What to do 2.5 years later. Was it a big mistake..

Hi guys -- What to do..

In January 2020 i bought a Ford Fiesta 1.5s Auto -Full ford history 38 k in miles .New tyres. Left in February 2020 with the intention off returning full time a couple off months later. Car would be there to use right away.. Off course that did not happen. The car was newly serviced taxed and insured and a friend for the first year drove the car for a small distance every week.

For the last 18 months the car has sat on the driveway --Started -rolled back and forward a few times once a week and washed and kept clean.

Now it has --No insurance and no Road tax .So not been on the road now for 18 months.

Will it be best to get the car put onto  a low loader to a service centre or drive it there. Remember it has no tax or insurance on it.

What would you do??

Would you---Change --

All the fluids including gearbox service--oil -Coolant -Brake fluid- steering fluid 

Will i go the whole hog and get the cambelt-- tensioner-- and water pump changed and the coolant - and antifreeze.

The brakes --??????

I am worried about the tyres as well . 

The car was sitting in a carport but the sunlight was still hitting the car part off the day.

What will the UV do to rubber tyres in that time. I have no experience with that as  i come from a cold -wet country. Not a lot of sun.

For safety would you change and renew the 4 tyres.

Its the wife's car and i do not want a safety issue with it.

To make matters worse .

I have a Yamaha 135 c c with 12000kilos mint condition unmoved in a bedroom inside a house for 2.5 years.

This had Michelin new tyres and a new battery fitted just before we left 2.5 years ago.

Its been sitting on its tyres in the bedroom unmoved and never been started.

I take it the battery will be gubbed and as its the last off the carburettor model will i get the petrol lines drained and the carburettor serviced

Is it best to -Manually pushed to the garage and not tried to start on old waxy fuel.

Any advice Appreciated.

• Sad 3

Great advice above. I think the weekly stating does more harm than good. 

If it had fresh oil when you parked it, I would check the fluid levels and air the tires and then just order a battery from B-Quick or one of the others that will deliver and see how it runs and drives.

The first time I started it I would try to drive it at speed for about twenty minutes to get everything hot and dried out. 

How much fuel was in it? 

• Like 1

I had a Triumph Stag on blocks in my garage due to being away on military service abroad on my return it took me all of 2 hours to have the motor running another 1 hour replacing the oil spark plugs and tyre pressure if you know you going to be away for a while always lift the car by using blocks and removing the wheels it’s that simple .

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much, many classic cars are laid up for years with  probs. 

If it was parked up when dry then it should be a breeze, just start it a treat it gently getting to B-Quik to change the oil. Oh, check tyre pressures if you can.

Test the A/C is working OK, A/C should not be left for long periods without being energised every month or so... 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice and replies.

HauptmannUK -seems to know what he is talking about. Now i know how to check the manufacture date for the tyres from the internet. They should be about 3 years old. Will check when we get back next month. Well everything is next month. 

The air-con --i never even thought about admittedly. Must be many places in Pattaya that will do an air -con service. Yes i have aircon in my car in Scotland but never use it --only the heater. --I will find out about that.

The car has been started weekly and rolled back and forth on the driveway for the last 18 months so really the brakes have not been used-  It s a Thai lady that is doing it so does not know cars. She is doing me a favour so i do not want to push and ask to many questions at the moment. Ok we pay her but she does look after the garden and washes the car regularly.

I think there is about a quarter tank of petrol left in the car but has not had any fresh petrol for 18 months now.

The car has a fault with the central locking now and will not lock. That will get looked into. She tapes the door closed.

The timing belt i think i will get done along with the water pump and fluids ete.

The car has 4 ford main dealer stamps at 60k kilometers. The last service would be 2.5 years ago. So i want to get the service book stamped.

We were recommended an ex Ford Mechanic and did take a run to find out where his workshop was.

Again that was 2.5 years ago. It was on the 2 lane railway line road heading south about 3miles down on the left hand side from ner plugwan. My wife did speak to him. I think i remember seeing a blue Ford sign Hanging up amongst the clutter.

Does anybody know if he is still there or know any good Ford mechanic that i can go to..

Regard's the motors bike.

There is a motor bike repair shop about 300yds down the road from our house. It is like Steptoe and Sons scrapyard judging by the amount off scrap and bits  and pieces lying about.

I will make a list out and wheel it down there .It had a new battery used about 4 weeks -Same with the tyres 

Hopefully the tyres will be ok.

I will get the car insured as soon as we get back and get the paperwork sorted then carefully drive to whatever workshop will do the necessary.

