Interpreting the Royal Thai Consulate Saigon website about non-O visa..

I'm under the impression adequate finances is 20,000 baht. I think that's what Ubon Joe said was necessary for the O-visa I recently obtained online (90 day validity) and isn't 20,000 baht also the requirement for a tourist visa? I could try calling the consulate or writing them to find out. This was in my US bank account. I could transfer the 400k if really needed. It would be somewhat inconvenient right now and a bit of a mental block but it's not impossible. Tying it up for 3 months is also inconvenient but not impossible.

Yes, I don't know if it's open but I haven't seen anything showing that it isn't. The issue before was the border crossing and though that is still more difficult than previously, I don't think it's still impossible. Here are the current regulations to enter VT:

"In light of the recent COVID-19 outbreak, Vietnam has imposed several travel restrictions on those entering the country. As of April 27, 2022, Vietnam had confirmed 10,620,203 cases of COVID-19 with 43,029 deaths, though 9,116,225 of the patients, had recovered.

Those planning to travel to Vietnam should be aware of the latest restrictions currently in place:

• Ho Chi Minh City’s health department has stated that people arriving at Ho Chi Minh City’s Tan Son Nhat International terminal will no longer need to prove their COVID-19 status from May 2. The decision was made as passengers are required to present a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding, therefore the requirement to check once arriving in Ho Chi Minh City was not needed and will help ease congestion. Authorities also plan to scrap health declarations for domestic travel soon.
  • Vietnam’s Ministry of Health on March 15 released COVID-19 entry procedures for foreign arrivals as per Official Letter No 1265/BYT-DP. As per the Document, foreign arrivals are required to:
    • Take a COVID-19 negative test using the RT-PCR method 72 hours before entering Vietnam OR a rapid Antigen test (no self-test) 24 hours before entering Vietnam. This does not apply to children under 2 years of age;
    • Make a health declaration (screenshot at end of article) before entry and download the PC-COVID app; and
    • In case a COVID-19 test is not taken prior to departure, a test will be taken within 24 hours after arriving in Vietnam. If negative, travelers can travel anywhere within Vietnam; no quarantine required.
  • Tourists entering Vietnam should also have medical or travel insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment with a minimum liability of US$10,000.
  • The e-visa government website link is now open for visa submissions."

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Thirty days of it would be enough to get the Thailand Pass.

What about if the visa application lists this type of insurance for the duration of the visa?  Still 30 days?  Or would you need the full 90 to match the visa?

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Insurance...you mean $10,000 USD of coverage....for 90 days, correct? And is the financial obligation in Saigon just 20,000 baht and not 400k? As far as you know, is getting the Non-O in Saigon now an option again? It sounds like it might be.

It is $10,000 US for the cofic 19 insurance now to get the Thailand Pass needed for entry to the country. You would only need 30 days of insurance. Immigration does not check for the insurance.

The consulate in Ho Chi Minh City only requires the standard 20,000 baht needed for a visa application.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What about if the visa application lists this type of insurance for the duration of the visa?  Still 30 days?  Or would you need the full 90 to match the visa?

The info about insurance is not for the visa. It is just info to inform people what is required for entry to the country and that is what is required to get the Thailand pass. You would only need 30 days to get it.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The info about insurance is not for the visa. It is just info to inform people what is required for entry to the country and that is what is required to get the Thailand pass. You would only need 30 days to get it.

Are you positive on that, Joe? The insurance requirement is posted under the visa guidelines on the HCMC site. It doesn't mention Thailand Pass. In the end, it might amount to the same thing at this date and time since for Thailand Pass you need the insurance. If they drop Thailand Pass and the insurance and they don't take out that wording from the visa requirements....anybodies guess. I'm not trying to be difficult, just thorough!

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 11.52.28 AM.png

4 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I sent an inquiry to the HCMC consulate about feasibility of getting the ME Non-O. Maybe will get a response.....

If you obtain a reply, please post it.

Have seen couple of reports of single entry non O from Phnom Penh but have not seen a report of ME non O marriage from places such as Saigon, Savannakhet etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It's under 2.6 on the list of documents required for the visa:

367251915_ScreenShot2022-05-03at10_21_54AM.png.a9446c41fa52e0e4a5cc8eafbbca861d.png

Edited by BangkokReady

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you obtain a reply, please post it.

Have seen couple of reports of single entry non O from Phnom Penh but have not seen a report of ME non O marriage from places such as Saigon, Savannakhet etc.

Goog shows the Savannakhet consulate "temporarily closed".

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Think you can cross the ME Non O marriage from your list of options.

