Melt down Silver , any shop recommend?

oMega69

Maybe ask at a family-owned/family operated gold shop, they will probably know some local contacts to refer you to.  Might be best to tell them you are looking for a shop rather than some random person that you can't find later. 

Out of curiouslity what do you want to do with the silver after it's melted down?  I'd imagine that in its present form it's easy to recognize what it is, and might even be stamped.  But if melted down it'll be difficult for someone else to tell what it is, it would have to be assayed, and even then it would be difficult for that person to re-sell it.  Seems to me that melting it down is only useful if you plan to use it to fabricate something else.   If you plan to melt it into ingots with some sort of stamp, it might be better to just trade it in its current form for some ingots that are readily identifiable as being from a major, well recognized source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:25 PM, ChrisP24 said:

what do you want to do with the silver after it's melted down?

From the OP...

"I have some silver i want to melt down to bulions . ."

Perhaps he wants it melted down into bullion?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 5/13/2022 at 9:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

From the OP...

"I have some silver i want to melt down to bulions . ."

Perhaps he wants it melted down into bullion?

That's how I understood it.  Not sure why OP has not been back to respond or clarify, but maybe I missed something. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a box of the family silver. Mostly cutlery etc and would love to get it turned into easily tradeable coins or bars with assayed marks. Op is not asking for anything unrealistic. I would like to know too if anyone can advise please. 

IMO the OP would need to look for a company that specializes in silver bullion.

Silver cannot simply be melted down, it has to be done in an inert atmosphere, otherwise it becomes silver oxide.