Concern over side effects means parents unwilling to vaccinate young children

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The poll shows that 77.2% of parents are worried that their children may develop serious side effects. 55.3% are not confident in the effectiveness and safety of the vaccines and 37% are concerned that children who are not healthy, or who have underlying diseases, may develop serious side effects.

Sorry, but that seems abnormally high to me. Not enough actual scientific evidence given to them and too much temple gossip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but that seems abnormally high to me. Not enough actual scientific evidence given to them and too much temple gossip. 

Perhaps in Thailand temple gossip = 'scientific evidence' ....

That’s very interesting as I understand Pfizer at a third of the dose is being given to children here.

We are pro vaccine and our daughter soon to be six has had every vaccine since born

We have been waiting for more information although some older children we know have had Pfizer with no side effects 

My wife and I have had three Covid vaccines.

A week ago our daughter spent three days in hospital with Covid although ok now, my wife also contracted with flu like symptoms 

Hopefully my daughter may now have some natural immunity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

That’s very interesting as I understand Pfizer at a third of the dose is being given to children here.

We are pro vaccine and our daughter soon to be six has had every vaccine since born

We have been waiting for more information although some older children we know have had Pfizer with no side effects 

My wife and I have had three Covid vaccines.

A week ago our daughter spent three days in hospital with Covid although ok now, my wife also contracted with flu like symptoms 

Hopefully my daughter may now have some natural immunity.

Good to hear your daughter recovered well.  I am confident your wife will as well. I took the COVID shots, too, just for the reason to help me with the symptoms should I contract it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Good to hear your daughter recovered well.  I am confident your wife will as well. I took the COVID shots, too, just for the reason to help me with the symptoms should I contract it.

Thanks for your comments.

The risk of serious COVID vaccine side effects in young children is extremely rare.  The heart inflammation issue that's appeared in reports is more common, though still rare, among male teenagers and young adults as opposed to ages 5-11 children, where it's even less of an issue.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/childrens-health/11-things-to-know-about-covid-vaccines-and-kids-hearts

11 things to know about COVID vaccines and kids’ hearts

"This heart inflammation known as myocarditis and pericarditis after COVID vaccination is very rare. Most cases have also been mild and short-lived, with patients recovering after a few days.

The risk is low, seen in less than 1 in 20,000 vaccinated children ages 12-17 (and even less frequently in other groups) with symptoms usually appearing within one to four days after the second dose.

It’s important to note that while also rare, a COVID-19 infection is more likely to trigger heart inflammation than a vaccine."

Also, right now, both the U.S. and the U.K. have approved and are using the Pfizer vaccine for children:

England to offer Covid jab to five to 11-year-olds

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60406155

CDC Recommends Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 Years

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1102-PediatricCOVID-19Vaccine.html

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also, right now, both the U.S. and the U.K. have approved and are using the Pfizer vaccine for children:

England to offer Covid jab to five to 11-year-olds

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60406155

CDC Recommends Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 Years

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1102-PediatricCOVID-19Vaccine.html

Well if they said so we better just go with the flow then!!

Jarvis, pull up COVID death statistics grouped by age, give percent of deaths that had 4+ comorbidities.  The sniffles and coof will take out the children!

3 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Or Thailand is one of those countries where Science is not a religion and people still have basic common sense.

We know what basic common sense in Thailand is! At least those of us who have lived here and travelled here for a decade or two! Solid point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

We know what basic common sense in Thailand is! At least those of us who have lived here and travelled here for a decade or two! Solid point

I've lived here for nearly 15 years, in four different provinces, sometimes the only farang in town so I know exactly what I'm on about.

What I refer to as cultures with basic common sense are essentially those with rural populations on whom you can only impose so much BS before they just tell you to <deleted> off. India is another example.

9 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I've lived here for nearly 15 years, in four different provinces, sometimes the only farang in town so I know exactly what I'm on about.

