Airport drama!: Man injured in turbulence - airline refuses to take responsibility

webfact

By far the most common cause of nonfatal injuries on commercial airlines is turbulence. However An airline is only liable if the injury was caused by one of its employees (such as the cabin crew, pilots, maintenance workers, or ground crew members) or by the negligent operating procedures of the airline itself. Interestingly enough Hundreds of flight attendants have been the victim of turbulence incidents, many of whom sustained serious or even fatal injuries. While it is entertaining to read all of the experts here on this forum, I do not see where any of them were on this flight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The police took the report and called

Mother Nature to see if she wanted to settle out of court.

She referred them to her lawyer AKA god…she refused to comment on the case but did say that the ******** concerned should watch his derrière the next time he stepped out during a storm. 

Edited by Bluespunk

I use a lot of domestic flights and one thing, irrespective of route or airline have all of them in common.

NOBODY listens to the crew on safety, nobody pays attention to anything the cabin crew says, be it "switch off the phones", "no outside food" nor "keep your seat belts fastened whenever seated". 

Thainess at its very best, rules are here to be broken or at least bent and if the proverbial manure hits the wind-moving machinery ........... 

4 hours ago, mvdf said:

I remember flying BKK to CNX few years ago. I was on a window seat. During the take-off roll this obese guy sitting next to me (wedged between me and aisle seat) farted. The smell almost made me faint and he looked around obliviously, seemingly unaware of the nuclear reek he caused. I was literally imprisoned on that window seat and forced to inhale wafts of his evil-smelling flatus. To make matters worse, the seat belt sign was not switched off for ages and he was shooting silent killer mini farts until the aircraft reached cruising altitude.

Gave me spells of dizziness and headache even after landing. Panadol and coffee gave me some relief. No rescue services required. Pre-mask days so there was no escape from the vented gases.

Flatulence beats Turbulence then !
Subterranean Gas Pocket released after 20-30 Years trapped…festering & mutating …. Eyeeww ????????????

???????????? Wetted Cloth over Nose & Mouth protects against most minor Gas or Smoke Inhalation ????????????????????

Everyone is suing these days, here in the US the major news channels are supported by the lawyers suing insurance companys. On the sides of busses , internet, major TV channels.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:52 PM, TropicalGuy said:

Subterranean Gas Pocket released after 20-30 Years trapped…festering & mutating …. Eyeeww ????????????

???????????? Wetted Cloth over Nose & Mouth protects against most minor Gas or Smoke Inhalation ????????????????????

He was obviously not aware of the touted health benefits?

Screenshot_20220520-072122_Google.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Seems to be a modern trend to hold others responsible for self.

Presuming there was an announcement  to return to seats and strap in as turbulence is  expected, they can do little more. If it was random, well I might expect the airline to at least cover the ambulance. 

8 hours ago, garyk said:

Everyone is suing these days, here in the US the major news channels are supported by the lawyers suing insurance companys. On the sides of busses , internet, major TV channels.

Ambulance chasers have been around for decades my friend it is nothing new.  My family was sued because a man stepped n the wet sidewalk from water runoff from the grass, in the end the insurance company just settled to make hm go away.  These days apparently your not responsible for you own actions.

Was the man sitting up in the chair the right way, did he have pre-existing back issues which were exacerbated by the turbulence, was the seatbelt worn appropriately, or was it to loose.....as I said no one takes any responsibility for the things they do anymore.  ergo...I must have dozed off, microsleep, before I crashed, not my fault as my boss made me work 5 10 hour days but its not my fault for partying for another 10 and sleeping only 4.....

20 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Effective incapacitating weapon. And criminal timing it was. Take-off roll and climb to cruising altitude. Positively toxic tactic. In retrospect, crew were probably complicit. Seatbelt sign was on for what seemed like an eternity and so was the sloth-like climb before the plane leveled off. 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:46 AM, hotchilli said:

I have 33 years in aviation, starting back in 1976 as an apprentice.

My worst flight was on an Omani private BAC 1-11 jet, just completed a month of extensive mods and a refit to the interior which was personalised.

The aircraft was going to do some flight tests as engines and other systems had been changed.

We couldn't use our own test pilot as it had an American crew and they were the only ones allowed to fly it.

After a day of searching for them, [they were on a local golf course] they turned up to to do the 3 hour test flight.

As it was late myself and another apprentice were told to stay late and to bring the aircraft into the hangar when it returned.

The flight pre-check was done, pilot did his usual walk around, asked us many questions regarding work done and then asked who would take charge of the aircraft on it's return.

We said we would be staying behind and wait for them.

He asked if we wanted to go up with them, absolutely was the answer.

So sitting back leather sofas and surrounded by gold trappings we felt great.

Until the 1st officer handed us the flight test sheet.

Towards the end of the list were Engine stalls, re-lights and then wind-mill starts...

Most interesting flight of my life...

I started flying in 1961.  I was 11 years old.  Traveling from Texas to New Jersey, to continue to Germany.    Was on a DC-3 that was like a greyhound bus, i.e., it stopped at every little airport to discharge and take on passenger.  

About halfway to New Jersey, plane took off from some tiny airport.  Right after wheels up plane made a sharp, hard, left turn and flew back to the runway ... and crashed!  Did a belly landing with gears up.  Fortunately no fire and no injuries to any one on the aircraft. 

Naive little idiot I was at the time, I thought it was the most exciting and fun thing I had happen that year!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, webfact said:

"The police said that they would wait to get the medical report before proceeding in the matter."

'Right, weather. Compensate this man here and now or else you're nicked....'

You would be amazed what folks try to blame the airline for to get something for nothing.

I work for Delta, and if it's the airlines fault, flight cancelled because of maintenance, crew issues etc we offer meals vouchers, hotels since the airline can control that.

But when a flight gets cancelled because of weather, we can't control that, and  thats when things get ugly.

I had a flight to Chicago today cancelled due to extreme storms. in ORD.

The inbound flight came in, but the outbound ferried out to Fort Wayne.

I had this guy 6 inches from my face screaming that I was a f****c*king liar.

I'd already rebooked him on the next available flight tomorrow, but no matter how much I tried to tell him, we can't control the weather, didn't make a scrap of difference

Edited by GinBoy2