Thai vs. US/UK building height standards

RamenRaven

What are some height differences between Thai vs. US/UK building standards?

Particularly the kinds of height differences that we need to know so that taller Westerners would not be going to the hospital for head injuries and neck/back problems.

Regular doorway height

Bathroom doorway height

Sink height

Countertop height

Toilet height/size

Ceiling height

Cabinet height

And other heights

Need a list of all the various height differences to tell Thai builders.

If you just let them do everything according to Thai standards, they'll build something custom designed for tiny little Auntie Noi by default.

For instance, Thais keep building countertops at 80 cm or bathroom doors at 180 cm, or cooking smoke ventilators below my eyes even in new homes. Too small and painful.

My height: right at 6 feet, maybe a bit taller, pretty average for Westerners.

Edited by RamenRaven

31 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

My height: right at 6 feet, maybe a bit taller, pretty average for Westerners.

Don't know where you get your "average" from but I would certainly like to be a bit nearer that. ☹️

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

All of what you mention can be determined by any decent builder who would know what to use or follow architectal instructions.

We had kitchen counter top height built to suit my wife. 

All doors are 2.2M.

Ceiling height differs throughout the design of our house to some degree the higher the better. 

As for furniture and fixtures after main build is just where common sense comes in on choosing what you want. 

That's where it helps (is required) to keep an eye on things.  A shower unit got installed while we were out.  Got back and when I checked, the holder for the shower sprayer was all the way to the top and pointed at my neck.  One of several rework jobs I needed to take on.  ????

• Thanks 1

For some heights that is easy: Just look and buy what is available as standard. I.e. doors 200 x 80cm.

For other heights like in the kitchen it depends on you. You can easily find lists on the internet which heights are optimal for specific body heights.

And then it depends on you what you want and what compromises are necessary.

I.e. my gf is more than 30cm shorter than me. There is no optimal height for both of us.

And probably it is also a question of how much are you willing to pay. I.e. I asked IKEA and they offer their kitchen in exactly one height. Take it of leave it. Or get them custom made for probably a lot more money. IKEA is obviously only an example, there are also typical appliances dimensions etc.

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

That's where it helps (is required) to keep an eye on things.  A shower unit got installed while we were out.  Got back and when I checked, the holder for the shower sprayer was all the way to the top and pointed at my neck.  One of several rework jobs I needed to take on.  ????

Yes the sliding bar system for the shower spray head is essential.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For some heights that is easy: Just look and buy what is available as standard. I.e. doors 200 x 80cm.

For other heights like in the kitchen it depends on you. You can easily find lists on the internet which heights are optimal for specific body heights.

And then it depends on you what you want and what compromises are necessary.

I.e. my gf is more than 30cm shorter than me. There is no optimal height for both of us.

And probably it is also a question of how much are you willing to pay. I.e. I asked IKEA and they offer their kitchen in exactly one height. Take it of leave it. Or get them custom made for probably a lot more money. IKEA is obviously only an example, there are also typical appliances dimensions etc.

A hop up kick around stall is good to have in the kitchen for my midget.????

Take a stroll in Global House, and you'll see the Thai standard.   Our new build, I think most windows & doors are custom made.  Countertops, I prefer a little higher than average, since having a not so good back, to avoid bending as much as possible.

But have to consider the wife, as using also, and much shorter than myself.  I'm only 175cm / 5'9", and closer to 'average' yank.  At 6', I would definitely go with custom doorways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

At 6', I would definitely go with custom doorways.

Doorways are easy. When they are big enough for tall and maybe big guys then any shorter person can also use them. With sinks and countertops this is a little more complicated.

1000673596.jpg?itok=BtI12pe1

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Don't know where you get your "average" from but I would certainly like to be a bit nearer that. ☹️

Be careful of what you wish for!

If you go near that, you'll be knocking over street market umbrellas and breaking bathroom doorways.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:34 PM, KhunLA said:

Take a stroll in Global House, and you'll see the Thai standard.   Our new build, I think most windows & doors are custom made.  Countertops, I prefer a little higher than average, since having a not so good back, to avoid bending as much as possible.

But have to consider the wife, as using also, and much shorter than myself.  I'm only 175cm / 5'9", and closer to 'average' yank.  At 6', I would definitely go with custom doorways.

I'm 6' 2" and the standard doors here are fine. 

My sister is 5' 9"....but yeah, I think that is about average for US males.