Open to any recommendations for  the car to be repaired at. I know of no one or no where at the moment .

Must be in Pattaya.

Thanks for the help..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

HauptmannUK -seems to know what he is talking about. Now i know how to check the manufacture date for the tyres from the internet. They should be about 3 years old. Will check when we get back next month. Well everything is next month. 

The air-con --i never even thought about admittedly. Must be many places in Pattaya that will do an air -con service. Yes i have aircon in my car in Scotland but never use it --only the heater. --I will find out about that.

The car has been started weekly and rolled back and forth on the driveway for the last 18 months so really the brakes have not been used-  It s a Thai lady that is doing it so does not know cars. She is doing me a favour so i do not want to push and ask to many questions at the moment. Ok we pay her but she does look after the garden and washes the car regularly.

I think there is about a quarter tank of petrol left in the car but has not had any fresh petrol for 18 months now.

The car has a fault with the central locking now and will not lock. That will get looked into. She tapes the door closed.

The timing belt i think i will get done along with the water pump and fluids ete.

The car has 4 ford main dealer stamps at 60k kilometers. The last service would be 2.5 years ago. So i want to get the service book stamped.

We were recommended an ex Ford Mechanic and did take a run to find out where his workshop was.

Again that was 2.5 years ago. It was on the 2 lane railway line road heading south about 3miles down on the left hand side from ner plugwan. My wife did speak to him. I think i remember seeing a blue Ford sign Hanging up amongst the clutter.

Does anybody know if he is still there or know any good Ford mechanic that i can go to..

There is a motor bike repair shop about 300yds down the road from our house. It is like Steptoe and Sons scrapyard judging by the amount off scrap and bits  and pieces lying about.

I will make a list out and wheel it down there .It had a new battery used about 4 weeks -Same with the tyres 

I will get the car insured as soon as we get back and get the paperwork sorted then carefully drive to whatever workshop will do the necessary.

Open to any recommendations for  the car to be repaired at. I know of no one or no where at the moment .

Must be in Pattaya.

Thanks for the help..

Worth a try, get a new battery for the key fob, she can get that done easy in town at a key place. If the key battery is flat, it will not lock the car.

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Worth a try, get a new battery for the key fob, she can get that done easy in town at a key place. If the key battery is flat, it will not lock the car.

If the fob battery is flat, the engine would not start. 

• Confused 4
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, simon43 said:

If I were you, I'd throw the whole car away and start again afresh..... ????

Sheesh!  I left a car standing for more than a year in hot Thailand.  Came back, recharged the battery and all was fine.

Tax? MoT?  Remind me what those are....

The neighbor in my condo who left his BMW sitting for the past 2 years returned finally last week.  The car was covered in dust and tires flat.  He aired the tires up cleaned the window and had a service come and pick it up.  Had it taken to the dealer he said and it cost him just over 30k to have them go through it, check the system, flush the fuel tank and put 4 new tires on as the sidewalls were severely cracked.  He drove it back and it looks like a new car, even had the dealership do the road tax and he bought his insurance through RooJai.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Most people worry far too much about having a car standing for a year or two. I can give some advice (based on association with our family car sales and servicing business since I was a youngster) having dealt with cars that have been standing for very long periods...

1. Brakes usually suffer worst. Check/clean corrosion from discs and check slide pins are free and pistons move without sticking. This is the number one problem we encounter.

2. Check tyres for any perishing or cracking. Check the date code - anything up to 7 years is ok. They will be flat-spotted, but inflate to correct pressure and after a few miles of driving they should even out and be OK. 

3. Coolant - just change at manfrs recommended interval. No need to do it before.

4. Brake fluid is mildly hygroscopic. Change every three years.

5. Gear oil change at recommended time/mileage interval - no need to change earlier.

6. You can run and drive the car - then change engine oil and filter when convenient.

7. New battery will be required.

8. Check all rubber belts and gaiters for cracking and vermin attack - but will likely be fine.

9. Check cabin filter for fungal growth - no need to replace if clean.

10. Check A/C operation.

11. Petrol will be stale - refill with fresh ASAP

Cars with leather interiors often suffer mold growth - will need a good clean.

We run an ozone generator or cleaning bomb in the car to freshen it up.

You will need to tax, pay back-tax and insure it. No need for low loader.

Or, take it for a quiet drive for 10 minutes and stop worrying

• Like 2

Excellent advice obove but really it is not an exclusive sports car...

