£0.6bn a year to uprate UK pensions for Thai retirees

8 hours ago, nickmondo said:

typical uk!!!!!!!!!!!

<deleted> on the people that have worked their whole lives, paid NI and Taxes

But if your illegal and arrive in a rubber boat, you are given multiple times the amount given to a pensioner!!

my advice.........keep a uk address, even if just a friend, and get all your mail, bank statements etc sent there for years.

also, take the money in any other way you can..........credit cards........loans.........anything..........and just tell them alll to get stuffed

Please show me where in law the people who "arrive in a rubber boat"are "illegal".

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yet another who needs to try to understand the difference between illegal immigrants and refugees accepted as asylum seekers.

There is no difference, refugees and asylum seekers are just self applied labels for one type of illegal immigrant. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Illegal immigrants in the UK are not entitled to any Govt benefits.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-immigrant-benefits-uk-idUSKBN22J30G

Same claptrap the "conservative" lot bruit about in the US. Immigrants, until naturalized, receive no financial benefits, and in America at least cannot vote, despite the lies broadcast by Republican politicians. Many Democratic politicians prefabricate too, but not as egregiously and frequently, it seems.

9 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

UK Government Functionary

To a lowly civil servant minion:

"The Poms are whinging again, cut and paste the usual and then you can make the tea"

The English are complaining again for the people who are not used to Australian bigotry 

13 hours ago, oxmermaid said:

As usual the standard clap trap response from the UK Government.

Sure it would cost them a shed load of money to bring the pensions inline with UK based pensioners, but what is not mentioned is the savings made by us 'exiles' not be a drain on the NHS and state care services. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the figure exceeded the quoted upgrade costs.

Couldn't agree more! What also "sticks in the craw" is that (as has been said already) if you retire to the Philippines, or Spain or the USA or.......... you will get the annual increments because they have a "reciprocal agreement" with the UK.

All this "hogwash" about it having been the same under successive governments (I believe the figure of 70 years was quoted) also is a "souce of irritation" (I'm being polite) 

You can bet your bottom dollar - sorry pound, that if it was MP's expenses that were under threat, they would soon be altering the rules to suit! 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 7:40 AM, stephenterry said:

And I'm still paying UK income tax, while not a lot, it's a slap in the face. I qualified for a full state pension when I was aged 61, but still they took NIC for the next four years. 

IMO, the reason the government is not paying Ex pats a full pension rise is that those pensioners in the UK will bleat that they are not being looked after. 

"......those pensioners in the UK will bleat that they are not being looked after."

Why? They are getting their annual increments while "we" are not.

I also pay tax on my pensions, so I empathise with you on that point! 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, Flink said:

What IS a drain on the NHS is the millions they spend each year:

1. On teams of managers to manage a smaller team of nursing staff.

2. The hundreds of thousands of pounds (if not millions) they are forking out for Diversity, Inclusion and Equity officers in NHS trusts with pay scales from 70k upward each.

3. The millions each year spent treating illegal immigrants who already cost the UK 5 million a week to house and feed.

The NHS costs the British taxpayer 1.4 billion a week to run. Most of that goes to management teams and external contractors.

The pension payments overseas are an issue for me because of the disparity. If you choose to retire to one country you can get the increases, the country next to it you don't. Either give all overseas retirees the annual increases or none of them. 

"Either give all overseas retirees the annual increases or none of them."

That would certainly seem a fair way of doing it, but can you imagine the outcry from people who are getting the increments because they are living in a foreign country like the Phllippines, and they suddenly get them taken away from them?  

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolute nonsense.  I'm an expat, so are many other members and we get our state pensions here.

I agree with you (for a change!) What we do NOT get are the annual increments that expats living in many other countries DO get! 

• Thanks 1

Got some stats for that claim?    Didn't think so.

Why are you so concerned about the costs to the government as justification for your assertion?   Just move back if you want the increases that were never promised to you as a non-UK resident.

"Just move back......................"

Now where have I heard that before?

• Like 2

You may want to check up on that question/claim!   But, even if it were true, what have the pension arrangements of other countries got to do with the UK's?

You're certainly battering the old keyboard with your posts today, Lou! Not got a lot on, or are you just trying to get your count up?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Making cost comparisons using Defence as an example is just repetitive leftist claptrap. Recent events have shown that if anything, defence spending is woefully inadequate.

You should be making comparisons with....

1) The millions spent on overpaid "TV stars" and newscasters by the BBC.

2) The millions misused on top management and woke training in the NHS.

3) The millions spent on supporting illegal immigrants coming from Calais.

4) The millions wasted on the House of Lords, one of the largest legislative bodies in the world.

5) The millions wasted on gold plated pensions for MPs, police and civil servants.

6) The billions wasted on the "Overseas Development fund".

7) Billions wasted on climate change such as cars using diesel fiasco and now electric cars.

and so on.....

Just as a matter of interest - honest question - if an MP decided to retire to Thailand, would he get his annual increments? I bet that's already covered by some "agreement"!

• Like 1

The minister for pensions in the UK is The Rt Hon Thérèse Coffey MP

I guess that Thailand has the same equivalent post within their Government.

I wonder if this (Thai) minister realises just how much money the Thais are

losing – and have lost - over the years? Must be an eyewatering amount

that has not gone into the Thai economy. 

