Questions about getting a refund from Lazada

BangkokHank

I have made many successful purchases through Lazada, but my luck came to an end when I was scammed recently.  I ordered a small speaker of a certain brand that I know to be good (as I already have one that I bought off of Lazada before in another country.)  My speaker arrived just a few days later, but it was a different size, color and brand (actually it didn't even have a brand name on it) from the one I ordered.  I wanted to return it, but in Lazada's system, it was showing that the product hadn't even been delivered, so I couldn't return something that I allegedly hadn't received.  Then finally, Lazada cancelled the order, saying that the seller had violated their policies.  I contacted Lazada and explained everything to them, and after sending them pictures of the item and the shipping package, they agreed to give me a refund.

But here's the problem:  They want to transfer the money to my bank account, for which they need a photo of my passport - and a photo of my account number - whatever that means.  I am extremely reluctant to send them a picture of my passport, and I'm not very comfortable giving them my bank account details either.  Is there another way I can get my refund?  Can't they just somehow credit my account with the money so that I can use it on my next purchase?  Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?  Thanks very much.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I always pay by credit card so any returns or cancellations have not been a problem.

Yer I paid by CC and was refunded that way---- if all else fails you have a credit with them...... maybe if not you then someone else might want to purchase items

• Like 1

Wallet use is for Thais only.

I've had a few refunds to my BBL account via LAZ, and no issues.  Info sent via email to LAZ, and refund shows up in about a week.  20k, 21k, 28k baht, some smaller, and one pending for 3550, as awaiting product pick up to be returned.  Never a problem.

• Thanks 1

What ever you do do not let them have you account details or worse, your passport, call Lazada help centre, they speak good english and try to find a way to get your money back and even settle for Lazada credit rather than expose yourself to all the crooks out there...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks very much for your comments everyone.  So, I will call Lazada first and ask them to credit my account with the refund, and if that is not possible, then I will (reluctantly) send them a picture of my passport with my bank account number.

• Like 1

Follow-up:  It turns out that to get the money credited to my Lazada account for use on a future purchase, they would also need a picture of my passport.  Ha.  So I sent them a picture of my passport and the front page of my bank book (or book bank, as it is called in Thailand), and they have already made the refund. Now they have sent me an email asking me to show my gratitude to their agent for solving my problem. They're going to get an earful from me. I should not have to risk identity theft to get a refund for having been scammed by a seller on THEIR website!