What I refer to as cultures with basic common sense are essentially those with rural populations on whom you can only impose so much BS before they just tell you to <deleted> off. India is another example.

In the beginning I got the vaccine early because the villagers didn't dare to have it, and only me and my gf from the family took it. Then we convinst the father, and nobody else was willing to have it. Then the second wave came, and everybody wanted it. 

I do not know the common sense you talking about at all. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

In the beginning I got the vaccine early because the villagers didn't dare to have it, and only me and my gf from the family took it. Then we convinst the father, and nobody else was willing to have it. Then the second wave came, and everybody wanted it. 

I do not know the common sense you talking about at all. 

Your example is one anecdotal report .  Saying that then "everybody wanted it"  could be a bit of a stretch.   Unfortunately,  it seems the villagers did not know the village where my friends wife family lives.   After one of them got the shot and then suddenly became incapacitated ,  nobady in the village wanted anything to do with it.  

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, rumak said:

Your example is one anecdotal report .  Saying that then "everybody wanted it"  could be a bit of a stretch.   Unfortunately,  it seems the villagers did not know the village where my friends wife family lives.   After one of them got the shot and then suddenly became incapacitated ,  nobady in the village wanted anything to do with it.  

I refered to the family, and yes everyone in the family (uncles, anties, grandparents, cousins,,,,,,,nephews, niese) are now vaccinated. The availability Of vaccines first badge was great, and I got mine long time before my age group was admitted. 

After it got difficult to get because of availability the second wave, yes it seemed like the whole village wanted a jab. 

5 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

A new marketing gimmick will need to be devised to coerce these holdouts into acting responsibly.

Perhaps making up an absurd invisible danger, that instills fear, that can't be reproduced by experiment, using science to sell it under the illusion of care.  Voila!

Im sure the WHO have some good marketing doctors.

A post with out-of-date, inaccurate information regarding the UK's use of the Pfizer vaccine for children ages 5-11 has been removed, along with ensuing replies.

See the following:

Which COVID-19 vaccine will children get?

"Children will be given the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for both doses.

Children aged 5 to 11 will be given smaller doses than older children and adults."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-for-children/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-for-children-aged-5-to-15/

Advice

"JCVI advises a non-urgent offer of two 10 mcg doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (Comirnaty®) to children aged 5 to 11 years of age who are not in a clinical risk group. The 2 doses should be offered with an interval of at least 12 weeks between doses."

Serious adverse events following vaccination are extremely rare in this age group. In the United States, less than 2 cases of vaccine-related myocarditis have been reported per million doses."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/jcvi-update-on-advice-for-covid-19-vaccination-of-children-aged-5-to-11/jcvi-statement-on-vaccination-of-children-aged-5-to-11-years-old

Even Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla now admits that this is a novel technology, so I trust you (and lots of other users of this forum) will now stop spreading such misinformation.

“mRNA was a technology, but we had less experience, only two years working on this, and actually, mRNA was a technology that never delivered a single product until that day, not vaccine, not any other medicine.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/washington-post-live/2022/03/10/transcript-wp-subscriber-exclusive-albert-bourla-author-moonshot-inside-pfizers-nine-month-race-make-impossible-possible/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Even Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla now admits that this is a novel technology, so I trust you (and lots of other users of this forum) will now stop spreading such misinformation.

“mRNA was a technology, but we had less experience, only two years working on this, and actually, mRNA was a technology that never delivered a single product until that day, not vaccine, not any other medicine.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/washington-post-live/2022/03/10/transcript-wp-subscriber-exclusive-albert-bourla-author-moonshot-inside-pfizers-nine-month-race-make-impossible-possible/

His comment above was that it was a relatively new technology for Pfizer as a company, the two year reference, not toward mRNA technology in general, where it has been studied for decades.

mRNA Vaccines Are Newly Available to the Public But Have Been Studied for Decades

"mRNA vaccines have been studied before for flu, Zika, rabies, and cytomegalovirus (CMV). As soon as the necessary information about the virus that causes COVID-19 was available, scientists began designing the mRNA instructions for cells to build the unique spike protein into an mRNA vaccine.

