Jump to content

Retirement In Pattaya Or Hua Hin


thaisabai
 Share

Recommended Posts

does anyone know a reasonable priced place for a single man, no major health issues, approaching the late 70ties ?

looking up the internet, I can only find very remote and expensive retirement places.

Budget around 15,000 baht/month (rental only, no meals).

Convenience shop near by and swimming pool not a must, but preference.

easy travel to nearby supermarkets. Internet present or to be installed.

partial Seaview not a must but nice addendum. Longterm rent preferred. 

any suggestions welcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to get sea view and swimming pool close to shopping mall in Hua Hin. By your description, I would look at Jomtien. Best place in my eyes, and with Koh Larn island outside you got it all. 
 

For me With my gf, I would have chosen Hua Hin soi 94 or 88, also a nice condo in 102 now as well walking distance to Blueport and the beach.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Huahin market but I agree on Pattaya comments. Lots of options. If you want good quality for 15K then Jomtien or Pratumnak Hill are good quality locations for nice 1 bed units and small 2 bed at lower quality. In downtown Pattaya you would get a nice studio or 1 bed but no sea view for a quality unit but easy walking to everything so you don't need a bike car or taxi.

 

Use a good agent so you have a comeback on any issues. 

 

Some good agencies are Pattaya Point Real Estate, East Coast Property, Gecko Property and Coastal Real Estate. 

 

Yes I am a landlord in Pattaya and use these agents as they are very professional. I am sure others can share their agent experience too.

 

Prices decreased significantly in Pattaya during covid 50% below normal market for good units, I just rented two units last month and prices are nearly normal again max only -10%. 1 year contracts will get you a better deal with landlords as most renters only want a 6 months contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Pratamnuk area between Jomtien and Pattaya would tick most of your boxes. 

...have so many places ticking the boxes that would get exhausted if try to visit all of them...

 

One comment re transportation - living at the bottom of Pratamnak soi 5 myself, this area is not really convenient if you don't ride motorbike (or car, personally just dont like to use car in city area unless carry something that cant do with bike) as a bit far from songtao routes - but of course plenty of moto taxis and bolt will take you around if that is ok for you.  Up in soi 5 and 6 near Pratamnak road is fine as you can walk to Thapparaya to catch songtao. But if you ride, then the bottom area is good as have everything you need without need to go anywhere really - and is quiet, easy walk to beach too. But if access to public transportation has value, might be worth to limit the area within walking distance to Thapparaya or Jomtien beach road. Still many many options to choose for this price within 200m of those roads (where songtaos go). The area around ViewTalay 1, 2 and 5 as an example, those blocks alone must have tens of choices ticking all your wishes, and if you like smaller places have many such too (though if low floors seaview might be issue). Foodmart, Rompho fresh market, beach and bus to airport and even immigration within few minutes walk too. Only thing that is a bit further is hospital really!

Edited by mran66
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • metisdead changed the title to Retirement In Pattaya Or Hua Hin

I am in Hua Hin and will be moving out once I find someone to rent the condo I am in.  It might be a little out of your price range depending on how firm you are on 15k.  My unit is 60 sq mt with three balconies all with full or partial ocean view.  The condo is called Condochain, one of the older condos in Hua Hin  which is why you have the larger size.  I am not sure what the rent would be for long term, when I moved in it was 20k for 1 month and less for full year contract, I am currently on a discounted rate due to covid so that would not apply to anyone moving in now.  I had internet installed by True so you would be able to do the same.  7-11 is about 60 meters away and the condo is almost at the halfway point between Market Village and Bluport malls (approx 700-900 meters each way) and very close to Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital and on the baht bus route.  Also has a swimming pool.  Are you in Thailand now?  Let me know if you would like to take a look or want more information.

 

Scott

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Scott424 said:

I am in Hua Hin and will be moving out once I find someone to rent the condo I am in.  It might be a little out of your price range depending on how firm you are on 15k.  My unit is 60 sq mt with three balconies all with full or partial ocean view.  The condo is called Condochain, one of the older condos in Hua Hin  which is why you have the larger size.  I am not sure what the rent would be for long term, when I moved in it was 20k for 1 month and less for full year contract, I am currently on a discounted rate due to covid so that would not apply to anyone moving in now.  I had internet installed by True so you would be able to do the same.  7-11 is about 60 meters away and the condo is almost at the halfway point between Market Village and Bluport malls (approx 700-900 meters each way) and very close to Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital and on the baht bus route.  Also has a swimming pool.  Are you in Thailand now?  Let me know if you would like to take a look or want more information.

 

Scott

 

I almost bought one of the top studios facing the sea 8 years ago, but to much traffic noise for my taste, and I guess a new contract there should be easy to push the prices further down by now.
 

How the maintenance been inside the last years? Elevater, hallways, and the pool? I doubt they have done much since last time I looked at an apartment there 5 years ago. 
 

Same standard studio or better you get for less than 10k in Jomtien now. 
 

I believe the rent of the studio I looked at 80m2 included the balcony was 26k 5 years ago at Condochain. 

Edited by Hummin
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the beach is meaningful to you, then hands down Hua Hin is good. I just came from Jomtein Beach and the water is disgustingly nasty looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I almost bought one of the top studios facing the sea 8 years ago, but to much traffic noise for my taste, and I guess a new contract there should be easy to push the prices further down by now.
 

