Anutin: Ministers at odds over use of banned chemicals paraquat and chlorpyrifos

webfact

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Glyphosate, sold as Roundup, has been banned in dozens of countries worldwide and by multiple Australian local governments because of its toxicity to humans.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-07-20/glyphosate-ban-could-cost-farmers-hundreds-of-thousands-/100307322

I actually held a permit to use chlorpyrifos and attended a government course to get it. I intended to use it in one of its 3 forms, in tubes branded Mirant for use against mastotermes darwiniensis, a large termite which attacks young and stressed mango trees. It was illegal to use it on the actual trees themselves. I never used it as I discovered that the termites only attack young trees in newly cleared and disturbed ground near the perimeter lines of native bush land. It was therefore preferable to put up with some losses for a few years until things stabilised. It is still legal as an under slab treatment for that termite in my state alone. The other form was a more diluted air spray which is the most dangerous form. I think it's use in that form is now banned.

Roundup is not banned in Thailand.

One reason i like paraquat is you can apply same day before seeding.

Using roundup i usually wait 14 days before seeding.

In Thailand's tropical weather if you get heavy rain in between the 14 days waiting for the roundup to work it may be another 2-3 weeks before you can get back on the land.

So roundup 1st and paraquat as a backup.