Bringing medications to Thailand - over 30 days

TheRascal

My mum is visiting Thailand and will likely be here for over a month. Does anyone know what the legality of the following are in Thailand and if she will need to have a prescription with her for her existing tablets and if she will be able to have over 30 day's worth:

• Venlafaxine 37.5mg (full box is 56 tablets but she takes 2 per day so would need over 1 box)
  • Betahistine Dihydrochloride 16mg (full box is 84 tablets, takes as needed. Not really regularly)

Also are they available here incase she needed more?

You are allowed to bring in 3 months worth, there is no 30 day limit. Bein gin a labelled prescription bottle is enough. And in practice they don't usually count out the number of pills, as long as at a glance they look consistent with a temporary stay.

Venlafaxine and Betahistine are both available here  over the counter. No prescription needed. The Venlafaxine is pretty expensive though.

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never seen them pull an older Mum to the side and search her stuff.

May happen on the way out, but I doubt it.  I bet she will be fine coming in with those meds.

One should never assume that bags won't be checked (they usually won't be -- but never assume it).

However as it is perfectly legal for her to b ring in up to a 3 month supply of these medications, it is a non-issue.

Just make sure the meds are clealr ylabelled.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never seen them pull an older Mum to the side and search her stuff.

May happen on the way out, but I doubt it.  I bet she will be fine coming in with those meds.

Cheers mate, I thought she's not exactly the target profile!

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

One should never assume that bags won't be checked (they usually won't be -- but never assume it).

However as it is perfectly legal for her to b ring in up to a 3 month supply of these medications, it is a non-issue.

Just make sure the meds are clealr ylabelled.

Thanks Sheryl, I was hoping you'd weigh in. Thanks for the answer and for all the info you provide here, it's a massive help to a lot of expats.