How the maintenance been inside the last years? Elevater, hallways, and the pool? I doubt they have done much since last time I looked at an apartment there 5 years ago. 
 

Same standard studio or better you get for less than 10k in Jomtien now. 
 

I believe the rent of the studio I looked at 80m2 included the balcony was 26k 5 years ago at Condochain. 

I believe the pool was turned into a saltwater pool, but later changed back to normal water.  At 80m2 that would be a 2 bedroom unit not a studio.  Studios here go for 8-12k I think depending on how they are designed.  BTW, I am actually thinking of moving to Jomtien, will spend June there to see if I like it or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scott424 said:

I believe the pool was turned into a saltwater pool, but later changed back to normal water.  At 80m2 that would be a 2 bedroom unit not a studio.  Studios here go for 8-12k I think depending on how they are designed.  BTW, I am actually thinking of moving to Jomtien, will spend June there to see if I like it or not.

The balcony was 40m2 if I remember right with outside kitchen, and a small tea kitchen inside. One room with a folding door seperating dining room and t beedroom. One of the front right ones, where you could look down on the neighbour balcony. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

The balcony was 40m2 if I remember right with outside kitchen, and a small tea kitchen inside. One room with a folding door seperating dining room and t beedroom. One of the front right ones, where you could look down on the neighbour balcony. 

I have not seen one like that, being at the front would definitely have issues with the street noise.  I looked at a unit near the front and did not like being that close to the main road.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, thaisabai said:

Convenience shop near by and swimming pool not a must, but preference.

easy travel to nearby supermarkets. Internet present or to be installed.

partial Seaview not a must but nice addendum.

This looks good at 9kbht/month

 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39150977?adults=1&check_in=2022-05-31&check_out=2023-06-01&display_extensions[]=MONTHLY_STAYS&federated_search_id=3c8459d9-d1e1-4e1d-b421-30374fc37ea1&source_impression_id=p3_1652616216_6tpphqNDbdecv6L1

f9b76599-85bb-4a5a-87f4-b0a683013d34.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

If the beach is meaningful to you, then hands down Hua Hin is good. I just came from Jomtein Beach and the water is disgustingly nasty looking.

555     yes, i was wondering what the posters for Pattaya were thinking (and the OP)  when mentioning "easy walk to the beach ".    Sunbathing ?

Of course if just talking about a view ,  well,  views are nice 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, rumak said:

555     yes, i was wondering what the posters for Pattaya were thinking (and the OP)  when mentioning "easy walk to the beach ".    Sunbathing ?

Of course if just talking about a view ,  well,  views are nice 

I assumed it was 'easy walk to beach road'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott424 said:

I have not seen one like that, being at the front would definitely have issues with the street noise.  I looked at a unit near the front and did not like being that close to the main road.

I ment beach front, one of the these, can not remember the floor it was

 

 

Screenshot_20220515-145125__01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I assumed it was 'easy walk to beach road'.

what they're selling there i wouldn't want for free ............

Link to post
Share on other sites

My recommendation is Jomtien Beach where 3 highrise condo buildings are located; Plaza Condo, Jomtien Complex Condo, and View Talay 7 Condo.  50 to 65M2 Studios fully furnished fall within your budget.  All have large pools, partial/full seaviews and minimarkets in the lobby or nearby.  And right on the baht bus route which for 10 baht take you around the city.

 

The beach walkways are very nice with concrete/brick pedestrian walkways lined with palm trees far enough from the water that the garbage is not readily visible and the ocean sludge odor is not noticed.

 

Renting a hotel for a week might be a good idea if you have particular tastes and needs.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I ment beach front, one of the these, can not remember the floor it was

 

 

Screenshot_20220515-145125__01.jpg

Ok, that clears it up, that is VIP Condochain, I am staying in Condochain a different condo altogether.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Do you care about grungy? 🤷‍♂️ There's Nirun Condo's in Pattaya City. Plenty of older expats there and rooms start at 8k or even cheaper. In the center of everything pretty much. Walk to Big C, bars, etc. Otherwise Jomtein Beach.

Edited by JimTripper
Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, BritManToo said:

That’s the Laguna 3 (Maldives), spent 5 nights there in a condo hunting tour & its miles away from anything + no chance of a sea view.

 

Beautiful place, awesome pools but you really need your own transport if you live there (on 1 site they claimed there were 2-3 shuttle buses to Tescos & Jomtien Night market, guards looked at us blankly when we asked about them).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

That’s the Laguna 3 (Maldives), spent 5 nights there in a condo hunting tour & its miles away from anything + no chance of a sea view.

 

Beautiful place, awesome pools but you really need your own transport if you live there (on 1 site they claimed there were 2-3 shuttle buses to Tescos & Jomtien Night market, guards looked at us blankly when we asked about them).

 

I once booked one of these resort style places with the pool in the center for a month online.

 

Needed to trek out every day for food etc. so I did not have to eat at the overpriced restaurant or get supplies from the overpriced convienience store there. Long unfriendly dark road with soi dogs, etc. on the way out.

 

Figured out why the rooms were so cheap!

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...