Thailand Hospitals - Not as cheap as you might think. Septoplasty story

wasabi

24 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I want to start exploring clinics and lower cost options in Thailand that offer the same care with less of the "pampering premium" I have been paying at private hospitals.

Well if you go to a top rated hospital in Bangkok, the prices are going to be high.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I get charges a 'service  charge' which I find unacceptable

The hospital we use, which is a member of the BDMS group routinely adds a couple of "service charges".  For example, my wife wanted to have a consultation with a dermatologist, and of course they require you to have blood pressure and temperature recorded (300 baht) before you talk to the doctor. They also add some sort of other generic "nursing services" charge to the bill for another 300 baht. All this just to have a 5 minute conversation with a doctor at 1,000+ baht. No exam, procedure, or services.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, wasabi said:

I've noticed inflation in general healthcare at private hospitals in Thailand, mostly Bangkok, over the past 2 years.

Yes, many prices have doubled in the last 2 years. 

At the same time,  service at the international hospitals has deteriorated incredibly.

They have adjusted and don't live off the foreigners anymore,  their customers are rich Thais.

Bumrungrad is full (with Thais) whereas the foreign insurance companies cringe at these new prices. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrDave said:

The hospital we use, which is a member of the BDMS group routinely adds a couple of "service charges".  For example, my wife wanted to have a consultation with a dermatologist, and of course they require you to have blood pressure and temperature recorded (300 baht) before you talk to the doctor. They also add some sort of other generic "nursing services" charge to the bill for another 300 baht. All this just to have a 5 minute conversation with a doctor at 1,000+ baht. No exam, procedure, or services.

Yes its 280 baht a visit and not covered  by insurance

14 hours ago, DrDave said:

If you don't have insurance, you'll be billed the "list price" which you most likely will be able to negotiate significantly down.

Anyone here ever been able to negotiate a hospital significantly down?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, especially wasabi. Very useful!

My wife's breast cancer care in the US is awful. We're moving to Thailand this month - she's Thai.

She may need a hysterectomy now and I don't blame her for wanting it done in Thailand after the abysmal care in the US.

I can provide specifics if anyone wonders.

My question:

Where is the best place for my Thai wife to get a hysterectomy in Thailand

...if her upcoming MRI in America confirms she needs it?

(I should post my own thread I suppose, don't mean to hijack)

5 minutes ago, ding said:

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, especially wasabi. Very useful!

My wife's breast cancer care in the US is awful. We're moving to Thailand this month - she's Thai.

She may need a hysterectomy now and I don't blame her for wanting it done in Thailand after the abysmal care in the US.

I can provide specifics if anyone wonders.

My question:

Where is the best place for my Thai wife to get a hysterectomy in Thailand

...if her upcoming MRI in America confirms she needs it?

(I should post my own thread I suppose, don't mean to hijack)

She what to use a private or government hospital?  She plan to pay for government hospital or want free treatment?  Bangkok is the center for medical care in Thailand and Chula is one of the biggest and best of the government facilities and they have both normal and pay systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

She what to use a private or government hospital?  She plan to pay for government hospital or want free treatment?  Bangkok is the center for medical care in Thailand and Chula is one of the biggest and best of the government facilities and they have both normal and pay systems.

She liked her care at BNH years ago and we both think Bumrungrad 's glory days are gone.

Chula is a great suggestion, thanks lopburi. I didn't know we could pay for government hospital vs free treatment.

We were going to move to Samui but the MRI results may force us to cancel the flight and stay in BKK.

We don't mind paying for great private care if it's actually significantly better, but that's not always the case.

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Anyone here ever been able to negotiate a hospital significantly down?

Yes. About 8 years ago, my wife went to the ER in Florida with acute abdominal pain. After running some tests, it was determined that she needed to have her gall bladder removed sometime in the near future. After 90 minutes in the ER, she was released. We were never presented with a bill - they just took her name and address (and maybe SSN) when admitted. Well, it turns out that for uninsured patients, the hospital makes up a bill and turns it over to a third party agency for payment. We got the bill a few weeks later from the agency - over $5,000 baht for 90 minutes in the ER which consisted of a quick doctor's exam, an IV,  a vastly overpriced blood panel and potassium pills. I just sat on the bill for a few weeks, and surprise, surprise a new bill arrived with a total amount due of about $1,700 noting "discount for uninsured patient".  I didn't even have to negotiate.

Edited by DrDave
  • Sad 1

On 5/14/2022 at 7:32 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes non essential  services  and  payment for every cotton swap, plastic  glove etc and maybe charged for the full box

I spent one night in a private hospital ,when i left i was given a bag with everything that had been in the room ,90% of which had not been touched i had to pay for it all .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Yes. About 8 years ago, my wife went to the ER in Florida with acute abdominal pain. After running some tests, it was determined that she needed to have her gall bladder removed sometime in the near future. After 90 minutes in the ER, she was released. We were never presented with a bill - they just took her name and address (and maybe SSN) when admitted. Well, it turns out that for uninsured patients, the hospital makes up a bill and turns it over to a third party agency for payment. We got the bill a few weeks later from the agency - over $5,000 baht for 90 minutes in the ER which consisted of a quick doctor's exam, an IV,  a vastly overpriced blood panel and potassium pills. I just sat on the bill for a few weeks, and surprise, surprise a new bill arrived with a total amount due of about $1,700 noting "discount for uninsured patient".  I didn't even have to negotiate.

This discussion is in a Thailand forum and relates to Thai private hospitals. Not hospitals in the US.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I spent one night in a private hospital ,when i left i was given a bag with everything that had been in the room ,90% of which had not been touched i had to pay for it all .

Well, if I was the next patient to be using the room, I would be happy to hear that. ????????

Surely, you are not suggesting that you were being ripped off?

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1