Why? HCMC is open....so it seems, at least. Savannakhet is tiny, of course. Not surprised it's closed. Saigon, not so tiny.

16 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Why? HCMC is open....so it seems, at least. Savannakhet is tiny, of course. Not surprised it's closed. Saigon, not so tiny.

Perhaps you could start a thread..

"Has anyone obtained a multi entry non O based on marriage recently from Laos or Vietnam"

I haven't read ONE report.

As stated earlier non O single entry...yes from PP and would imagine also Saigon is available.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's under 2.6 on the list of documents required for the visa:

They will not be asking for that proof when you apply for a visa. It is only needed for the Thailand Pass.

It is also out of date for the amount of insurance needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

I sent an inquiry to the HCMC consulate about feasibility of getting the ME Non-O. Maybe will get a response.....

Hopefully so.

In Feb. I was able to get someone in the Hanoi Embassy on the phone, but the HCM Consulate never answered after several attempts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Were they helpful?

Yes and No.

Yes - He was helpful as far as giving me some info I was after.

No - I posted what I was told here, and the resident experts agreed his info was false.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Do you have any input on what the Saigon consulate wants to see for "adequate finances"

The problem is that you are asking something that the people that are posting do not know.

It was very easy before the pandemic to get a visa in HCM but then we had the pandemic and I doubt there is anyone on the forum that has been to HCM since Vietnam reopened to say what they actually do require.

You should also bear in mind there is also a similar insurance requirement required to enter Vietnam.

Best bet is to talk to an agent.

Thanks for your input, Sandy. Ubon Joe mentioned 20,000k which is what I suspected. How would I know that nobody knows the answers without asking the questions? Somebody will be the first to do it and may be there right now....that's why I ask. It certainly won't hurt to talk with an agent, that is true. I've never gone that route so it feels a bit....peculiar.

Good point about insurance to enter Vietnam. I hadn't thought of that. It probably would turn into a pretty expensive little trip in the end.

In Pattay, the retirement extension by agent fee is 15K for Non-O or Non-OA extension. No paper works needed. No TM 30 or 90-day reporting. No money in th bank, And No insurance for Non-OA. All those people who predicted gloom and doom and agent fees going up to more than 30-40K when insurance was introduced in 2019 were proven wrong. Agent fees have remained same. Not sure now due to inflation if it has gone up or not. I always feel the agent fees are the best money spent in Thailand because the process is so relaxing as it meant to be and money well spent. Of course, it also depends on the competition among agents. Pattaya has lots of options compared to some place out in the boonies. 

I lived in Thailand for two years using agents and prior to that I used to get O-A visa from USA when there was no insurance requirements as I already have my own high deductible insurance from United Health. Recently I found out insurance requirements have changed and now they are asking for 100K USD insurance (3.5 million BHT) and there is no separate OP and IP requirements any more. 

My suggestion for the OP Is to contact an agent if he is willing to pay agent fees to get a retirement extension. Again not sure his location and how much agents do charge in his location if available at all. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

In Pattay, the retirement extension by agent fee is 15K for Non-O or Non-OA extension. No paper works needed. No TM 30 or 90-day reporting. No money in th bank, And No insurance for Non-OA. All those people who predicted gloom and doom and agent fees going up to more than 30-40K when insurance was introduced in 2019 were proven wrong. Agent fees have remained same. Not sure now due to inflation if it has gone up or not. I always feel the agent fees are the best money spent in Thailand because the process is so relaxing as it meant to be and money well spent. Of course, it also depends on the competition among agents. Pattaya has lots of options compared to some place out in the boonies. 

I lived in Thailand for two years using agents and prior to that I used to get O-A visa from USA when there was no insurance requirements as I already have my own high deductible insurance from United Health. Recently I found out insurance requirements have changed and now they are asking for 100K USD insurance (3.5 million BHT) and there is no separate OP and IP requirements any more. 

My suggestion for the OP Is to contact an agent if he is willing to pay agent fees to get a retirement extension. Again not sure his location and how much agents do charge in his location if available at all. 

Gee, that all sounds so wonderful and easy and not really expensive. I'm in Chiang Mai. The agent that was popular via a previous thread is also reported to be a bit expensive though I don't have a figure.. What's to prevent me from doing this in Pattaya? I have some homework to do re-agents and also about my transfers...if they will be valid or not. I'll keep the thread going with new info. Thank you very much!

OP, just a quick read through a selection of posts seems to indicate some confusion regarding which extensions and visa types you are asking about. Depending on the type of visa and extension - there are differences as to what is required.

