This might sound stupid but...

I would like to know if the Thai computer system would know whether or not a passport was cancelled if you had to exit/enter the country.

So if Mae Sai border opens up soon...

And you're waiting for a passport that's taking a long time, so you need to do a visa run before it arrives.

Would you be able to exit and enter Thailand with the passport you're allowed to keep while waiting for your new one to be delivered?

I'm reading that an old passport is still active until you get your new one, but I always assumed it was cancelled as soon as passport office received your passport renewal application.

So would anything show up on Thai immigration computers when they're scanning your passport (which wouldn't be snipped yet, i don't think) if you wanted to walk out and walk in at Mae Sai for extra 30 days.

In the case of the UK for example the old passport is cancelled when the application for a new one is received but that information is not shared outside of the UK itself, so the Thai immigration system will not be aware.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, onebaht said:

Amazing, thanks.

I'll be coming asap then.

You will have to find a border crossing that is is open. As far as I know Myanmar is not open yet.

Since you mentioned Mai Sai you might want to check if the crossing from Chiang Rai to Laos is open. Laos just opened up some more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will have to find a border crossing that is is open. As far as I know Myanmar is not open yet.

Since you mentioned Mai Sai you might want to check if the crossing from Chiang Rai to Laos is open. Laos just opened up some more.

I think I read somewhere the Malaysian borders are open/opening up soon.

2 minutes ago, onebaht said:

I think I read somewhere the Malaysian borders are open/opening up soon.

Some border crossing to Malaysia are open. Not sure what is required to enter Malaysia though.

You will need a Thailand Pass to return to Thailand.

How long is your old passport still valid?

I remember a time when it had to be valid for at least another 6 months. If that is not the case then maybe they won't let you in - independent of the application for a new passport.

Personally I would look for a visa agent or border agent or whatever these guys are called. I made visa runs many years ago and in a group of maybe 30 people it was just next, next, next. And if there was a problem then our agent sorted it out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I remember a time when it had to be valid for at least another 6 months. If that is not the case then maybe they won't let you in - independent of the application for a new passport.

For those from most countries there is no 6 months passport validity requirement. A passport only has to be valid for your length of stay. But neighboring countries do have a 6 month requirement.

Not sure where he is located. There is topic about doing a run to the Ban Laem crossing to Cambodia.

My passport is valid until Aug 2024.

It just getting low on pages.

I won't need to leave until Aug with old passport (if new one is delayed), so I hope more border crossings will be open by then.

Edited by onebaht