Hua Hin: It’s time to put the sleepy narrative to bed

43 minutes ago, leither69 said:

There's been a ring road for years, it's called the bypass. Starts before Cha Am and finishes at Pranburi. 

Yes, but you'd never know it....!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Well, Phetkassem Road is certainly not "sleepy". 

If they are going to improve "infrastructure" (as the article says), the best thing for HH would be a Ring Road, a road to take from the city centre the mad stream of endless insane traffic that afflicts the city.

To be able to cross this dangerous road in something like peace and tranquility would make HH more "sleepy" AND more vibrant!!

HH is a bit like my home town in the UK, which has a main road right through the middle (been waiting for a bypass road for 50 years).

• Like 1

To right! I heard it was hotbed of raucous behaviour. Why ... I believe they have a serious problem on Friday and Saturday nights with anti-social truss wearing octogenarians dropping wheel stands and doughnuts on their mobility scooters!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nickmondo said:

i dont agree

i have lived here for ages, and for sure, its mainly sleepy here

yes, there are some attractions here...........but not that many

unless you just want to go to bars of course.

I find the north of Thailand much more interesting and more places to see and enjoy, especially the lovely nature up north

So why are you living in HH for years,when you prefer Northern Thailand? ????

• Haha 1

Can't think of a reason to holiday or even overnight in HH.  

Only for R&R, if the type that enjoys hanging out at the hotel, with a pool, and simply looking at the beach & sunrises.  Which there are better location for doing that in Thailand.

HH good for a pit stop if needed when going further North or South.

Edited by Jotnar
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, blazes said:

Well, Phetkassem Road is certainly not "sleepy". 

If they are going to improve "infrastructure" (as the article says), the best thing for HH would be a Ring Road, a road to take from the city centre the mad stream of endless insane traffic that afflicts the city.

To be able to cross this dangerous road in something like peace and tranquility would make HH more "sleepy" AND more vibrant!!

Do you not consider the R37 as a ring road?? bit further than you like to venture? Surely this is an example of the parochial nature of expats in Hua Hin

Edited by Thunglom

I would say the OP has missed the point. A false premise - I've always considered Hua Hin as one of the BLANDEST resort towns in Thailand. That he refers to it as "sleepy", I think  rather reflects his expectations more than the character of the town itself.

• Haha 1

I notice that none of those supporting Hua Hin have mentioned anything outside the town t all.... it seems that never venture vey far beyond city limits - even the "by-pass is too far?

In fact the region around Hua hin is fantastic but the local expats seem unaware of that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Do you not consider the R37 as a ring road??

No, that's a whole area by-pass, not something for local to avoid Phetkasem's congestion.  There's the road running along the RR line, and helps a bit, but rush hour & weekends, just as bad.  HH isn't that large, long or deep, to benefit the drive over to 37, and then drive back to 4.  Time & kms needed, you might as well just sit in the traffic.

With many of the 'inter-province' roads, that term being a stretch, with all the intersection on them, 37, 4, 2, 1, 11, 31, 41.   If bypassing HH, then yea, 37 is much better 4, but if using to avoid 4's congestion, don't bother.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

I notice that none of those supporting Hua Hin have mentioned anything outside the town t all.... it seems that never venture vey far beyond city limits - even the "by-pass is too far?

In fact the region around Hua hin is fantastic but the local expats seem unaware of that.

Agree, if having your own transport, it's OK, as base, to explore the west & south of.  I've done that occasionally, though actually enjoy simply staying where one would explore to, from HH instead the need to return.

If going to Kaeng Krackan, then simple stay there, instead of day trip.  Then when done there, hit the Pa La-U, and again, simply overnight there.  Same if heading down to Pranburi, SRY, or Kuiburi area, simply stay there and avoid need to return to HH.

Don't see any advantage to basing oneself at HH, aside from more food option.  If heading to the nearby areas for the nature, then enjoy it overnight, as the sound of the forest are worth it, vs the sounds of traffic.  Catch some nice sunsets also, lakeside as it dips behind the hills.

Edited by Jotnar
  • Like 1

Having lived in Hua Hin now for some 8 years the town has changed considerably, some things for the better and some things not so good.  From a personal perspective  I have been fairly satisfied with my retirement lifestyle here. The downside being the quality of roads infrastructure within the municipality and the town water are the main downfall in my view.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Not for me.  B grade ocean.

You're being very generous.   If ear infection due to fecal count is extremely possible, then it's F grade.  I would not swim at HH beach, if so, definitely would keep head out of the water.

• Thanks 2