For a UK citizen to qualify for an increase to their State Pension whilst they

are living abroad they have to be living in a country that has a 

'Bilateral Agreement" - or - "Reciprocal Agreement" with the United Kingdom.

Here is a list of countries where UK citizens DO GET increases to pensions

whilst they are living outside of the United Kingdom - along side of any of

the pensioners' that live within the United Kingdom - they are:

Austria - Belgium  - Bulgaria - Croatia - Cyprus - Czech Republic - Denmark

Estonia - Finland - France - Germany - Greece - Hungary - Iceland - Ireland

Italy - Latvia - Liechtenstein - Lithuania - Luxembourg - Malta - Netherlands 

Norway - Poland - Portugal - Romania - Slovakia - Slovenia - Spain - Sweden

Thailand isn't on the above list of countries because   they do not have a

"Bilateral Agreement" - or - "Reciprocal Agreement" with the United Kingdom.

According to Google - "Thailand issued almost 80,000 retirement visas in 2018, an increase of 30% from 2014, with Britons accounting for the bulk"

That right there is a lot of money in UK State Pension increases that is NOT

going into the Thai economy. The Pensions Minister in Thailand needs to

(in my humble opinion) be telling BoJo to add the United Kingdom to that

list of countries where UK citizens qualify for a Pension Increase.

I hope that I have got my point across - but Heads Up my Thai is very poor

so if my suggestion should be taken further a more qualified person would

need to hop aboard.

• Haha 1

This was never going to get of the gound, let alone fly. I like possibly many of you UK citizens have lost my vote - so we're no threat to politicians. We can safely be ignored.There is no incentive to do it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

For a pensioner! Got any figures?

Over the past century, average life expectancy in the UK has increased by 30 years and this trend will continue. By 2030, there will be three million over 85s in the UK and more than 15 million over 65s. This research, undertaken by SQW on behalf of WRVS, seeks to strengthen the evidence base in relation to an ageing society by examining the contribution of a growing population of older people as well as the costs. Based on that evidence, this research challenges the widely held view that older people represent a net cost to society. Findings showed that older people made a positive net contribution of £40 billion to the UK economy in 2010.  Furthermore, as the overall number of people over 65 increases and people remain healthier for longer, opportunities to make a positive contribution through work or volunteering will grow. As a result, by 2030, the positive net contribution of over 65s will rise to an estimated £77 billion.

Source: https://www.scie-socialcareonline.org.uk/gold-age-pensioners-valuing-the-socio-economic-contribution-of-older-people-in-the-uk/r/a11G00000017wMhIAI

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sambum said:

Why? They are getting their annual increments while "we" are not.

You don't really want to go there. The UK government is attempting to make radical changes in pension entitlements, including age limits. It's enough to cause unrest, and the fact that we  already suffer doesn't stop the pensioners complaining. 

I think this is the most inappropriate time to petition the Gov who are under seige with public unrest as cost of living escalates. I reckon our chance of success is close to zero.

• Like 1

Had I retired to the Philippines I would have received a yearly increase in my State pension. 

My military pension is also paid by the UK and receives a yearly increase. !! I make no claims for benefits, winter fuel allowance, bus passes or the use the NHS . However, it's nice to know that that the 350 quid UK tax I pay each month is helping pay the hotel bills of the human freeloading flotsam creeping up the UK's beaches.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nglodnig said:

I like possibly many of you UK citizens have lost my vote

You're getting it back soon. The fifteen years limitation to overseas voting was repealed at the end of April, so one hopes the local arrangements are in place before the next election. Having said that, our votes are spread across potentially 650 constituencies, so collectively we have no real influence. Also bear in mind that the only practical means of voting is by proxy, so you have to get your ducks in a row and register well before an election, finding someone to cast your vote for you. Having been away less than 13 years, I've never lost my vote, but the system does work.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kinnock said:

There is no difference, refugees and asylum seekers are just self applied labels for one type of illegal immigrant. 

If that was a serious response, you, seriously, need to do some research on what refugees are as opposed to illegal immigrants.

• Confused 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, Bim Smith said:
On 5/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

The increases are not "what is due" in Thailand, you already get what is due, i.e.  the state pension that you are paid.       

I am not sure if you're aware but the country is bankrupt and there is no pension pot but pension commitments. The pot is empty and spent a long time ago. It's a pomzi scheme and the current pensions are paid by current NI contributions. If there was a pot like private pensions they are invested and increases are paid by the investments. It's a scam. 

What's any of that got to do with my comment?   I'll help you with that...nothing.

State pensions are not "a scam". 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's a lot of things that need sorting out today!

And you're the man to do it?

Sure am.  I'm surprised that you put the question mark at the end of your comment, you could have just left it as a statement!

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Sure am.  I'm surprised that you put the question mark at the end of your comment, you could have just left it as a statement!

I was just wanting you to confirm your opinion of yourself!

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, Flink said:

Well, as far as these boat people are concerned they ARE asylum seekers. Genuine asylum seekers I have no issue with, however, these characters in the boats only claim to be asylum seekers when caught. Genuine asylum seekers with a GENUINE claim for asylum can (and do) use the specified channels to apply. These guys on the boats are economic migrants who just use the asylum claim to prevent them being booted backout to sea. If their claims were genuine they would not be ditching their identity documents intothe channel on the way across. 

I know.