If tank holds only a quarter just fill it up with fresh fuel, check oil level if raised /diluted with fuel from all those carport starts. If ok just start and drive it a few days to see if some brakes drags, can easily feel by hand if too hot. Good chance they will be okay, no salty roads there as in our home coutries.
Same with the bike, but siphon out the few liters of old fuel before filling up. Then a new battery and try to start it, thats how the repair shop will do it anyway. The Michelins will be okay, except if air escaped and now flat

• Like 1

Good point about the key fob.

I brought the spare key with me to the uk. The one with the chip. I now have 2 here!

I have had a new key cut and programmed here in the uk.

There is a method you do when you use the new key for the first time so the car cpu recognises the new key.

Again that was 2.5 years ago.

She is using the old key.

When you put the key into the ignition the transponder communicates with the cpu to let the brain off the car know that it is good to start. Is that correct ?The car does start ok but the central locking is not working.

I bet you are right--The key fob Battery..

Good fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

If the key battery is flat, it will not lock the car.

The Key can be removed from the fob and you can physically lock the door.

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

If the fob battery is flat, the engine would not start. 

Hold the fob up to the start button, and you can start the car even with no battery in it at all.      

• Like 1

Had a honda civic here in Scotland for 7 years.

The car only travelled 3 to 4 k a year with the wife driving to her work nightshift.

In that time i put on 2 sets off discs and pads and changed all the wheel callipers --some twice,

You would drive away if the car was sitting for 2 or 3 days and hearing the grinding off the rust coming off the brake discs. The salt on the Scottish roads rusted up the discs in no time.

Insurance i used was axa i think in Pattaya last time. Run out now but had an internet quote from rooja recently for 5k baht less than axa quoted.

I need to get to the paperwork to sort out so cannot insure just now.

7 minutes ago, woodsplinter said:

Good point about the key fob.

I brought the spare key with me to the uk. The one with the chip. I now have 2 here!

I have had a new key cut and programmed here in the uk.

There is a method you do when you use the new key for the first time so the car cpu recognises the new key.

Again that was 2.5 years ago.

She is using the old key.

When you put the key into the ignition the transponder communicates with the cpu to let the brain off the car know that it is good to start. Is that correct ?The car does start ok but the central locking is not working.

I bet you are right--The key fob Battery..

Good fun.

I thought they were keyless start. key fob in the car press the brake and start,  it must be in park or neutral. Put The Key in the ignition ? is that still a thing for a modern saloon car?

1 minute ago, woodsplinter said:

Had a honda civic here in Scotland for 7 years.

The car only travelled 3 to 4 k a year with the wife driving to her work nightshift.

In that time i put on 2 sets off discs and pads and changed all the wheel callipers --some twice,

You would drive away if the car was sitting for 2 or 3 days and hearing the grinding off the rust coming off the brake discs. The salt on the Scottish roads rusted up the discs in no time.

Insurance i used was axa i think in Pattaya last time. Run out now but had an internet quote from rooja recently for 5k baht less than axa quoted.

I need to get to the paperwork to sort out so cannot insure just now.

Some people drive on their brakes, others use engine to slow down, but salt is a different matter.

3 hours ago, woodsplinter said:

Must be in Pattaya.

Thanks for the help..

I'm not 100% sure which engine your car has or how old it is.  I suspect its the 'Indian' 1.5 Ti-VCT - in which case the cambelt is 96 months or 100k miles. If due then best get it changed by the dealer.

Starting a car for a few minutes every week does more harm than good. If storing a car the best way is out of the sun, battery disconnected and tyres clear of the ground - if possible. 

Edited by HauptmannUK

3 hours ago, woodsplinter said:

Must be in Pattaya.

Thanks for the help..

It would be a 35-40 minute drive down Rt. 7 /36 for you from Pattaya (easy drive, I commute this route every day), but if this guy is still open in Rayong, I highly recommend him for Fords.  I was given his contact by the husband of a woman I work with who is a serious motor head.  Had my Ford Ranger leaking air intake troubleshot and repaired in minutes, for less than 1000 baht and as a bonus the Ford dealership is just around the corner so he can get legitimate parts very quickly.

There were only Ford vehicles, both trucks and cars, in his shop.  Well-organized and clean shop as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/MAxwAHyXXUoGxzmZ9

Thought I had his phone number, but unfortunately do not any more.  There is no sign or phone number on the building unfortunately.

• Like 1

Ask people whether they should do the right thing but which costs money or do the wrong thing which is cheap or free and 99% of time on here you will get the same response because generally, most people on here and in truth, most retirees in Thailand don't have enough money. Harsh words but I lived there for a decade, up and down country and it is sadly true. Then again, ask in the UK and the same "save your money" types respond.