Beyond vaccines, cancer research has used mRNA to trigger the immune system to target specific cancer cells."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

AND

MYTH: The messenger RNA technology used to make the COVID-19 vaccine is brand new.

"FACT: The mRNA technology behind the new coronavirus vaccines has been in development for almost two decades. Vaccine makers created the technology to help them respond quickly to a new pandemic illness, such as COVID-19.

The COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna were created with a method that has been in development for years, so the companies could start the vaccine development process early in the pandemic."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines-myth-versus-fact

AND

The Long History of mRNA Vaccines

"There’s a big gap between when the first mRNA flu vaccine was tested in mice in the 1990s and when the first mRNA vaccines for rabies were tested in humans in 2013. What was happening in the interim?

The early years of mRNA research were marked by a lot of enthusiasm for the technology but some difficult technical challenges that took a great deal of innovation to overcome.

The first mRNA vaccines using these fatty envelopes were developed against the deadly Ebola virus, but since that virus is only found in a limited number of African countries, it had no commercial development in the U.S."

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/the-long-history-of-mrna-vaccines

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

His comment above was that it was a relatively new technology for Pfizer as a company, the two year reference, not toward mRNA technology in general, where it has been studied for decades.

mRNA Vaccines Are Newly Available to the Public But Have Been Studied for Decades

"mRNA vaccines have been studied before for flu, Zika, rabies, and cytomegalovirus (CMV). As soon as the necessary information about the virus that causes COVID-19 was available, scientists began designing the mRNA instructions for cells to build the unique spike protein into an mRNA vaccine.

Beyond vaccines, cancer research has used mRNA to trigger the immune system to target specific cancer cells."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

AND

MYTH: The messenger RNA technology used to make the COVID-19 vaccine is brand new.

FACT: The mRNA technology behind the new coronavirus vaccines has been in development for almost two decades. Vaccine makers created the technology to help them respond quickly to a new pandemic illness, such as COVID-19.

The COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna were created with a method that has been in development for years, so the companies could start the vaccine development process early in the pandemic."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines-myth-versus-fact

I was replying to an erroneous statement (now deleted) by another user which claimed mRNA vaccines were almost identical to previous vaccines developed for other diseases. Lots of users of this forum claim they like facts, so I encourage them to acknowledge all facts, including those which contradict their previous stances.

11 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I was replying to an erroneous statement (now deleted) by another user which claimed mRNA vaccines were almost identical to previous vaccines developed for other diseases.

See above: there had been a prior mRNA vaccine developed against Ebola.

So, what happened once they figured out this technology?

"The first mRNA vaccines using these fatty envelopes were developed against the deadly Ebola virus, but since that virus is only found in a limited number of African countries, it had no commercial development in the U.S.

Then COVID-19 hit … what happened then?

...Thanks to decades of research and innovation, mRNA vaccine technology was ready. ... Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine is the first mRNA product to achieve full FDA approval in the U.S."

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

See above: there had been a prior mRNA vaccine developed against Ebola.

So, what happened once they figured out this technology?

"The first mRNA vaccines using these fatty envelopes were developed against the deadly Ebola virus, but since that virus is only found in a limited number of African countries, it had no commercial development in the U.S.

Then COVID-19 hit … what happened then?

...Thanks to decades of research and innovation, mRNA vaccine technology was ready. With COVID, this technology got its moment and has proven to be extremely safe and effective. Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine is the first mRNA product to achieve full FDA approval in the U.S."

The mRNA Ebola vaccine was FDA-approved in December 2019, this is an important fact to consider with regards to claims that this technology was used for vaccines prior to Covid (which broke out in December 2019 also):

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/first-fda-approved-vaccine-prevention-ebola-virus-disease-marking-critical-milestone-public-health