When you state that you don't think the requirement for a financial statement showing adequate finances was there before, are you thinking about the requirements for a Multi Entry Non O (MENO) visa based on marriage?  I'm not sure if that requirement was on the consulate's website previously or not but for a MENO, they certainly didn't used to be physically asked for at the time of application. Ho Chi Minh was (is) regarded as one of the easier places to obtain a MENO without much supporting documentation.

A 12 month MENO based on marriage gives you multiple 90 day stays in any 12 month period after which you must leave the country but you can immediately return and thereby start another 90 day stay.  A Single Entry Non O (SENO) gives you just that - a single 90 day entry. However, you can extend the stay on either of those visas in 2 ways:

1. A 60 day extension with very little documentation - certainly no financial requirements and no reporting.

or:

2. A 12 month extension which requires either 40,000 baht income from outside Thailand or 400,000 in the bank/40,000 baht income earned within Thailand if you have a work permit. You need to report every 90 days and there are also several other requirements for this type of extension.

Where they say, under Period of Stay, that the stay may be extended for 12 months - they are talking about an extension as per 2 above.  However, even though they talk about the stay being for a single entry, you will note that they give the prices for both single and multi entries.

The consulate itself is creating confusion by mixing the 2 types of visa MENO & SENO. I'm not sure whether that's because they have made changes and are not actually issuing MENO's now or not but I'm pretty sure that the website didn't actually refer to MENO's when I obtained my last one in March 2020 - they clearly did. I seem to remember that I phoned them (or e-mailed) to ask if they did multis.

At that time all I needed was my marriage certificate, registration and a letter from my wife asking that I be granted the visa in order to visit her (and of course the grossly inflated visa fee of $200).

Its early days just now and we won't know if Ho Chi Minh is still offering MENOS until someone tries and reports back.

I'm pretty sure the insurance they are requiring is for Covid 19.

Edited by KhaoYai

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

OP, just a quick read through a selection of posts seems to indicate some confusion regarding which extensions and visa types you are asking about. Depending on the type of visa and extension - there are differences as to what is required.

When you state that you don't think the requirement for a financial statement showing adequate finances was there before, are you thinking about the requirements for a Multi Entry Non O (MENO) visa based on marriage?  I'm not sure if that requirement was on the consulate's website previously or not but for a MENO, they certainly didn't used to be physically asked for at the time of application. Ho Chi Minh was (is) regarded as one of the easier places to obtain a MENO without much supporting documentation.

A 12 month MENO based on marriage gives you multiple 90 day stays in any 12 month period after which you must leave the country but you can immediately return and thereby start another 90 day stay.  A Single Entry Non O (SENO) gives you just that - a single 90 day entry. However, you can extend the stay on either of those visas in 2 ways:

1. A 60 day extension with very little documentation - certainly no financial requirements and no reporting.

or:

2. A 12 month extension which requires either 40,000 baht income from outside Thailand or 400,000 in the bank/40,000 baht income earned within Thailand if you have a work permit. You need to report every 90 days and there are also several other requirements for this type of extension.

Where they say, under Period of Stay, that the stay may be extended for 12 months - they are talking about an extension as per 2 above.  However, even though they talk about the stay being for a single entry, you will note that they give the prices for both single and multi entries.

The consulate itself is creating confusion by mixing the 2 types of visa MENO & SENO. I'm not sure whether that's because they have made changes and are not actually issuing MENO's now or not but I'm pretty sure that the website didn't actually refer to MENO's when I obtained my last one in March 2020 - they clearly did. I seem to remember that I phoned them (or e-mailed) to ask if they did multis.

At that time all I needed was my marriage certificate, registration and a letter from my wife asking that I be granted the visa in order to visit her (and of course the grossly inflated visa fee of $200).

Its early days just now and we won't know if Ho Chi Minh is still offering MENOS until someone tries and reports back.

I'm pretty sure the insurance they are requiring is for Covid 19.

Hi Khao Yai,

Thanks very much for your long and detailed response. That took a lot of time, I'm sure! I have had all of the above mentioned visas at one time or another. The confusion is in some of the details which you touch on and which no one seems to know the answer to but can make or break getting the visa. Case in point: can I get a ME, 1-year, Non-O in HCMC with no financials? We're not sure. And I don't know if that bit about showing "adequate financials" was on there before, or not. I know I didn't show anything when getting a previous ME Non-O.

For the extension here in Thailand, I have been transferring 40k every month. The issue is whether immigration will accept the Wise transfers. I have to speak with my bank about that today. The other problem is my wife is unavailable currently to see through a Non-O here in Chiang Mai (or 60 day extension) with me and I'm not sure she will be back in action in the 3 week window I have until my visa expires. That's why I was thinking of going to HCMC.

