Red cell magnesium test?

Wardp

Where can I get a red cell magnesium test done in Pattaya or bangkok. I had it done in the UK a few years ago and it came back low.the reason I want to repeat it is that my twitching had returned which low magnesium was the cause last time.serum test is no good as it always comes back Normal. Advice appreciated.

It will nto be easy to find outside of a major hospital.  (Serum magnesium yes, but RBC magnesium, no).

You could try these places. Make sure they understand what you mean and do not answer thinking of serum test:

https://www.pathlab.co.th/

https://www.brianet.com/blood-test/

Though if it were me I would probably just take a supplement to see if that helps. And address the underlying cause. (alcohol is a frequent culprit, as are some medications).

• Like 1

21st century make a Magnesium supplement, that is pretty good value for money.

You are probably aware of what Magnesium does in the body. Easy to google it or PM me if you're not sure.

Start off with 500 mg a day and gradually build up the dose to 2000 mg.. Check on the effects on yourself as you go.

Some practitioners say that starting with 5000 mg is fine. I don't subscribe to this high an intake straight away.

Which magnesium are you referring to Sheryl? The daily amount of magnesium for adults needed by the body is 320mg. glycinate is recommended at 2 capsules twice  per day. the tablets are 350 mg but in reality  you are getting 100 mg per tablet capsule. Brand name solaray.thanks again.

You mentioned medication as been a cause of low magnesium. My Dr before did mention Omeprazole as a possibility.but I must take it with aspirin for my stent or I bleed from my stomach linen.catch 22.

• Confused 1

I have read that magnesium oxide is the least absorbed magnesium supplement. Which is 21st century. I don't mind paying extra for the glycinate .I have received it and shall start slowly with 100 mg twice a day.i made a mistake the recommend dose for adult males is around 400mg a day.i am also take centrum +50 and 500mg of vitamin c.

15 hours ago, Wardp said:

Which magnesium are you referring to Sheryl? The daily amount of magnesium for adults needed by the body is 320mg. glycinate is recommended at 2 capsules twice  per day. the tablets are 350 mg but in reality  you are getting 100 mg per tablet capsule. Brand name solaray.thanks again.

I would titrate to clinical signs i.e. the twitching. You get some Mg in your food so an additional 200 mg might do the trick. Try the 2 caps a day and see if it works.

15 hours ago, Wardp said:

You mentioned medication as been a cause of low magnesium. My Dr before did mention Omeprazole as a possibility.but I must take it with aspirin for my stent or I bleed from my stomach linen.catch 22.

Yes, it is.

Besides  Mg, omeprazole can also reduce B12, iron, Vit C  and clacium.

Most especially, B12. You should either get your B12 levels checked yearly  (any lab can do this) or empirically supplement with sublingual B12.

The twitching you mentioned can also be due to B12 deficiency.   Suggest you get B12 level done now -- many people use this lab in Pattaya http://lifecare.siam2web.com/

28 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Surely  BPH do such tests?

Not  at all necessarily. Serum Mg yes but RBC mg not sure and if they can, would be costly test plus need a doctor consultation first.

Personally I would just experiment first with supplements (being careful to stay within recommended dosages).

Given that we now know he is on omeprazole, a PPI, long term, beside Magnesium he also needs to consider possible B12 deficiency. Unlike RBC Mg, B12 levels can be done by pretty much any lab.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not  at all necessarily. Serum Mg yes but RBC mg not sure and if they can, would be costly test plus need a doctor consultation first.

Personally I would just experiment first with supplements (being careful to stay within recommended dosages).

Given that we now know he is on omeprazole, a PPI, long term, beside Magnesium he also needs to consider possible B12 deficiency. Unlike RBC Mg, B12 levels can be done by pretty much any lab.

Thank you for your response