Best and Cheapest Wood Glue for Teak

Adumbration

I am starting a micro niche manufacturing business here in my village with some Thai friends.

I will be using teak (Mai Sak).

I need teak blanks that are 1.2 meters plus long and 3inches x 3inches wide.

I can source 3 x 1.5 inch blanks but as of yet no joy finding 3 x 3.

It might be the case that I might have to laminate.

1. Anyone one know where I can get 3 x 3 inch teak in lengths longer than 1.2 meters.

2. Anyone have recommendations for best and cheapest wood glue available on shopee or lazada.

@sometimewoodworker this is a thread where you might actually be able to provide worthwhile input.

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I need teak blanks that are 1.2 meters plus long and 3inches x 3inches wide.

Nowt like mixing Metric & Imperial eh?

And must weigh 1kg 6 oz!   5555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

I use TOA wood glue .

Not any problems with long term storage .

Thanks @itsari.  I use a lot of TOA stuff but have never seen their wood glue product.  Can you please post a pic.  I have a tub of their latex glue but I trust that you are refering to another product.

I live near Klong Toei where they recycle all the pallets from the Port and make rustic furniture from them. I asked around all the wood shops there and they just use the cheap white TOA latex glue (school glue). I use it also on most projects as honestly its fine - but has no water resistant properties at all. There is a wood glue in Mr DIY (Waltek) that is actually quite good - it has that 'grab' quality that proper (yellow) wood glues have. 

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I use a lot of TOA stuff but have never seen their wood glue product. 

They do 3 commonly available latex wood glues LA-22S  is the most commonly available in multiple sizes (4, 8, 16, 32 ออนซ์ 1.8, 10, 50 กิโลกรัม) LA-35A 1, 10, & 50kg and LA-44 10kg and 50kg

I use all 3 and there is no noticeable difference in adhesive quality between the different versions. The shelf life is long several to many years if kept in full containers. The LA-35A May have a higher anti fungal and anti insect content

1 hour ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue.

Not cheap, but if quality is important it's the one to use.

I’ve used it, my experience shows it’s no better than local glue and leaves a very noticeable dark glue line.

Higher price does not equal better quality in this case.

It is more liquid than local products but you can always add a little water to thin the local glue down a bit.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, warrima said:

I live near Klong Toei where they recycle all the pallets from the Port and make rustic furniture from them. I asked around all the wood shops there and they just use the cheap white TOA latex glue (school glue). I use it also on most projects as honestly its fine - but has no water resistant properties at all. There is a wood glue in Mr DIY (Waltek) that is actually quite good - it has that 'grab' quality that proper (yellow) wood glues have. 

The glue I use must be waterproof.  It is for a marine application.  I want to avoid an epoxy solution if possible.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They do 3 commonly available latex wood glues LA-22S  is the most commonly available in multiple sizes (4, 8, 16, 32 ออนซ์ 1.8, 10, 50 กิโลกรัม) LA-35A 1, 10, & 50kg and LA-44 10kg and 50kg

I use all 3 and there is no noticeable difference in adhesive quality between the different versions. The shelf life is long several to many years if kept in full containers. The LA-35A May have a higher anti fungal and anti insect content

I need waterproof solution.  It is for a marine application.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I’ve used it, my experience shows it’s no better than local glue and leaves a very noticeable dark glue line.

Higher price does not equal better quality in this case.

It is more liquid than local products but you can always add a little water to thin the local glue down a bit.

Hogwash from start to finish.

You've surpassed your first nonsense post... "Any glue will work."

16 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

Hogwash from start to finish.

You've surpassed your first nonsense post... "Any glue will work."

That demonstrates exactly how little you know. There was 1 word assumed in my reply and that was “wood” as in “any wood glue” since that was in the question. 

of course you can try a cyanoacrylate glue but few of them are any good as a main wood glue though the do make good spot position glues while the main one is curing 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 5/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, pgrahmm said:

Bingo - a must have for most woodworking....

Agreed.

I've always gotten good results from it and I've been using it for years on a variety of tropical hardwoods but mostly teak which is my wood of choice.

Mixed with finely sifted sawdust it makes an excellent wood putty as well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Agreed.

I've always gotten good results from it and I've been using it for years on a variety of tropical hardwoods but mostly teak which is my wood of choice.

Mixed with finely sifted sawdust it makes an excellent wood putty as well.

Do you know where I can source some 2inch x 2inch teak in lengths over 1.5 meters.

7 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

In the Chiang Mai area I have bought teak lumber at Taweepan and Suksawat but some years ago the prices became astronomical.

Now I buy from used lumberyards and cut to size myself from old posts and planks.

Good luck with your projects. Thailand is a great place to be for woodworkers for a whole lot of reasons.

I am from Australia.  So IMHO is sucks.  They have cut most of their timber down and sold it.  Poor selection here and terribly overpriced.  Especially if you are looking for lengths of any nice timber over 1m.

I found at least six business selling teak in the 50 by 50 stick, but not a single one of them had any lengths over 1 meter.

God help you if you were renovating and old teak house and wanted some timber to make a door jamb.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

God help you if you were renovating and old teak house and wanted some timber to make a door jamb.

The usual way to get the sizes and lengths is from demolished houses, though you need a good relationship with the wood yards and be very fast as the whole house, in pieces, could be sold in a morning.