My newest thought after sleeping on it last night is to look into a Covid extension which I believe they are still granting. That would give me 3 months and hopefully my wife would be in a better position to see through the Non-O with me and/or we would have new info about feasibility of a ME in HCMC.

8 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Case in point: can I get a ME, 1-year, Non-O in HCMC with no financials?

Or indeed, is the MENO still available in HCMC?  The only reference to one in the text you supplied is the fee.

The only way to know is to contact them, wait for reports or give it a go. I'm expecting to be stopped and warned when I enter again in June as I won't have a MENO.  I was warned a few years back as visiting a wife is not considered tourism and they therefore consider that someone entering for that  purpose should not use a 30 day exempt. I got a new MENO for my next visit.  It can be a lottery though - it depends on the I.O. you get on entry.

I've had several entry problems over the years and been given different information but never actually been turned away. A few years ago following a spate of reports on refused entries, I went to the immigration desk at Suvarnabhumi and asked if I was at risk of that happening.  An officer went through my passport and told me I'd be fine as I was normally out of the country for 8 weeks - what they were looking for was visa runners of people doing more or less back to back exempts. I think it was the very next entry or thereabouts, I was stopped and told to get a MENO!

When the Thai embassy in London did MENO's their website stated that they required financials but verbally they told me that they didn't require them for those applying on the basis of marriage to a Thai citizen.  I never provided them with financials yet I know of one guy who was refused because he didn't provide them.  They all seem to do what they want and it seems to change over time/depending on the I.O. who knows whats actually required?

The number of embassies/consulates that offer MENO's seems to be slowly reducing and those that go over to E-Visa are out of the question - if you intend staying in Thailand I'd sort out your banking issues and go for 12 month extensions. As I don't do that, I can't advise but I'm sure I've read that other members here have managed to get the 'Wise' transfers issue sorted. Others can advise you on that but surely a letter from the bank will do?

• Like 1

I don't think there was ever anything more detailed on the website about multiple-entry Non-O. And to the point, what more would they need to explain? It's pretty straight forward, you pay...unless they verbally tell you it's not available. I don't think they would take $200 and then give you a single entry. Someone soon will give it a try, I'm sure, and hopefully we'll hear about it.

I've spoken with someone who schooled me on how to get the Wise transfers validated so I will be doing that. In the meantime, I think I will inquire about getting a 60 day Covid extension since my wife is unable to attend immigration with me for the next few weeks as she's in the hospital. Her presence is required to get the Non-O extension.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I don't think there was ever anything more detailed on the website about multiple-entry Non-O. And to the point, what more would they need to explain? It's pretty straight forward, you pay...unless they verbally tell you it's not available. I don't think they would take $200 and then give you a single entry. Someone soon will give it a try, I'm sure, and hopefully we'll hear about it.

I've spoken with someone who schooled me on how to get the Wise transfers validated so I will be doing that. In the meantime, I think I will inquire about getting a 60 day Covid extension since my wife is unable to attend immigration with me for the next few weeks as she's in the hospital. Her presence is required to get the Non-O extension.

Yes, hopefully in the next few weeks people will start reporting on HCMC and Savannakhet - I certainly hope so because I'm expecting a warning again in June which will mean that I'll have to have a visa for the following trip.  I was a bit 'iffy' on my last entry as the I.O. said nothing but spent a while looking at all the stamps and visas.

On the subject of a 60 day extension - have you talked to immigration?  There are some helpful offices/officers, there may be some way that they'll accept a statement from your wife - @ubonjoe may well be able to advise on that.  I thought Covid extensions had finished?

52 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes, hopefully in the next few weeks people will start reporting on HCMC and Savannakhet - I certainly hope so because I'm expecting a warning again in June which will mean that I'll have to have a visa for the following trip.  I was a bit 'iffy' on my last entry as the I.O. said nothing but spent a while looking at all the stamps and visas.

On the subject of a 60 day extension - have you talked to immigration?  There are some helpful offices/officers, there may be some way that they'll accept a statement from your wife - @ubonjoe may well be able to advise on that.  I thought Covid extensions had finished?

I did go to immigration and was told I cannot get the Covid extension but could get the 60 day extension without my wife being there. I hope he's right about that and another officer doesn't come in at the last minute and say no...

9 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I did go to immigration and was told I cannot get the Covid extension but could get the 60 day extension without my wife being there. I hope he's right about that and another officer doesn't come in at the last minute and say no...

You should have got that in writing ????.