Ceiling fan remote control installation Queries

jojothai

I have two ceiling fans with lights and want to fit remote controls.
I bought one a while ago and will use it, suitable for AC 220V 50 Hz.
Needed another and bought from Lazada.
Opened packaging and looking at details it says rating ac 110 - 120v, 60 Hz.
I queried this with the seller saying its not suitable in Thailand.

They say it should be ok.
I don't know for sure and my main concerns are:
- Even if it works, is it potentially dangerous for fear of fire or other electrical problem
- Could it damage the fan (which is more expensive)
- Could it possibly cause tripping of breakers.

I have taken down the first fan and figured out the wiring and connections. It had a wall switch before. I have removed the parts for that. 
I find the fan unit had the two incoming live and neutral, but the fan unit has 4 wires not three as shown in remote installation.

There is the white common neutral, black fan live and blue light live, but then an extra wire red that has an electrical symbol.
I don't know what this is. See picture attached bottom right. symbol is on a tag attached to the wire.1731487269_electricalsymbolonfanwiring06may.JPG.c8446bd25dd0f1e9d567957b6c557ab2.JPG
Grateful if somebody can clarify.
I assume that I connect the normal three wires as per instructions for the remote control.

then also connect the red to the incoming live. That's how it was on the previous wiring.

Edited by jojothai
correction

The red wire is connected to the symbol for a capacitor.  

Does the remote switch have separate selection for the fan versus the light?  If not, you will be stuck with turning both on/off at the same time.  Or, the remote for one and normal switch for the other.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

The red wire is connected to the symbol for a capacitor.  

Does the remote switch have separate selection for the fan versus the light?  If not, you will be stuck with turning both on/off at the same time.  Or, the remote for one and normal switch for the other.

The existing remote wall switch did not have control for the light, so it can only be on when the fan was on. I need to be able to switch the light on and off. Too difficult to add an extra wire and light switch. A new remote that has controls for both fan and light considered the easiest solution.
This morning I refitted one existing with the remote I had 220 v ac 60 Hz. Connected the extra red to live input matching the previous set up. Works ok. Good.

Now i have to decide if i use the newer 110 v remote control on the other fan.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

Yah, a photo of the switch and any diagrams will help.

The wiring diagram does not tell us anything related to problem of 100/110 v vs 220.
Both types of remote have the same instructions similar to what is on line.
Problem is that the new remote clearly states and is labelled use for 100-110 v.
I understand the Hz will not be a problem

The actual controller piece inscription is 50 Hz/ 60Hz.
FYI, see picture of the new controller and instructions.

Somebody with appropriate electrical knowledge should be able to confirm if using the 110-120 on a 220 v supply is a problem. Its only a remote controller, but maybe controlling the speed options is the problem because they may be misinterpreted because of the voltage difference.                                                               

20220506_163806.jpg

I have a number of smart fan switches that look identical to this. They work on RF or on WiFi via an app. The white is an aerial for the RF controller. White and black are 220v power. Blue runs the light switch.

1 minute ago, MAF666 said:

I have a number of smart fan switches that look identical to this. They work on RF or on WiFi via an app. The white is an aerial for the RF controller. White and black are 220v power. Blue runs the light switch.

Hi MAF666, thanks
As  understand it they are all very similar, if not identical.
On the diagrams I see the white is normally the common neutral (for fan and light).

And the aerial color is not specified, however mine are black.

17 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Somebody with appropriate electrical knowledge should be able to confirm if using the 110-120 on a 220 v supply is a problem.

It is only a problem if you want to keep the magic smoke from escaping and want the device to actually function, as a piece of wall art it’s ok, as an electronic device it’s a door stop

9 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

The white is an aerial for the RF controller.

5 minutes ago, jojothai said:

And the aerial color is not specified, however mine are black.

The picture of the unit a couple of posts up shows the white wire is atually labelled "Antenna" if you look closely.

1 minute ago, treetops said:

The picture of the unit a couple of posts up shows the white wire is atually labelled "Antenna" if you look closely.

Yes, you are correct. the unit has a white wire antenna.

My mistake, I took the picture of the new unit quickly earlier to post. I had not checked all colors.
The instructions had not stated the color of the antenna. However the neutral is white.
The unit I already have and installed today the antenna was black.