Everything is smaller in Thailand

Disagree with some of comments.  Young thIs are actually quite tall.    Some roads are large.                      Cows especially buffalo are big.      Food you can ask for a big  portion.                                    Getting expensive in Thailand.        Some houses very big

Edited by Expat68

20 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Disagree with some of comments.  Young thIs are actually quite tall.    Some roads are large.                      Cows especially buffalo are big.      Food you can ask for a big  portion.                                    Getting expensive in Thailand.        Some houses very big

You can always find some counterexamples.

But on average? It's pretty obvious.

When I first came to Thailand, one of my first impressions was that common sense seems to exist in shockingly small quantities only.

I'm not so sure if I'd have the same impression nowadays though, as common sense has been in rapid decline all around the world. 

• Like 2

Smaller/lower (all in general terms) :

Water quality

Air quality

Trade craft expertise

Public interest in other countries and cultures

Building standards

Commodity goods quality

Sanitation standards

Education levels

Incentives and opportunities to improve skills

Numbers of knowledgeable/truly helpful sales people

Law enforcement

Concern for life

Government and commercial service standards

Quality goods availability

Banking services and deposit insurance

Health insurance quality

Food quality (herbicides/pesticides)

Auto repair/service standards

Web site usability or even presence

That said, I'm still here and plan to stay. Shangri-la is a myth.

I could generate a list just as long of good things, but that's not the current topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It was an interesting experience for my Thai GF in Australia, she commented on how everything was bigger. People, houses, meals, distances, trees. Native wildlife, she freaked out seeing a wedge-tailed eagle at full wing span.

Her biggest culture shock came when we drove from Cobar to Broken Hill,and thence to Mildura. No houses or people, where are they?

I guess her perspective was also influenced by her weighing 41 kg soaking wet.

I think most people visiting Australia have some difficulty coming to terms with the vastness of the country and distances between cities.

Years ago you used to hear stories  of the Japanese tourists arriving in Cairns thinking they could go down to Adelaide for a game of golf and be back for tea.

With the land I suppose we have been lucky that generally houses are not jammed together and you have a reasonable size garden.

Unfortunately with people many are going the way of those in the US and UK grossly overweight,of course I see that creeping in here as well.

10 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I think most people visiting Australia have some difficulty coming to terms with the vastness of the country and distances between cities.

Years ago you used to hear stories  of the Japanese tourists arriving in Cairns thinking they could go down to Adelaide for a game of golf and be back for tea.

With the land I suppose we have been lucky that generally houses are not jammed together and you have a reasonable size garden.

Unfortunately with people many are going the way of those in the US and UK grossly overweight,of course I see that creeping in here as well.

IMO you can put it down to just three brands - Maccas, KFC, and Pizza Hut. In Thailand, eating that garbage is also regarded as a status symbol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rott said:

It's a silly heading fo a silly topic, his was an inevitable and obvious response.

To answer your question, why? Some people think that stating the bleedin' obvious is funny and clever. 

In case you didn't notice this is posted under "Fun and entertainment'' If you have no sense of humour then Pish off.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I enjoy having been blessed with some heft.

Thanks for sharing (I think).

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have found some gals love a big one. Just depends. I am sure how good a lover a man is has alot to do with it. 

If you have only ever had a "big one" (we'll take your word for it BTW), how can you possibly pass judgement on how the rumpy pumpy goes for a bloke with a "small one"? Are all 'ladies parts' the same size then? Good "lover"... sheesh.

Another myth. Now pay close attention. It's got nothing to do with how we (think we) perform at all. A starfish will always be a starfish.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you comparing the size of your penis to Thai guys or Westerners ?

Are you "blessed with a large penis in Thailand and regular size in the West, or is yours big compared to other Westerners ?

Ho ho, Please don't generalize the westerners. A recent study published on this forum showed that the Dutchman (place 6) was distancing himself from the rest of the westerners. As an example we had England in place 63. So it's the Westerners minus the Dutchman.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RamenRaven said:

You can always find some counterexamples.

But on average? It's pretty obvious.

I came to Thailand for the first time in 1990, there were no KFC, McDonalds, etc., the ladies were far, far smaller back then

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Not sure what you mean. Like you want to say that certain body parts are also smaller? ????

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have found also that the ladies' parts in Thailand are tight and small...

And that is probably the reason so many Farangs come here. To feel SO BIG

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Still more fun than West. West is very bland. Nightlife is rubbish. Pubs are pokies.

I could not agree more. The west is grown to a very boring place with way to many rules and nagging and spoiled behavior, fat ladies with a very big mouth, expensive prices etc etc. With all the mentioned "short" comings in Thailand, its still a much better place to be then in the West. (+the Netherlands)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

I could not agree more. The west is grown to a very boring place with way to many rules and nagging and spoiled behavior, fat ladies with a very big mouth, expensive prices etc etc. With all the mentioned "short" comings in Thailand, its still a much better place to be then in the West. (+the Netherlands)

Meh... give me a tall, loud, assertive and opinionated Dutch girl any day over these bland, Thai 'up to you' fake princesses.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Door frames and stairwells.  I hit my head all the time especially walking down from a higher floor at the massage shops.

I never have had that problem or beds being too small????

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for sharing (I think).

If you have only ever had a "big one" (we'll take your word for it BTW), how can you possibly pass judgement on how the rumpy pumpy goes for a bloke with a "small one"? Are all 'ladies parts' the same size then? Good "lover"... sheesh.

Another myth. Now pay close attention. It's got nothing to do with how we (think we) perform at all. A starfish will always be a starfish.

I am only reciting what I have been told by many Asian woman. That they prefer smaller. That is all. 

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It was an interesting experience for my Thai GF in Australia, she commented on how everything was bigger. People, houses, meals, distances, trees. Native wildlife, she freaked out seeing a wedge-tailed eagle at full wing span.

Her biggest culture shock came when we drove from Cobar to Broken Hill,and thence to Mildura. No houses or people, where are they?

I guess her perspective was also influenced by her weighing 41 kg soaking wet.

Had about same response when we went back to Oz for a holiday.

20 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Anything else you can think of?

Yes, something about 4 inch...:whistling:

However, bamboo is bigger, at least compared to bamboo in my home-country...????

A Thai bamboo craftsman once asked me about the size of bamboo in my country, which I told him, and draw the size. He was thinking for a while, then he concluded: Thailand small girls, big bamboo - farangs, big girls, small bamboo...????????

And by the way, railway gauge is also smaller, only one meter...????

Edited by khunPer