internet package in bangkok

NoDisplayName

Howdy!  I will be arriving in Bangkok this summer, and will need to quickly set up internet.

I have a few questions for the forum experts:

Will I have any problem doing this with a tourist waiver, or eventually a NON-O visa?

Which provider is recommended for basic internet, no massive down/uploads?

How long does it usually take to get installed?

I plan to move after six months or so.  Can i get a monthly or 6-month package?

What about SIM adapters that plug into the laptop USB port?

Are you renting? If yes, contact the landlord to see what options currently exist.

And talk to others, neighbors, to the extent you can prior to arrival, to see what service they use.

Can you describe the building? Free-standing, shop-house, single-digit storey condo, very large condo.

As with most things here, there is a variability in experiences, and thus no definitive answer to most of your questions.

Given your short-stay, a need for basic internet, it might be that mobile data, i.e. 4G/LTE will be sufficient.

How many devices do you have?

You could use your mobile as a hot-spot or get a n inexpensive 4G modem. Mobile data packages run from 150 baht up. The least expensive options include 1 year SIMs with unlimited data/fixed bandwidth and limited data/unlimited bandwidth (300 Mbps in reality).

I think you will be challenged, as a foreigner/non-immigrant in getting fixed broadband service, more so for only 6 months.

Thanks for those responses.

I'll arrive sometime in July, and expect I'll be staying in a high-rise condo in one of the outlying districts, not in the CBD.  At most two devices, but I can manage one at a time.

Foreign passport, no work permit, on visa waiver at the start, 6-month time frame before moving from Bangkok to elsewhere.....yes, I understand my options will be limited.

The AirCard looks promising, but I'm not so sure about service from True, at least judging by their website.  The 'special features' and 'promotions' tabs don't open, right click takes me to the same page, 'info' takes me to the same page, 'terms and conditions' takes me to iPhones.

And it seems the promotions are out of date.  The aircard is from '2557', and the pocket wifi from '2559'.

Their 4G pocket wifi also looks interesting.  Anyone used this? 

https://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/3208/4G_pocket_WiFi?ln=en#promotion

Edited by NoDisplayName

18 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

expect I'll be staying in a high-rise condo

Which floor. Mobile signals (both voice and data) can have issues on higher floors. This is the primary reason local providers offer WiFi calling.

Maybe check with the landlord to see what works in your intended unit. Some buildings do have fiber to the building then VDSL up to the units. And these plans offer month-month service, although probably only for thais.

Your phone will be able to work as a hotspot, and share your mobile data plan to other devices locally over WiFi. This will get you through the the first week or so. Obviously you'll need to get a local SIM.

If you do end up requiring a more robust solution, maybe separate the 4G Router and any SIM/Plan. That is, but the best router for your budget/requirements, then consider a separate SIM. The 1 Year SIMs offer the most bang for the buck. And go for a free-standing 4G router, rather than a USB unit.

Edited by mtls2005

On 5/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, NoDisplayName said:

The AirCard looks promising, but I'm not so sure about service from True, at least judging by their website.  The 'special features' and 'promotions' tabs don't open, right click takes me to the same page, 'info' takes me to the same page, 'terms and conditions' takes me to iPhones.

True and AIS both have bad websites but are the best mobile data providers in Thailand. You should be fine with either of them. You'll have to talk to your landlord if you want home internet and see what's acceptable but you'll likely be dealing with True or AIS there too. The best bang for your buck will likely be a prepaid sim card with unlimited data at a rate that suits your needs, because you'll want a sim and cellphone data for traveling anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Thanks for the info, all.

I think we'll go with the SIM card and a stand-alone router.

We're looking at this TP-Link model that has two hard-wire connection ports.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-tp-link-tl-mr100-4g-1-by-wpnmobile-i3773515787-s14338466880.html?freeshipping=1&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6

Bare in mind that regardless of what has been posted, you will be limited to at the most, around 20 Mbps. The 300 Mbps figure posted is just pie in the sky and certainly not available via the MR-100.

You can also consider and compare the D-Link DWR-M920. 

Truemove H and DTAC currently offer packs with unlimited 'up to 30 Mbps' connections for 265 monthly or thereabouts. DTAC has an annual option.

AIS offers an 'up to 30 Mbps' unlimited connection for 235 baht per month. 

These are through selected distributors and not direct from the network. There are lesser promos that you can add via USSD code, such as unlimited 15 & 20 Mbps.

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow-up, arrived in Thailand yesterday.  Girlfriend and I went to True and picked up a "wireless broadband plus" desktop unit.  Set up will have cables to our two computers and wifi as needed.

Bought a SIM card with unlimited internet for 699/month.  No long-term commitment, can cancel after three months.

Speed test shows 13/17 mbps, good enough for Youtube videos and cartoon network.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Just as a follow-up, arrived in Thailand yesterday.  Girlfriend and I went to True and picked up a "wireless broadband plus" desktop unit.  Set up will have cables to our two computers and wifi as needed.

Bought a SIM card with unlimited internet for 699/month.  No long-term commitment, can cancel after three months.

Speed test shows 13/17 mbps, good enough for Youtube videos and cartoon network.

You went off-script with the SIM. Unlimited 20 Mbps with Truemove H Prepaid costs from 200 baht per 30 days.

5 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

a bit too late for my response but AIS has 50mb dl broadband internet+router for condos at just 250 baht/month, not sure if you can cancel though after a few months. An extra $10 or so a month isn't a big deal anyways

Edited by dj230

10 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You went off-script with the SIM. Unlimited 20 Mbps with Truemove H Prepaid costs from 200 baht per 30 days.

What you say is True.  However I was in the True sales office with my girlfriend.  The salesdude did not speak much English, and my girlfriend's translating is not rated for technical jargon.

I needed internet now, and went with the best option available now.  Landlines now require 2-year commitment, this SIM only has 3-months required before we can cancel.   When we move to the country in six months, I can take the unit with me and continue service uninterrupted.....also can keep the SIM or change to another.

Don't recall what the speed was advertised as.  Up/download speeds I listed were from on online speed test in this location at that specific time.  It's fast enough for my needs.

$20/month for internet won't break the bank.  If I can save $5-10/month in the future, I'll do that after the move.

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

What you say is True.  However I was in the True sales office with my girlfriend.  The salesdude did not speak much English, and my girlfriend's translating is not rated for technical jargon.

I needed internet now, and went with the best option available now.  Landlines now require 2-year commitment, this SIM only has 3-months required before we can cancel.   When we move to the country in six months, I can take the unit with me and continue service uninterrupted.....also can keep the SIM or change to another.

Don't recall what the speed was advertised as.  Up/download speeds I listed were from on online speed test in this location at that specific time.  It's fast enough for my needs.

$20/month for internet won't break the bank.  If I can save $5-10/month in the future, I'll do that after the move.

699 baht is US$19.50. 200 baht is US$5.58. Not sure how your brain came to a US$5 - 10 a month saving. ???? I guess you are trying to diminish the overspend in your mind. 

It would have been "now" if you had simply bought the 49 baht prepaid SIM as suggested many times within your thread. Top up and tap a code on the phone keyboard(they could have done it for you in the shop) before placing it into the modem and that's it. No commitment, US$5.58 monthly and the same speed as you are getting now.

You didn't need to talk to anyone at all. 

It's not about the money...