marriage visa instead of retirement visa? I'm not sure of the cost of something like that, any input?

The Covid extension....I just saw posts about that yesterday while looking for info on Saigon consulate so it was in my head. I'm don't recall how long a stay is granted and yes, it would seem strange to have that after an O-visa but perhaps explaining the situation with my wife would help.

It all boils down to how long you wish to remain in Thailand.

As for your question regarding agent marriage vs retirement extension...every agent will direct you to retirement extension. 

It's far more simple and less costly. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

A marriage extension involves, not only the local immigration office, but also the division headquarters. As such, it is both much more work for the agent, and requires the agent to negotiate with more officials, some of them pretty senior, to get it done. Foe this reason, most agents do not want to handle marriage extensions, and those that do will charge a lot more money than they do for a retirement extension.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Given a few difficulties that you have mentioned....

Wife's situation...

Not adequate funds in bank (you would require funds in bank method)..

I suggest that you use an agent for extension based on marriage.

You most likely also need a 60 day extension to visit wife to buy some time. 

Do you have a Thai bank in your name. 

Yes, I have a bank account in my name. I went through the whole Non-O visa process about 16-18 months ago...money in the bank, photos, witness, etc... I put 400k in the bank and seasoned it for 2 months by obtaining the 60 day extension to visit wife. This was the around the time when immigration switched their financial requirements. I can't recall exactly but the requirement had been something like 2 months of transfers of 40,000k...that was all that was required. And then suddenly they stopped accepting that and wanted a full year or the 400k for two months. You probably remember. Ubon Joe intimates that perhaps my 40,000k transfers per month can be verified at the bank as international. But all this still requires my wife's presence and that is a big question mark.

Any agent recommendations and ball park costs would be appreciated.

Again, why not Saigon consulate? Is that not an option?

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, vinci said:

totally confusing, so basically he wants an extension of stay (marriage) in Thailand but don't have the 400k, he wants to try and go to hcmc to get an (single non-o?) or (multiple non-o?), hcmc does not require you to have the 400k fund for non-o, the insurance is for you to enter Thailand because of covid they required you to have insurance

What do you mean "he"? I'm right here.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Any agent recommendations and ball park costs would be appreciated.

Again, why not Saigon consulate? Is that not an option?

First up an agent for extension based on retirement would be approx 15-20k.

Pattaya closer to the 15k.

As for obtaining another non O in eg Saigon....

I have often wondered why guys that cannot place funds in bank for few months, don't just do back to back non O,s.

Somehow doubt it would fly? Perhaps once.

Edited by DrJack54

43 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Joe, I do have the transfers but they were made with Wise so I'm not sure they will cut the mustard. Going to the bank to get my printout is on my to-do list. My understanding is that if Wise sent them with the wrong code, there is nothing the bank can do to show that they indeed came from abroad. Am I mistaken? It seems you might be suggesting that the bank, if prodded/advised, can prove that they were international.

Wise can be a problem but you may be able to download the receipts for them from Wise. Immigration might accept them as proof they came from abroad. Some banks may able to do a credit advise for each transfer to prove the came from abroad. A bank statement would not show them as foreign transfers.

44 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Above and beyond the financials, I still need to fulfill the rest of the obligations such as photos in front of the house, witnesses, immigration visit, map to the house, etc....correct? Or since this is not my first Non-O, I don't need to do that again?

You will need everything mentioned for every one year extension of stay application.

45 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Insurance...you mean $10,000 USD of coverage....for 90 days, correct? And is the financial obligation in Saigon just 20,000 baht and not 400k? As far as you know, is getting the Non-O in Saigon now an option again? It sounds like it might be. As mentioned, my wife is not in a good way mentally and I'm not sure she will be able to go to immigration or be stable enough to host officers in the house. Is her presence required for the 60 day extension, as well, as Caldera mentioned?

It $10,000 covid 19 insurance to get a Thailand Pass to enter the country at this time. Thirty days of it would be enough to get the Thailand Pass.

You wife will need to be with you to apply for a 60 day extension.

• Like 1

Okay, I understand on the marriage extension by agent. It sounds onerous. A good step might be to go to immigration and explain the situation about the wife. Perhaps they'll throw me a life-line and allow me to get a doctors note about her condition and why she cannot appear at immigration. Then I can check if my bank transfers will pass muster or I can transfer the 400k.