Of course, if you have tyres that have been sitting in the sun for years then replace them but also buy proper quality tyres, not the cheapest or only set that Somchai has. Not cheap and we run 3 vehicles where the bill falls onto my desk.

The naysayers will of course say that nothing will happen and in all likelihood they are correct but all you'll get from them is a mai pen rai or RIP comment if something did go wrong. Old tyres are no good and your inner self tells you that. Its true, multiplied by infinity if sitting in the sun.

• Like 1

HauptmannUK---I think you are right--its a 1.5s cvt. Did not know it was Indian.

Hindsight again. If i had known -Take the wheels off it -put it on axle stands and remove the battery would have been the way to go. Lesson learnt.

The mileage is 38k in miles and the car is coming up 9 years old so looks like a cambelt.

The reason i am asking about all this is just -over a year ago i bought a Suzuki sx4 with a Fiat 1.9 JTD diesel engine with 103k on it. It was old guy in his 80,s that had it. In scotland by the way.

I spent a week cleaning it out -polishing ete .and then got a cambelt tensioner and pump change at a cost off £440 pounds.

I then bought  discs -pads- drums- shoes spring kit and all the service parts for a 1.9 jtd diesel including ,heater plugs ,oil filters air filter ete.

The brake parts will fit a Suzuki sx4 All  around brakes for 2008 -10 vintage  Petrol or diesel. I believe they will fit a fiat sedici as well.

I still have all these parts including oil and are free to anybody that is willing to pick them up at my house due to the weight.  In the UK.The value is around £200.00.I can supply photos if required. Remember -no good to me now -so free.

I had my own mobile mechanic who was going to fit these parts and as the mot was good for only 2 months i told him to MOT it.

He duly went to Edinburgh with the car and came back 3 hours later with no car.

The car was going through the mot test and on a diesel they rev at high revs and hold it for a few seconds.

He told me the engine started to make funny noises and then engine blew up.

Good car -Good body- Wrecked engine. Something failed on the emission test -i will never know.

I was stuck with it and as there was storage charges at the garage i told the owner to keep the car and scrap it.

I was not right for about a week I lost £2500 pounds on that.

It was no comfort to be told that having done thousands of Mots this was the first he had heard off blowing up.

Later that day my mechanic heard of a VW golf diesel at a garage near Edinburgh airport through the grapevine .

Same thing on MOT emissions test -The engine blew up.

The items pictured below are free if you can arrange pick up ..Uk only..

IMG_20220510_141553.jpg

IMG_20220510_141722.jpg

IMG_20220510_141644.jpg

IMG_20220510_141146.jpg

IMG_20220510_142940.jpg

IMG_20220510_141834.jpg

IMG_20220510_141618.jpg

IMG_20220510_141905.jpg

IMG_20220510_143127.jpg

IMG_20220510_143222.jpg

N8 sail

Duly noted. I will check this out when i get to Thailand.

Thanks for the info.

SGD- agree - I like to keep things right and like preventative maintenance.

I can never under stand how people can run about in there cars costing a lot off money and the inside is like the local council tip..

• Like 1

Of course, if you want to be 100% careful replace everything. But the chances are that it will be OK. In the UK, had a 10 year old small car, which i left on the driveway my first year here. Just charged the battery up and after 5 minutes turning engine over, it started. Next year left inside a garage, came back, charged battery, started first time! I then took the car on a tour of Scotland with my son. Had a 110,000 miles on the clock, and never had to change any parts those last 2 years. I then sold it, as I didn't really need a car in UK anymore, but mainly because finding parking for 9-10 months a year was a hassle, plus the tax, MOT and insurance.

Car tyres? Deterioration is similar whether used or not in Thailand, depends on if in the sun or not, but you should get at least 5 years, just check for cracks and drive slowly for a few miles at first. All my tyres i have retired in Thailand due to nail punctures or low tread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SGD said:

Ask people whether they should do the right thing but which costs money or do the wrong thing which is cheap or free and 99% of time on here you will get the same response because generally, most people on here and in truth, most retirees in Thailand don't have enough money. Harsh words but I lived there for a decade, up and down country and it is sadly true. Then again, ask in the UK and the same "save your money" types respond.

Of course, if you have tyres that have been sitting in the sun for years then replace them but also buy proper quality tyres, not the cheapest or only set that Somchai has. Not cheap and we run 3 vehicles where the bill falls onto my desk.

