New Food Delivery Platform Launched to Help Restaurants and Consumers

snoop1130

37 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The food delivery platform will charge a commission fee, known as gross profit (GP), of 8% to small and medium-sized eateries. The fee is much lower than the standard 30% charged by other major food delivery platforms.

30%? Really-live and learn, live and learn. 

So is the goal here to put these operators out of business and costing people their jobs?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But don't forget the drivers don't get the 30% mentioned, they get survival payments, nothing more.

Yeah fair enough on the issue of workers pay (personally I believe the minimum wage is too low), but is the this initiative ultimately going to put them out of work altogether?

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

So is the goal here to put these operators out of business and costing people their jobs?

To compete with them yes, but what are the chances this government operation will do nearly as good a job as private companies? 

Also it's all in Thai and no word of English support.

I'm under the impression that Hungry Now a quite popular now defunct Pattaya operation was charging restaurants less than the big boys. Why they failed I do not know.

But the commission structure isn't the entire picture of this business. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I do not see that as an issue. The cost of the food will go down 30%, thereby leading the customer to buy 30% more over the year, thereby driving up demand for production of food by 30%, which should potentially generate 30% more job they can fill  ???? 

It's really not that simple at all. Restaurants still have pricing choices. They can charge the same as their in house prices, offer promotions or not, or as many do jack up the delivery prices so they don't killed by commissions.

The apps can also choose to charge extra for deliveries, a lot, a little, discounted, or nothing. 

On the other hand, it seems to me that probably this new competition will be good for consumers overall. When Hungry Now failed in Pattaya, the other players stopped offering most of their promotions. 

The infrastructure and brand loyalty of the private competitors like Grab, Panda, and Lineman are not going to be easy to squash. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes this was confirmed by several business owners in the area I know. But you can talk the percentage down if you're clever enough. It's not carved in stone. Though I wouldn't be surprised if most Thai owners of simple restaurants just pay whatever they ask.

If this new platform becomes available here I will definitely give it a try. I wouldn't even mind paying the same prices as on food panda or Grab, knowing more money flows to the actual businesses.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A national food delivery platform has been launched to assist restaurants in paying lower commission fees, thereby reducing food prices for consumers.

Sorry! We forgot to mention it will also make a profit for the parent company!  It is not all about altruism as the headline suggests!

9 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Challenge the operators who rake in the 30% not the drivers who get much less.

• Confused 1

As if there aren't enough delivery riders zigging and zagging through traffic at high speed now, causing dozens of near accidents and terrorizing other motorists, let's add a few more riders without bothering to enforce safe driving regulations...

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Challenge the operators who rake in the 30% not the drivers who get much less.

I wasn’t challenging the drivers, I was questioning whether it is a good idea to attempt to put them out of work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

As if there aren't enough delivery riders zigging and zagging through traffic at high speed now, causing dozens of near accidents and terrorizing other motorists, let's add a few more riders without bothering to enforce safe driving regulations...

Well in theory there should be an upper limit of how many food delivery drivers for all companies can exist although I presume its an ever expanding business.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I do not see that as an issue. The cost of the food will go down 30%, thereby leading the customer to buy 30% more over the year, thereby driving up demand for production of food by 30%, which should potentially generate 30% more job they can fill  ???? 

Do you work for TAT's statistical analysis department?

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To compete with them yes, but what are the chances this government operation will do nearly as good a job as private companies? 

Also it's all in Thai and no word of English support.

I'm under the impression that Hungry Now a quite popular now defunct Pattaya operation was charging restaurants less than the big boys. Why they failed I do not know.

But the commission structure isn't the entire picture of this business. 

We're from the government, this will help you!

Up there with "the cheque is in the post", and "of course I will still love you in the morning"!

4 minutes ago, vidgra said:

so this trend for idiots not even able to go out to find their food is forever ? this world is so sad...

Have you never had food delivered  before...?

Edited by JayClay

45 minutes ago, vidgra said:

so this trend for idiots not even able to go out to find their food is forever ? this world is so sad...

I love food delivery.

Apart from the incredible convenience the most wonderful benefit is sampling restaurants from locations that I never go to (as I have no vehicle).

In the Pattaya context I get to try places from the dark side. I never go to the dark side.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

We're from the government, this will help you!

Up there with "the cheque is in the post", and "of course I will still love you in the morning"!

Not a Reagan quote.

I live on government checks and they are very reliable.

It's not so black and white.