Have we broken the back of the pandemic in Thailand? Numbers down though NE remains high

webfact

14 hours ago, law ling said:

To answer the question posed in the headline: I'd need to know the total number of tests performed per day ... in addition to the number of new infections.

I don't care what BS the Thai government says, population of nearly 70 million compare that with Australias 25.6 million and Mebourne was the most locked down city in the world

long read if you interestet

https://covidlive.com.au/

9 hours ago, Almer said:

I am 72 just over (almost) Omicron. I am a fit 72 but it knocked me for 6, in the village there are many many many walking about either coughing sweating or a job to put one foot in front of the other,

Anutin should visit the sticks to get a better angle in the situation

My Thai family (ex) they are all infected none is vaccinated all in there 60this MIL is 80

only my nephew had 3 shots because he is in uni and has to work in hospital some times every other member of the family got brain washed by anti vaccers who told them thousands of people died from the vaccine. Yes I am turning 75 in July had my 3 shots never had any side affects at all and had my flu shot at the same time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I don't care what BS the Thai government says, population of nearly 70 million compare that with Australias 25.6 million and Mebourne was the most locked down city in the world

long read if you interestet

https://covidlive.com.au/

More-so than say Shanghai, or Wuhan?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, cases lately are way down in the UK, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people are still dying of COVID every day in the UK right now -- more than 200 per day lately...and about triple the current number in Thailand for countries of approx. the same population.

Yes, but these people (average age 80+) are mostly dying with Covid from complications attributed to basically old age. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/averageageofthosewhohaddiedwithcovid19

UK Govt stats.jpg

• Like 2

As many of you have already pointed out, there's the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants from South Africa that can supposedly evade immunity and cause symptoms in people who were infected with their parent strain just months ago. Yes, I do believe that Thailand might have broken the back of this current Omicron wave. However, there will be more subvariants coming along that will test Thailand's resolve. I just hope the country learns to live with the virus like many other countries are doing right now.

Of course, South Africa now has the first of the new subvariants, having skipped the Omicron BA.2 wave — though the new subvariants (BA.4 and BA.5) are unlikely to do much more than create a new wave (or ripple) of mostly sniffles. 

Also, I cannot for the life of me understand the furore that has arisen from some of you claiming England has had a recent spike in deaths from the BA.2 strain. Deaths in England never breached 250 a day in April, similar to levels seen in bad flu seasons. I should also point out that hospital admissions peaked at just over 2,000 — half of the peak in January 2021 — and more than half were likely admitted for a different illness and tested positive incidentally. And again, hospital admissions have dropped for the 22nd day in a row here in the UK. So let's put things into perspective, people.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 2:51 AM, Bowring said:

New variants already picking up in the West, more contagious and with heavier symptoms, similar to the original CoVid,  Sadly cases of people with 3 vaccine shots getting it.

Coming to Thailand soon, courtesy of the free for all entry policy

@Bowring  cheery old soul

• Like 1

Speaking of media, there is a doc you series (nine episodes) playing now that addresses the last two years in terms of various aspects of health, including topics referenced by people here.  Other contexts besides health are also discussed. If you’re interested I’m happy to share.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harveyg said:

Speaking of media, there is a doc you series (nine episodes) playing now that addresses the last two years in terms of various aspects of health, including topics referenced by people here.  Other contexts besides health are also discussed. If you’re interested I’m happy to share.

Yes. Title, please. YouTube, torrent?