The thing that makes obtaining visas "confusing" (and posting questions about them) is that there is a specific set of circumstances that have to happen in a certain order and if one is out of whack the whole process fails. And there is often not a one-size-fits-all scenario.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up an agent for extension based on retirement would be approx 15-20k.

Pattaya closer to the 15k.

As for obtaining another non O in eg Saigon....

I have often wondered why guys that cannot place funds in bank for few months, don't just do back to back non O,s.

Somehow doubt it would fly? Perhaps once.

Dr. Jack, I'm in Chiang Mai. That's not a horrible amount of money to pay. That requires the 800k in the bank or not necessary? What would change for me going from a Non-O marriage to the retirement?

I don't quite follow your comment on Saigon. Before Covid, more or less, I went to Savannakhet or Saigon to get my Non-O. I did not at that time have 400k to put into an account and I found it very simple with no worry about extensive documents or financials or TM30s or home visits plus it was a neat little trip. Being in CM, going to Mae Sai and crossing the border every 90 days was easy enough. I was happy with this for many years but Covid nixed that for me and many others. If things are up and flying again, I assume guys will go back to doing that type of Non-O, unless the rules have changed. But it doesn't appear they have though I don't have clarification about "adequate finances" and, of course, even though the visa is granted one could still be refused entry at the border.

29 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

The thing that makes obtaining visas "confusing" (and posting questions about them) is that there is a specific set of circumstances that have to happen in a certain order and if one is out of whack the whole process fails.

I think it's more easy than you are thinking.

Clearly money in bank is more simple. 

The 400k would need to have been in bank for 2 months prior to day of applying for extension.

It would remain there for under consideration period. So approx 3 months all up.

After that you can use it.

I understand difficulty with regards wife, however she only needs attend immigration.

There can be home visit during the under consideration period.

If that's all too much I suggest you do extension based on retirement.

If the financials cannot be satisfied use an agent for extension retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Dr. Jack, I'm in Chiang Mai. That's not a horrible amount of money to pay. That requires the 800k in the bank or not necessary? What would change for me going from a Non-O marriage to the retirement?

I don't quite follow your comment on Saigon. Before Covid, more or less, I went to Savannakhet or Saigon to get my Non-O. I did not at that time have 400k to put into an account and I found it very simple with no worry about extensive documents or financials or TM30s or home visits plus it was a neat little trip. Being in CM, going to Mae Sai and crossing the border every 90 days was easy enough. I was happy with this for many years but Covid nixed that for me and many others. If things are up and flying again, I assume guys will go back to doing that type of Non-O, unless the rules have changed. But it doesn't appear they have though I don't have clarification about "adequate finances" and, of course, even though the visa is granted one could still be refused entry at the border.

Best keep eye on the ball.

Either a non O visa that gives a 90 day permission of stay then followed by 12 month extension.

OR a ME (multi entry) non O that is valid for 12 months and allows 90 days per entry.

Previously Savannakhet was popular to obtain these.

Not sure if Savannakhet or Saigon are doing these at this time. I know Phnom Penh is only single entry non O.

No offense but it's not clear what you are looking for.

An extension to your  non O or a ME non O marriage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Wise can be a problem but you may be able to download the receipts for them from Wise. Immigration might accept them as proof they came from abroad. Some banks may able to do a credit advise for each transfer to prove the came from abroad. A bank statement would not show them as foreign transfers.

You will need everything mentioned for every one year extension of stay application.

It $10,000 covid 19 insurance to get a Thailand Pass to enter the country at this time. Thirty days of it would be enough to get the Thailand Pass.

You wife will need to be with you to apply for a 60 day extension.

The Saigon consulate website mentions health insurance covering the period of stay which would be 90 days. True, when I got my last Thailand Pass, the insurance agent advised I only needed 30 days of insurance even though the period of stay was 90 days and indeed I didn't have a problem.

Do you have any input on what the Saigon consulate wants to see for "adequate finances"? I think (hope) they mean 20,000 baht such as was the case for the online visa I recently obtained (thanks to your advice). Maybe I'm silly or stupid but I find the idea of going to Saigon for the visa (or Savannakhet but that consulate is closed), if it is more or less as simple as pre-covid, more appealing and straightforward than dealing with immigration here with the wife out of commission. She is in the hospital and I don't know when she will get out, in what condition she will be in mentally, nor can I speak with her. My visa is up in 3 weeks. True story. <deleted> happens.

