Thailand Hospitals - Not as cheap as you might think. Septoplasty story

wasabi

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

This discussion is in a Thailand forum and relates to Thai private hospitals. Not hospitals in the US.

No, the subject of the OP is that treatment in a Thai hospital is not always cheaper than treatment in foreign hospitals - specifically US hospitals. The example in the OP was treatment plan and cost at Thai hospitals versus a particular US hospital. The OP has US health insurance, which covered some or all of the cost for his treatment, which backs up his opinion.

My point, as a follow-up to the OP's US hospital experience was that if uninsured, the price quoted and/or billed by a US hospital may be far higher than what you actually pay. Uninsured American expats may want to take this into consideration when deciding between treatment in a Thai hospital versus a foreign (US) hospital. Additionally, there are government-sponsored programs that can lower the out of pocket costs for the uninsured, which should also be taken into consideration when making a choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrDave said:

No, the subject of the OP is that treatment in a Thai hospital is not always cheaper than treatment in foreign hospitals - specifically US hospitals. The example in the OP was treatment plan and cost at Thai hospitals versus a particular US hospital. The OP has US health insurance, which covered some or all of the cost for his treatment, which backs up his opinion.

My point, as a follow-up to the OP's US hospital experience was that if uninsured, the price quoted and/or billed by a US hospital may be far higher than what you actually pay. Uninsured American expats may want to take this into consideration when deciding between treatment in a Thai hospital versus a foreign (US) hospital. Additionally, there are government-sponsored programs that can lower the out of pocket costs for the uninsured, which should also be taken into consideration when making a choice.

Yes I do have US Health insurance based out of Florida and found a Florida ENT Who would accept my insurance and do the surgery. However there were two problems. 1 my insurance has a high deductible so I still would be on the hook for several thousand dollars but more importantly he had the same outdated surgical method as the Thai doctors. In the end paying out of pocket for the Austin Dr was the most cost effective and in line with what I wanted out of the surgical experience (minimally invasive) For me the lesson is to shop around perhaps in Thailand and other countries. In the past I just assumed the Thai price was cheaper and didn't shop around. I think this was true for a long time, but not any more, particularly at private hospitals. Though yes, great deals can still be found in Thailand.

Had a shoulder op 2years ago cost the same as my home top quality but was done on a date i requested so that was the difference ins cover was in the plan when i moved here.

Foreigners charged the same as in there own country TIT

16 hours ago, ding said:

She liked her care at BNH years ago and we both think Bumrungrad 's glory days are gone.

Chula is a great suggestion, thanks lopburi. I didn't know we could pay for government hospital vs free treatment.

We were going to move to Samui but the MRI results may force us to cancel the flight and stay in BKK.

We don't mind paying for great private care if it's actually significantly better, but that's not always the case.

Consider Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom.  It's an older but very well staffed facility with prices that are reasonable.  It's not "5 Star" by any means but it's Doctors and nurses are dedicated and professional.

Two different friends to whom I recommended BCH have been very happy with their experiences there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Well, if I was the next patient to be using the room, I would be happy to hear that. ????????

Surely, you are not suggesting that you were being ripped off?

Why? there was a pair of slippers in the original bag ,untouched ,a bag of toiletries that had not been touched ,toilet rolls in the original wrappers ,on and on ,they were all still in the cubards . i had not even left my bed until i got up to leave ,and go to a govt hospital,the cost was massive .27 baht for one baby asprin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Why? there was a pair of slippers in the original bag ,untouched ,a bag of toiletries that had not been touched ,toilet rolls in the original wrappers ,on and on ,they were all still in the cubards . i had not even left my bed until i got up to leave ,and go to a govt hospital,the cost was massive .27 baht for one baby asprin.

That appears to be a normal welcome kit - not items that would be itemized on any bill (included in cost for in patient treatment).  

A "baby asprin" in Thailand?  Been there/done that/you never - ever refer to low dose aspirin as for baby here.  Killer stares if you do.  

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That appears to be a normal welcome kit - not items that would be itemized on any bill (included in cost for in patient treatment).  

A "baby asprin" in Thailand?  Been there/done that/you never - ever refer to low dose aspirin as for baby here.  Killer stares if you do.  

i was charged individually for each item , by the way my heart doctor calls them baby asprin 

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

i was charged individually for each item , by the way my heart doctor calls them baby asprin 

Must be hurting after 2 years of almost no customers and charging for normal welcome basket items.  Is that a Thai doctor calling it baby aspirin?  Must have had training in USA.  Here they took completely off shelves when Reye's syndrome became the news and although still used in 100/125 size for blood thinning never given to children anymore.  If you ask for baby aspirin at most pharmacies here they stare at you like you are a baby killer.

The biggest risk here is getting 'diagnosed' for unnecessary surgical treatment. I was falsely diagnosed with a detached retina. Months later having failed retinal surgery I am back in the UK getting things resolved with my vision compromised. The surgeon diagnosed both eyes however I refused the second eye and on my return the UK eye hospital concluded that I do not require surgery! I most likely didn't require retinal surgery in the first eye. My eyesight has been compromised due to a greedy,  reckless Thai medical 'professional'. The medical profession are driven by money here and not ethics....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 6:43 PM, lopburi3 said:

Chula is one of the biggest and best of the government facilities and they have both normal and pay systems.

Key point is that it is a large well equipped hospital - does every hospital have a CT scanner or a xx or yy? This was my reason for going there, along with cost and the fact it was recommended by a couple of US Doctors. CT scan cost me Bt8,200. Chula is efficient but not easy to navigate if you don't read or speak Thai. So far I have found my way around with help from staff and Thai people who appeared at my side to help when I was having difficulties.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, Chris.B said:

Well, if I was the next patient to be using the room, I would be happy to hear that. ????????

Surely, you are not suggesting that you were being ripped off?

Yes, this is the norm in the U.S.  Learned this when a nurse told me, "you should take the phone, pillows, blanket, etc, You're just going to be billed for them."  All that was top-drawer stuff, too, that we used for years.    Incidentally, I wanted a fan in the room, which they wouldn't provide, but I asked if my husband could bring one from home.  The only way that was acceptable was if he brought in a brand-new one, still in the box.  Of course, we took that home, too.

• Like 1