Bangkok Prepares for Shift to Endemic Phase

webfact

screenshot_17668.jpg

BANGKOK, May 3 (TNA) – Bangkok is working out plans for the transition to an endemic status as the Covid-19 situation has improved.

Permanent-secretary for public health Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit on Monday met Panruedee Manomaipibul, director of the city health department to discuss an endemic approach for the capital.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The country’s Covid-19 situation has improved and the numbers of new cases, severe cases and fatalities have declined continuously.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-934942

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

I know plenty of people who have had covid recently. 

Some report it and the government (MoPH) does follow up calls and sends a car package (which has a few small items in, thermometer, O2 meter, favipiravir (if showing symptoms). 

But, most just don’t bother, they stay at home and wait it out.

--------

For now at least, for the vast majority of people catching Covid is the same as catching a cold, a very contagious cold.

The concern is obviously those with pre-existing respiratory illnesses and in other high-risk groups - I hope for their sake once everyone catches or has caught Covid-19 that it simply no longer a problem and becomes seasonal like flu and regular household colds. 

I hope the vaccines can develop to protect those who need protection the most as most of us do not but there are still people out there who are at serious risk. 

• Like 1

Since most people use a rapid test and don't report their positive result to the government, the number of positive cases is no longer relevant nor accurate. There were 44 positive PCRs and 79 positive ATKs reported for May 2 in Phuket.

I do tend to trust the reported number of red and yellow cases in hospitals. On May 2, Phuket reported 10 red (in ICU) and 83 yellow cases on the island (out of a population of about 400,000). From a high of about 20 red cases a few weeks ago, those numbers have continued to gradually go down. It's unclear if they are hospitalized due to Covid or if they were hospitalized and found to also have Covid. 

It would be interesting to know the number people pre-Covid who were in ICU due to  pneumonia or during flu season. I suspect it might be a similar number.