Thank you, Bam

he wants extension but no fund, covid extension but wife can't attend, going outside Thailand for a non-o quick-fix

Do you have any input on what the Saigon consulate wants to see for "adequate finances"? I think (hope) they mean 20,000 baht such as was the case for the online visa I recently obtained (thanks to your advice).

Saigon or Savannakhet does not need to see adequate finances for non-o

what you see is $20,000usd insurance cover to enter Thailand, Thailand require you to have insurance to enter the country

honestly just go try covid extension without the wife and see doesn't hurt to try, rather then go through all the trouble

Edited by vinci

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Best keep eye on the ball.

Either a non O visa that gives a 90 day permission of stay then followed by 12 month extension.

OR a ME (multi entry) non O that is valid for 12 months and allows 90 days per entry.

Previously Savannakhet was popular to obtain these.

Not sure if Savannakhet or Saigon are doing these at this time. I know Phnom Penh is only single entry non O.

Sorry for that, I don't really differentiate between the two as they both give you a year of stay (15 months for the ME). Either one will work for me. I'm just looking for the path of least resistance. I am more used to the ME entry. For many years, I had a ME B visa....and then once married, I would get the ME O visa based on marriage. I never had a problem with documents and the process was always straightforward. I have only done the extension/permission to stay once and found the process more frustrating and uncertain than a trip to Saigon or Savannakhet. The Saigon website seems to indicate they are still issuing them and the visa form is the same. Of course, there is only one way to be sure which is to go there and try.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 10.21.54 AM.png

extension of stay gave you one year stay in Thailand, you do not have to leave Thailand and must do 90 days report in Thailand

multiple non-o visa from outside Thailand gave you each stay of 90 days each, once 90 days is up you must leave Thailand and re-entry again to activate your next 90 days until your visa expired

there's a different between those two

2 minutes ago, vinci said:

multiple non-o visa from outside Thailand gave you each stay of 90 days each, once 90 days is up you must leave Thailand and re-entry again to activate your next 90 days until your visa expired

Yes each entry provides 90 days.

Added note: for each entry can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife. 

12 minutes ago, vinci said:

he wants extension but no fund, covid extension but wife can't attend, going outside Thailand for a non-o quick-fix

Saigon or Savannakhet does not need to see adequate finances for non-o

what you see is $20,000usd insurance cover to enter Thailand, Thailand require you to have insurance to enter the country

honestly just go try covid extension without the wife and see doesn't hurt to try, rather then go through all the trouble

You may be right on the covid extension as the best route to buy time. I don't think my wife needs to be there for that as it has nothing to do with marriage.

The Saigon website mentions you need to show adequate finances....first line at top of screenshot. I have gotten a Non-O there in the past without showing any financial statement and in Savannakhet a few times, too. I'm not sure if this is a new requirement and if so what exactly is the requirement or if this was always there but the immigration officers didn't check.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 10.21.54 AM.png

23 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

. I never had a problem with documents and the process was always straightforward

Indeed the 12 month ME marriage you previously obtained was very popular.

It would be my go to visa if I was married.

Seems you have a non O that requires an extension as previously discussed.

Your option is to obtain the extension OR..

get a 60 day extension to buy time in the hope that ME marriage available by then in nearby country.

I haven't read report of anyone obtaining ME recently.

OR....

Finally use agent for extension retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I understand the difference between the two. My point is, that small difference doesn't matter much to me perhaps because the fundamental element is the same: that I can stay for a year. They both require something to be done every 90 days. Border run to Mae Sai is no problem and a fun excuse for a trip. Hmm, of course, with Covid that border bounce is not going to be so easy unless things loosen up a lot more. I hadn't thought of that issue! Ugh.....that makes a case for the extension route either marriage or retirement.

Agent recommendation in Chiang Mai?

I believed that part was for insurance.

if they were talking about show adequate finances for non-o, so what is the amount adequate for finances, no amount $$ show, it can be $1 up $1,000,000?? nobody know what's adequate finances amount.

but like jack said is it even open to get a non-o visa at the moment