The naysayers will of course say that nothing will happen and in all likelihood they are correct but all you'll get from them is a mai pen rai or RIP comment if something did go wrong. Old tyres are no good and your inner self tells you that. Its true, multiplied by infinity if sitting in the sun.

Are the tires not in the sun whether you drive the car or not? Guys like you crack me up. 

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

Of course, if you want to be 100% careful replace everything. But the chances are that it will be OK. In the UK, had a 10 year old small car, which i left on the driveway my first year here. Just charged the battery up and after 5 minutes turning engine over, it started. Next year left inside a garage, came back, charged battery, started first time! I then took the car on a tour of Scotland with my son. Had a 110,000 miles on the clock, and never had to change any parts those last 2 years. I then sold it, as I didn't really need a car in UK anymore, but mainly because finding parking for 9-10 months a year was a hassle, plus the tax, MOT and insurance.

Car tyres? Deterioration is similar whether used or not in Thailand, depends on if in the sun or not, but you should get at least 5 years, just check for cracks and drive slowly for a few miles at first. All my tyres i have retired in Thailand due to nail punctures or low tread.

The 1.5 petrol is called the 'Indian' engine because it was designed for the Indian market but then later also used in Thailand to get the car into a lower tax class than the 1.6 engine.

Regarding the snapped cambelt on the SX4. Yes it does happen. Its on the smoke test where the engine is revved to the limiter. Our business in the UK does MoTs and have a sign up stating we accept no liability for cambelt failure. I used to do MoTs but never had one snap.  Another tester did however. Was on a Vauxhall used as a taxi. The driver wasn't happy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hauptmann Uk

I wondered why the1.5 instead of 1.6 which you get in the uk .Now i know.

The engine does not feel near as powerful as a 1.6 but i put that down to being an automatic. Good ladies car though.

I have put down losing that car that day as bad luck and yes have seen the warning posters put up in those quick fit tyre places that do MOT,s --I always wondered about that. So it does happen..
Thks.

13 hours ago, woodsplinter said:

HauptmannUK---I think you are right--its a 1.5s cvt. Did not know it was Indian.

Hindsight again. If i had known -Take the wheels off it -put it on axle stands and remove the battery would have been the way to go. Lesson learnt.

The mileage is 38k in miles and the car is coming up 9 years old so looks like a cambelt.

The reason i am asking about all this is just -over a year ago i bought a Suzuki sx4 with a Fiat 1.9 JTD diesel engine with 103k on it. It was old guy in his 80,s that had it. In scotland by the way.

I spent a week cleaning it out -polishing ete .and then got a cambelt tensioner and pump change at a cost off £440 pounds.

I then bought  discs -pads- drums- shoes spring kit and all the service parts for a 1.9 jtd diesel including ,heater plugs ,oil filters air filter ete.

The brake parts will fit a Suzuki sx4 All  around brakes for 2008 -10 vintage  Petrol or diesel. I believe they will fit a fiat sedici as well.

I still have all these parts including oil and are free to anybody that is willing to pick them up at my house due to the weight.  In the UK.The value is around £200.00.I can supply photos if required. Remember -no good to me now -so free.

I had my own mobile mechanic who was going to fit these parts and as the mot was good for only 2 months i told him to MOT it.

He duly went to Edinburgh with the car and came back 3 hours later with no car.

The car was going through the mot test and on a diesel they rev at high revs and hold it for a few seconds.

He told me the engine started to make funny noises and then engine blew up.

Good car -Good body- Wrecked engine. Something failed on the emission test -i will never know.

I was stuck with it and as there was storage charges at the garage i told the owner to keep the car and scrap it.

I was not right for about a week I lost £2500 pounds on that.

It was no comfort to be told that having done thousands of Mots this was the first he had heard off blowing up.

Later that day my mechanic heard of a VW golf diesel at a garage near Edinburgh airport through the grapevine .

Same thing on MOT emissions test -The engine blew up.

The items pictured below are free if you can arrange pick up ..Uk only..

Another reason you might want to drive it a bit before you start dumping a bunch of money in tires and timing belts and whatnot. 

I would put a battery in it, check the brakes and tires and drive it at speed for twenty minutes with the AC on and then take it for an oil change. 

If the AC is working well, don't mess with it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pooreye said:

Excellent advice obove but really it is not an exclusive sports car...

If tank holds only a quarter just fill it up with fresh fuel,

If it has gasahol in the tank it will have gone rotten.

Needs to be drain and the fuel system flushed.

• Like 1